Thread: advise for flip phone

Feedback Score

advise for flip phone

my mom has an old cdma flip phone on verizon. old 3g service will be "officially" killed Jan 1.
    Verizon proposed replacing her phone with orbic journey
    based on the reviews, this is a very low quality phone
    i asked if they would offer the Kyocera DuraXV. this is similar to what she has from Samsung convoy
    Verizon offered the phone for $140 ($100 off full price).
    i cant find a decent 4g voip flip phone on craigslist
    she only needs voice call. and she cant use a smart phone
    any suggestions?
    i am considering moving her account to another carrier but want a free flip phone
    i saw https://www.redpocket.com/plans has a $10 plan but no free flip phone
    Last edited by svec7186; 12-29-2020 at 03:00 PM.

Feedback Score
    Verizon has been selling 4G flip hones for 3 years now. Probably had better option when name brands were still making them. $100 is $4 a month. Also back in the day flip phones cost over $200-$300 Yo can maybe see if Wal-Mart or someone still caries a LG Exalt LTE

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Liberty Wireless, FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    AFAIK the best current LTE flip phone for the money is the LG Classic Flip. (30.00 when on sale at BestBuy) Unfortunately it is only available through Tracfone. Put my mom on their 19.99 per month plan (UT&T plus 1 GB data-Verizon) This was the cheapest plan even though she didn't need data. (She uses a lot of minutes)

Device(s)
    Flip phone, Samsung J3 on Tello
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, H2O, Page Plus, Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    The Tracfone LG CLASSIC Flip™ (L125DL) might be better than the Alcatel & ZTE ones. If you can find one on the hanger at Kroger or Family Dollar, etc they have been discounting Tracfone flips for #19.95 or so. Write down the IMEI on bottom of box, enter it on Page Plus's website. PP has been activating those phones (so I've heard) so if that works, OK.

One of the small LG's or Motorola smartphones might be easier to handle. My 80 yr old GF figured her smaller smartphone out pretty quick, now likes it much better than the old flip. (Hid most of the icons, installed Solitaire) When she was 70 I had a hard time to rid her of the POTS landline. Learning something new often helps to keep Al Z away.

See the post "New Tracfone LG Classic Flip L125DL Quick Review" in this forum.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by svec7186 View Post
    i am considering moving her account to another carrier but want a free flip phone
    i saw https://www.redpocket.com/plans has a $10 plan but no free flip phone
    Verizon has always overpriced their basic phones, and some are lousy.
    Seldom will you see free phones. Tracfone does it sometimes to dump old stock.

I agree the Tracfone LG Classic Flip is the best deal, although limited to being used on one of the Tracfone companies that use the Verizon network.

Bundle deal with time and service for a year.
    https://www.qvc.com/Tracfone-LG-Clas...tml?sc=NAVLIST

Phone only on eBay. Lots of airtime options available from Tracfone that would be cheaper than Verizon.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tracfone-LG...kAAOSwFn1fmqz-

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Does Metro work where your mom lives?

They offer the Alcatel GoFlip 3 for free when you port over a number.

You just have to pay the tax and activation up front in-store.

https://www.metrobyt-mobile.com/shop...k/610214661470

Unlimited talk and text costs $25 per month. Activation fee is $20

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Does Metro work where your mom lives?

They offer the Alcatel GoFlip 3 for free when you port over a number.
    Good suggestion if T-Mobile has decent coverage for that area, which is often a problem outside the metro areas. The GoFlip 3 is an enhanced version of the Alcatel flip series.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Good suggestion if T-Mobile has decent coverage for that area, which is often a problem outside the metro areas. The GoFlip 3 is an enhanced version of the Alcatel flip series.
    My only complaint about the Go Flip 3 is the OS. It is not as simple or intuitive as an old flip phone. They basically compressed Android down to a little screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Liberty Wireless, FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tekfranz View Post
    My only complaint about the Go Flip 3 is the OS.
    Looks like a decent phone. Good to see Alcatel finally released a flip phone with good battery life.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tekfranz View Post
    My only complaint about the Go Flip 3 is the OS. It is not as simple or intuitive as an old flip phone. They basically compressed Android down to a little screen.
    The GoFlips all use KaiOS, which is not a derivative of Android. The LG Classic Flip does. Many are not happy with the features of the new generation flip phones compared to some of the old ones. Some of the old Motos had extensive ways to customize.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I'll start out mentioning all the flip phones have fairly low reviews; do read the reviews, some of the 1 star reviews are from people wanting a flip phone to have slimmed down facebook, twitter, etc., on them, a more advanced browser, and so on.... in the case of the Orbic, the problems described in the reviews do sound quite bad (battery not holding a charge, phone getting hot, missing calls, low volume....) My dad has an LG Exalt LTE (VN220) and it's OK; they aren't available new but .. well, never mind, I googled it and they're like $250 used and $300 for a new one. Crazy.

One thing to look into, I think it's kind of odd but the Verizon web site and Verizon stores pretty much run any discounts, discounting phones they want to clear out, etc., independently of each other, and (less odd) the Verizon retailers are on their own in this respect too (sometimes the retailers get some cash back after like 3 or 6 months or something, so in a few cases when we've gotten phones at a retailer there was short contract with ETF, but we had no intention of switching anyway so no problem.) Looks like these flips are abnormally expensive right now though (I suppose due to 3G/1x service maybe terminating Jan 1. 2021)... so calling these places may not help much.