Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: esims Across Multiple Devices

Feedback Score

esims Across Multiple Devices

Does anyone Know For Sure if you can put the same phone number as an esim into several different phones or tablets at the same time? I realize they cannot be active at the same time, but can they be installed and ready to be switched on if desired?

This might be an interesting experiment. I have done a simple web search without any findings mentioning this one way or another.

I understand it is possible to have more than one esim installed on a phone or tablet, but only one can be active at a time. This allows for quick switching between them when desired. I could see this being useful when traveling. especially internationally. You could switch off your USA carrier to use a roaming service like Airalo, both on esims. Most of the popular roaming carriers use esim, and many of use here have them as our primary line.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE, Galaxy a10e
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, Mobi
    Feedback Score
    I would doubt it. Like you can’t have multiple SIM cards with same number waiting for it to be inserted
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current primary phone. Now using both eSIM and nano SIM. And also have a Galaxy a10e as a backup travel phone.

Feedback Score
    I have pondered if this could be possible and cannot think of a reason carriers would need it to be prohibited.

For instance, if the same line were inactive on a second device, how would that be different than pulling a nano sim out and swapping it to that phone? Once you turned on the esim in the alternate, it would either give a popup to disable the primary, or would just swap service automatically. No carrier jeopardy would seem likely.

We actually seem to have this capability now, with the way we can retain esims on iPhones when either switching to a new phone or doing a backup/reset/restore function. Think of the possibilities, you could have your favorite phone numbers across your favorite devices interchangeably.

Feedback Score
    Think of the possibilities, you could have your favorite phone numbers across your favorite devices interchangeably. We actually seem to have this capability now, with the way we can retain esims on iPhones when either switching to a new phone or doing a backup/reset/restore function.
    Last edited by Serial Port; 12-25-2020 at 12:11 PM. Reason: duplicate information deleted from this post

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, Mobi
    Feedback Score
    If you have multiple lines how do you tell which one is active. If multiple phones are powered on, then it is like cloning and things like 2FA would be broken worse.

And that is assuming same carrier. What if you tried this across multiple carriers. How would it route.

This is different than moving a SIM between phones. This would be like having multiple active SIMs with the same number.

Feedback Score
    Here's some reddit threads mentioning no but without any hard proof.
    1 and 2

The closest thing might be something like google voice for number + data from shared bucket like DENT Teams or Google Fi shared data sim?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    If you have multiple lines how do you tell which one is active. If multiple phones are powered on, then it is like cloning and things like 2FA would be broken worse.

And that is assuming same carrier. What if you tried this across multiple carriers. How would it route.

This is different than moving a SIM between phones. This would be like having multiple active SIMs with the same number.
    With an iPhone you look in the Settings-Cellular to see what lines are active and of those, which are switched on. No matter how many phones have the esim installed, only one can be "ON" and it would prevent others from being switched on.

I don't see a problem with multiple carriers being any different, esim lline ON, or OFF. I have had different carrrier esims in the same device without any problems.

I am trying to find out if this type of configuration is a limitation of esims or by the carriers, or of the phones themselves. I just would like to know if a specific esim can be installed on more than one device at a time.

Remember that technically, you do have the same esim on two phones when you clone your new iPhone to your old one before you reset your old phone. I believe iTunes does this also when you do a backup and choose to save the esim settings. It is then possible to restore that esim to a different device of your choice.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, Mobi
    Feedback Score
    Until activated the eSIM on the new phone isn't functional, and when activated the old one is deactivated.

If the cellular industry decided to make a change, and allow cloning SIMs, then I'm sure Apple could make a change.

The problem with multiple carriers allowing eSIMS to share numbers is how does the system as a whole even work? Phone number 555-555-1555, for example, being tied to an account and phone on US Cellular. ATT. Verizon. Try to forward it to all possible carriers?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Until activated the eSIM on the new phone isn't functional, and when activated the old one is deactivated.

