Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Data issues with Samsung s9

Device(s)
    Blackberry Bold 9900 White
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score

Data issues with Samsung s9

I'm using a Samsung s9, over the past month when I try to send an outgoing message it will display the little square clock implying the message has not been sent immediately. It will eventually go through, but if I turn wifi on it will go through instantly.

It does the same when I click a chat box, it wont display the last seen info, wifi on and it'll display immediatel - once again wifi no issues. My browser hangs up a bit too, I don't use many apps which is why I mostly notice it on whatsapp.

I've made sure no restrictions are limiting whatsapp, reset network settings/APN, removed and reinstalled the app, I replaced the sim, cleared the cache, tried my sim in two other phones and same issue, tech support etc etc.. the problem still continues - any idea what is going on?

Koodo has not been very helpful and I'm at the point where I want to switch carriers.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Just curious, did the issue just start and were you able to send/rcv those messages without problem previously? Did you make any phone updates (OS, application or security) recently ? Have you tried to send/rcv on the pre installed messaging application on the phone ? Can you connect to the internet through the phone ?

I use a Samsung S9+ with T-mobile using Android 10.0 and I am not having the same issues.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    Just curious, did the issue just start and were you able to send/rcv those messages without problem previously? Did you make any phone updates (OS, application or security) recently ? Have you tried to send/rcv on the pre installed messaging application on the phone ? Can you connect to the internet through the phone ?

I use a Samsung S9+ with T-mobile using Android 10.0 and I am not having the same issues.
    Prior to the last month the phone worked fine with zero issues. I did just update the software on December 14th.

Not sure which messaging app you mean? Text works, and whatsapp is the only other one I use. I can connect to the internet fine otherwise, but I'm a pretty light user. At times when whatsapp is having the issue I've noticed a Web page may not load, not every time though.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    When I send or rcv messages, I only use the application that came preinstalled on my phone. I don't know what it is called. Whatsapp is an alternative messaging application.

What exactly was updated on December 14 ?? Did your messaging problems start about the same time ?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    When I send or rcv messages, I only use the application that came preinstalled on my phone. I don't know what it is called. Whatsapp is an alternative messaging application.

What exactly was updated on December 14 ?? Did your messaging problems start about the same time ?
    I don't believe I had any preinstalled messaging apps. I just use basic text/mms + whatsapp, mostly whatsapp.

I believe it was a software update on December 14, it may have started at about the same time but I can't say for sure.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Keep in mind that I am in the US and it might work a little differently in Canadian phones.

I have never used Whatsapp. I only use the messaging application built into the Android OS. If possible, I would take the phone to a retail phone store to see if they can help you. It will be difficult to diagnose over the phone or an internet forum like this one.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Keep in mind that I am in the US and it might work a little differently in Canadian phones.

I have never used Whatsapp. I only use the messaging application built into the Android OS. If possible, I would take the phone to a retail phone store to see if they can help you. It will be difficult to diagnose over the phone or an internet forum like this one.
    In store they can't do much down here. I spoke with tech support for over one week with no resolve, that rep escalated it over to a couple others in tech support and they did some live traces etc.. a bunch of stuff on their end, and so far no fix.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just to clarify. The issue happens when you are on mobile data? No issues on WiFi?

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a - Moto X Play - OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Limited Edition - Huawei P20 Pro

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TadMorose View Post
    Just to clarify. The issue happens when you are on mobile data? No issues on WiFi?

Yes, over WiFi there are no issues. And when the problem is happening in real time, turning WiFi on will immediately push the stalled message through.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vancityguy View Post
    Yes, over WiFi there are no issues. And when the problem is happening in real time, turning WiFi on will immediately push the stalled message through.
    Since you've tried other phones you can exclude your phone as the source of the problem. Same with the SIM card.

My guess this is something with your account provisioning on Koodo. Problem is their regular reps aren't qualified to do anything about it. And I'm not sure if they have a second level support these days. But try to get it escalated anyway.

One other thing to try is to open a new account with Koodo, then port your number to a prepaid line and then to the new account (can't port from Koodo postpaid to Koodo postpaid directly). A bit of a hassle, but it can be done quickly.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Since you've tried other phones you can exclude your phone as the source of the problem. Same with the SIM card.

My guess this is something with your account provisioning on Koodo. Problem is their regular reps aren't qualified to do anything about it. And I'm not sure if they have a second level support these days. But try to get it escalated anyway.

One other thing to try is to open a new account with Koodo, then port your number to a prepaid line and then to the new account (can't port from Koodo postpaid to Koodo postpaid directly). A bit of a hassle, but it can be done quickly.

It's been escalated to their second level support but they're waiting on another dept as well apparently.

My plan is no longer available so opening a new account wouldn't be an option. Tbh I was debating switching to the Telus EPP that is currently being offered but am worried about the same issue, as it's the same network.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vancityguy View Post
    It's been escalated to their second level support but they're waiting on another dept as well apparently.

My plan is no longer available so opening a new account wouldn't be an option. Tbh I was debating switching to the Telus EPP that is currently being offered but am worried about the same issue, as it's the same network.
    Funny, I just switched to Telus EPP from Koodo myself.

I doubt it's a network issue. Most likely something specific to your account. It would drive me nuts.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Funny, I just switched to Telus EPP from Koodo myself.

I doubt it's a network issue. Most likely something specific to your account. It would drive me nuts.

It's absolutely driving me nuts! I just don't understand what triggered this. The only changes made to my account was when Koodo added an additional 4gb data at no charge, and shortly after a Samsung update was released.

What's interesting is say I send a msg to my work phone (I use it to test and diagnose the issue) and it isn't going thru, if I send a msg from my work phone to my Koodo phone, it'll push the stalled msg thru immediately.

Maybe I'll cave and just port over to telus....

Feedback Score
    Could the problem be due to RCS? Check whether the carrier services app is up to date. I read that a recent update to the carrier services app can cause issues with texting. A roll back to an earlier version might help. Try disabling RCS to see if that makes a difference.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by will888 View Post
    Could the problem be due to RCS? Check whether the carrier services app is up to date. I read that a recent update to the carrier services app can cause issues with texting. A roll back to an earlier version might help. Try disabling RCS to see if that makes a difference.
    I'm not having any issues with text, that being said I don't even have rcs enabled. I just use regular old text.

I spoke to someone in tech support today and he said others are having similar issues. Switching the gateway apparently worked for them, but not me. I'll have to wait longer..

How do I update the carrier app?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast