Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: 3 older Legacy phones/plans-what to do in Jan. 2021

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SE PA
    Posts
    424
    Device(s)
    SAM T404g
    Carrier(s)
    T-MO/TRAC/VZ
    Feedback Score
    0

    3 older Legacy phones/plans-what to do in Jan. 2021

    Hmm-this happening & caught me off guard was not staying up to date.
    Have three older phones from years ago and all are on the Legacy Gold Rewards plan. Use them as emergency/back up phones and just once a year add a prepaid card. Two are flips, one a basic bar phone. They are standard size sim cards-mini.

    Don't really want to upgrade to a smartphone as I don't know how that'd work out with the Legacy plan, .10 a minute. Also, I & family already have smartphones.

    Two of these I have hundreds of dollar credit, don't want to just abandon that. I've seen some 4GLTE flip phones on Ebay but no bar phones.

    I don't know procedure for moving to a phone with a different sim card size.

    I have:

    Motorola Flip, W490
    Sony/Ericcson Flip TH506
    Nokia 6030 bar phone.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,122
    Feedback Score
    0
    Call T-Mobile customer service. I've found them to be nice, kind & knowledgeable.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.04.21

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    7,220
    Device(s)
    iPhone 12 ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_us/nokia-225-4g

    I just bought this to replace my old Nokia with a GR SIM.

    It does not have 600MHz LTE, but it does have VoLTE and 700MHz LTE for rural areas (more than fine for a basic talk/text device)

    $49 delivered, and I can say it works well, and the battery lasts a few days easily (and the voice quality is far better than my old GSM devices)

    https://www.ebay.com/p/23028319438

    Buy 3 SIM cards, the new devices and just call customer service to swap the SIM cards. It’s a really easy process.

    I’d avoid the “flip” phones, as they run a neutered version of Android and the UI is just awful compared to the nokia device.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    203
    Feedback Score
    0
    Is the Nokia 225 4G the FCC ID: 2AJOTTA-1282?

    Could you please run your IMEI through T-Mobile's BYOD check and report what it says?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    973
    Feedback Score
    0
    What is happening Jan 2021?

    I have one legacy gold plan with a Samsung bar (dumb) phone and I think it is 3g. I use it as a backup phone and fill it for $10 a year.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    7,220
    Device(s)
    iPhone 12 ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    What is happening Jan 2021?

    I have one legacy gold plan with a Samsung bar (dumb) phone and I think it is 3g. I use it as a backup phone and fill it for $10 a year.
    T-Mobile is doing *some* network adjustment (nobody *actually* knows what it is, as T-Mobile has not actually 100% confirmed). But a lot are assuming it's going to be the end of 2G/3G altogether.

    I just grabbed the Nokia myself as the 2G around here is fickle, and when I travel for work the 3G does not always work when I'm in a hotel (I use my GR SIM for on-call work, so they do not have my "real" number to bother me on days off)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    10,446
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_us/nokia-225-4g

    I just bought this to replace my old Nokia with a GR SIM.

    It does not have 600MHz LTE, but it does have VoLTE and 700MHz LTE for rural areas (more than fine for a basic talk/text device)

    $49 delivered, and I can say it works well, and the battery lasts a few days easily (and the voice quality is far better than my old GSM devices)

    https://www.ebay.com/p/23028319438

    Buy 3 SIM cards, the new devices and just call customer service to swap the SIM cards. It’s a really easy process.

    I’d avoid the “flip” phones, as they run a neutered version of Android and the UI is just awful compared to the nokia device.
    I was just looking for a bar phone with VoLTE. That Nokia looks neat! One of my favorite phones was my Nokia 3390. May have to pick one of these up. I see it's supposedly dual SIM capable which is even better.

    The latest My Flip 3 isn't bad. Battery life is much better than the older versions and it's not as laggy. Not perfect, but the large color external screen is very handy. The prior Alcatel flips were awful, I bought one for an uncle and had to junk it and put him on an older ZTE that still had 4G and VoLTE.
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

    Primary: iPhone 12 eSIM; Samsung A71 5G
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone 12 dual-SIM [AT&T] & iPhone XS [Verizon]; Cricket: iPhone SE 2nd gen
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,584
    Feedback Score
    0
    I just checked my Lumia 640 with my Legacy Gold Rewards SIM card in it and it's working.

    This is an unlocked former AT&T prepaid phone.

    I checked my Mom's T-Mobile line that is on my brother's family plan and it is working fine.
    Lumia 640 unlocked former AT&T prepaid phone.

    I wasn't sure because I haven't been paying attention.

    I switch my Legacy Gold Rewards SIM between a Doro flip phone that was a Tracfone but my cell phone mentor told me that it was unlocked for use with real T-Mobile.
    It works fine with my Legacy Gold Rewards SIM.

    Sent from my Moto Optimo Maxx

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Southwest Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,765
    Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    I just checked for my Legacy Gold Rewards SIM to be working, which is in an unlocked Cricket 1st gen Moto E. Still working, and with the cell site serving me, I still get the big 'E' when I switch data on (indicating Edge-level service). This varies around my geographic area, as I do get HSPA+ indications in the larger towns and cities. The audio is always very good.

    It's a seldom used line, but I'm looking for something like a used or refurbed LG Aristo 2 Plus to change to (which will have VoLTE and Band 71). Curious about obtaining a SIM (old phone uses micro and anything newer likely a nano). That will cost me, I think. But I think T-Mo will do the account change to new SIM online, which is good.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    511
    Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have a "Gold" plan sim that has my "cell" number for the last 15 years ,

    its in a Moto E5 play now ,

    but if I put it back in a my Alcatel flip will Tmobile upgrade me to a "modern" phone

    probably not but I have to ask
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    35
    Device(s)
    Motorola v195s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowyWhite View Post
    I just checked my Lumia 640 with my Legacy Gold Rewards SIM card in it and it's working.

    This is an unlocked former AT&T prepaid phone.

    I checked my Mom's T-Mobile line that is on my brother's family plan and it is working fine.
    Lumia 640 unlocked former AT&T prepaid phone.
    Lumia 640 is a 4g phone. The phone should show T-mobile LTE in the upper left. You can go to settings > cellular+SIM and change Highest Connection Speed to 4G. The phone should now show T-mobile 4G. It's a useful phone that has gps to get around and can go 18 days between charges even after 5 years. I will be replacing mine with a Pixel or iphone se when battery life starts going bad.
    Last edited by blistex; 01-03-2021 at 12:11 AM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Southwest Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,765
    Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    The Lumia model SnowyWhite mentions undoubtedly does have LTE capabilities for data, but pretty sure the concern is whether it has VoLTE for voice service, which T-Mobile is starting to (and has announced intentions of) transition(ing) over to. They haven't "switched off" the legacy/existing service over 2G/3G just yet (possibly based on region), but we're headed that way. The changeover may be more prevalent in larger metro areas.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,584
    Feedback Score
    0
    Made my routine 1 hour 15 minute call using the Lumia 640 and everything worked great.
    Sound quality was excellent on speaker.
    No noise in the background.

    Gradually getting this ridiculous balance down on my Legacy Gold Rewards line.

    I doubt that I will be able to get it down sufficiently this yearly cycle that needs to be topped up in April.

    Hoping that T-Mobile will still have the year roll over when I add $10 in April.

    I'd love to just be done with it really.
    Nothing against T-Mobile, just a little concerned that they may eventually get rid of the Legacy Gold Rewards plan since the merger with Sprint.

    I've not heard anything about it but it's just at the back of my mind. So far they have Grandfathered the plan but you never know if it will go on for much longer.
    If they decide one day to do away with the plan how will they deal with the customers who are still on this plan?
    I doubt that they would offer to pay us what is on the balance.

    I've had the Legacy Gold Rewards line since February 2007.

    Enough with my 2am rambling.
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    The Lumia model SnowyWhite mentions undoubtedly does have LTE capabilities for data, but pretty sure the concern is whether it has VoLTE for voice service, which T-Mobile is starting to (and has announced intentions of) transition(ing) over to. They haven't "switched off" the legacy/existing service over 2G/3G just yet (possibly based on region), but we're headed that way. The changeover may be more prevalent in larger metro areas.
    Sent from my Magnificent Moto e7 2020

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    7,220
    Device(s)
    iPhone 12 ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowyWhite View Post
    Made my routine 1 hour 15 minute call using the Lumia 640 and everything worked great.
    Sound quality was excellent on speaker.
    No noise in the background.

    Gradually getting this ridiculous balance down on my Legacy Gold Rewards line.

    I doubt that I will be able to get it down sufficiently this yearly cycle that needs to be topped up in April.

    Hoping that T-Mobile will still have the year roll over when I add $10 in April.

    I'd love to just be done with it really.
    Nothing against T-Mobile, just a little concerned that they may eventually get rid of the Legacy Gold Rewards plan since the merger with Sprint.

    I've not heard anything about it but it's just at the back of my mind. So far they have Grandfathered the plan but you never know if it will go on for much longer.
    If they decide one day to do away with the plan how will they deal with the customers who are still on this plan?
    I doubt that they would offer to pay us what is on the balance.

    I've had the Legacy Gold Rewards line since February 2007.

    Enough with my 2am rambling.

    Sent from my Magnificent Moto e7 2020
    I doubt they're ever gonna get rid of the program.. but if you ever want to get rid of it, let me know.. I know someone who can put it to use for an on call work phone haha

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,584
    Feedback Score
    0
    It's got $430ish on the balance at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    I doubt they're ever gonna get rid of the program.. but if you ever want to get rid of it, let me know.. I know someone who can put it to use for an on call work phone haha
    Sent from my Powerfully Majestic Moto G Power

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What to do in order to update to new phone.
    By wyophoneguy in forum Page Plus Cellular
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-14-2016, 10:54 AM
  2. Newbie with broken phone, $25 plan; What to do?
    By TBudman in forum Virgin Mobile USA
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-06-2011, 12:41 PM
  3. telus.gif is not in phone filesystem what to do?
    By chaseincats in forum Feature Phones
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-19-2008, 05:52 PM
  4. What to do in New Jersey?
    By confusedEuroguy in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-10-2002, 04:27 PM
  5. What to do in Orlando?
    By wamtt in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-04-2002, 07:58 PM

Bookmarks