Thread: Is the lTE network gone?

Device(s)
    Alcatel Flip
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Question Is the lTE network gone?

My LG Boost Mobile phone that is 4 years old no longer connects to the LTE network. Sometimes I only see 1Xrtt outside of Washington, D.C. I must've missed the news articles about the shutdown of the LTE network after Sprint merged with T-Mobile. Time for me to buy a new phone.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    LTE is not being shut down, CDMA is. If your phone lacks the VOLTE capability then that is your problem. A 4 year old Boost phone likely does not have VOLTE available. If this is true, you need a new phone ASAP.

FYI: LTE is voice only and VOLTE allows voice and data simultaneously. They are related. VOLTE will continue to be used along with the newer 5G networks that are being rolled out over the next few years.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    iPhone SE (2016), Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score

Is the lTE network gone?

Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    LTE is not being shut down, CDMA is. If your phone lacks the VOLTE capability then that is your problem. A 4 year old Boost phone likely does not have VOLTE available. If this is true, you need a new phone ASAP.

FYI: LTE is voice only and VOLTE allows voice and data simultaneously. They are related. VOLTE will continue to be used along with the newer 5G networks that are being rolled out over the next few years.
    This is partly true. B26 LTE is going away as tmo integrates sprints lte network to its own.

Also, I think Serial Port had a typo: LTE is data only. VoLTE allows voice calls over the data network, kinda like VOIP, which allows you to use data while in a call.

Tmo should be dual casting b25 / b41 for both sprint and T-Mobile. Though if they are working on towers in your area now, it could take some time before you can get back onto the remaining lte bands. Though if you were in an area that only had b26, you may be stuck in 3g till you upgrade to a newer device that will use T-Mobile instead.

Sent from my Tello iPhone using HoFo
    Last edited by jmac32here; 12-30-2020 at 08:11 PM.
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Device(s)
    Alcatel Flip
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    ok, thanks for the iniformation everyone. I might switch from Boost Mobile to Tello. I like Tello's rates. Then I can close my T-Mobile prepaid account for good.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post

Again, LTE is data only and cannot provide a voice network without VoLTE. Since VoLTE sends voice calls over the data network, voice and data can be used at the same time.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Tello is in the middle of testing the migration to T-Mobile. They say it can be live Q1.

As a Tello customer, I can now confirm areas that were only served by B26 LTE are only getting 3G/1x CDMA - which could be shutdown as early as 1/1/2022.

T-Mobile is integrating, and may have already integrated B25/41 and is dual casting those bands for both Sprint and T-Mobile until everyone is migrated over.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 8T, Apple iPad Air 4th Gen (WiFi), Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score

Is the lTE network gone?

I can also confirm that B26 is being slowly disabled on towers. I tried to band lock a device to B26 and I am not seeing it available in areas where it was available a month or two ago.

I can also confirm that T-Mobile is dual broadcasting B41 and B25 (MFBI B2) for Sprint users, using the same band locking as I did for B26.

Attachment 167687

It’s likely they are starting to sunset some towers in your area, hoping people would fallback on the T-Mobile towers instead. Unmigrated MVNOs are going to have a lot of problems soon due to this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    I can also confirm that B26 is being slowly disabled on towers. I tried to band lock a device to B26 and I am not seeing it available in areas where it was available a month or two ago.

I can also confirm that T-Mobile is dual broadcasting B41 and B25 (MFBI B2) for Sprint users, using the same band locking as I did for B26.

Attachment 167687

It’s likely they are starting to sunset some towers in your area, hoping people would fallback on the T-Mobile towers instead. Unmigrated MVNOs are going to have a lot of problems soon due to this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Where I’m at, haven’t had access to b26 in a couple months. It also looks like the sprint tower on the other side of the park from my house is at least no longer broadcasting lte, if at all.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    Where I’m at, haven’t had access to b26 in a couple months. It also looks like the sprint tower on the other side of the park from my house is at least no longer broadcasting lte, if at all.

Looks like they were messing around with another sprint tower in my area. Phone latched onto a b26 signal for about 5 seconds, but the cell wasn’t connected to any backend network-so it didn’t connect to anything. Then the signal was gone again and back down to 1x.

Couldn’t even confirm an isp connection.