If the cellular industry decided to make a change, and allow cloning SIMs, then I'm sure Apple could make a change.

The problem with multiple carriers allowing eSIMS to share numbers is how does the system as a whole even work? Phone number 555-555-1555, for example, being tied to an account and phone on US Cellular. ATT. Verizon. Try to forward it to all possible carriers?
    Well then why can't that happen without it being a hardware swap or restore? You've kinda supported my theory that it shouldn't be a issue for the carriers in your first statement. I've done the hardware swap a few times but never tried to see if both esims were still functional.

I'm not trying to share a number across carriers, but have an esim number be available on different devices to be activated when desired. Turning on the number on phone "B" turns it off on phone "A". It would seem to be simple to implement and no harm done.

Feedback Score
    you can store multiple esims in an iphone, but you can only have one active at any one time. - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250249196

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    you can store multiple esims in an iphone, but you can only have one active at any one time. - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250249196
    In a general sort of way their description could be interpreted as allowing what I have proposed. I doubt that was the intent and I cannot find anything in several searches that really defines why this can or cannot work. I guess I will be trying to configure a test. I wish I would have thought of this when I was upgrading my 11 Pro Max to my 12 Pro Max. Or for that matter, my wife's XR to my old 11 Pro Max. All of which are on esim primary lines. It would have been so simple of a test. Oh Well.

Feedback Score
    I found some interesting info regarding T-Mobile's Paired Digits service. Here is a link to a description:

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/pla...-paired-digits

"Data with paired DIGITS acts as a copy of your existing phone number and allows up to five devices to share the same phone number. There's a low-speed data plan for wearables and a high-speed plan if used on multiple smartphones."

I'll be checking if they will set it up to be on two or more esims instead of an esim and nano sim. It would seem that once you had a nano sim cloned to your primary esim, that then could be converted to an esim via the on line manager tool.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, Mobi
    Feedback Score
    Digits is a way of sharing your phone number. But for any phone but the primary one with the SIM/eSIM that has that number, if it has an active SIM/eSIM, that number is different. If it is just a VoIP device (laptop, tablet), it is just an app that communicates via the internet and can use the phone number. For phones with active cellular accounts, they still have their own SIM/number and data plan.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 mini, iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon (Spectrum Mobile)
    Feedback Score
    Carriers already provide this functionality, but still distribute unique SIMs/eSIMs to each device. There would be no benefit to the carrier supporting actual cloned SIMs/eSIMs, but it would come with some drawbacks.

For example, consider cellular-connected smartwatches. If I activate the eSIM in a smartwatch, the carrier provisions it with the same phone number as the paired phone. The watch can receive calls to the same phone number using the cellular network, just like the phone can. If I want to deactivate the smartwatch and preserve service on the phone, the carrier can do that by simply deactivating the eSIM in the watch.

With that functionality already possible, why would the carriers want to support SIM cloning? This would introduce the potential for fraud and make managing individual devices/lines on the network more difficult. For example, if I want to deactivate the smartwatch line while keeping the phone active, how do I do that?

Likewise, the potential for malicious SIM cloning goes up once the mechanism and interface to support it becomes possible. Today, SIMs are deliberately designed to never output their private key, in order to help protect it. But if you're able to clone the SIM, you need a way to extract or output the key to create the clone.

Feedback Score
    My opinion on that is that if my watch and phone are using the same service & number, my account is charged the total usage. I am gaining nothing from the carrier in regards to services, merely portability and convenience. If phone A is active on the account and phone B becomes active on the account, then phone A becomes the inactive device.

Your comparison with the watch emphasizes this since it substitutes for phone B in this user setup. I do not see having esim portability putting the carrier at any greater exposure than nano sim portability. I'd be willing to bet the carriers already have a working model of this feature and will roll it out when it suits them. The phone/watch duality demonstrates their willingness to capitalize on convenience. A smaller phone for travel or rock climbing appeals to some, while keeping their esim in their daily big screen also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast