Thread: How to text from PC using Google Voice number?

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a, Samsung A1e (active)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

How to text from PC using Google Voice number?

This question might be properly posted in the GV forum, but I thought I'd post it here since you folks seem quite knowledgeable. I hope that's ok

I have a Tracfone number and I also have a GV number. I would like to text from my PC using my GV number, rather than my TF number. All of the texting apps I've looked at, as well as Your Phone on my PC and GV's messages for web all want to use my TF number rather than my GV number. Is there any way to get one of these text from your PC services to use my secondary number (GV) rather than my primary number (TF) as my texting number?

Thanks and Happy New Year to those who are celebrating now!

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitzer18 View Post
    This question might be properly posted in the GV forum, but I thought I'd post it here since you folks seem quite knowledgeable. I hope that's ok

I have a Tracfone number and I also have a GV number. I would like to text from my PC using my GV number, rather than my TF number. All of the texting apps I've looked at, as well as Your Phone on my PC and GV's messages for web all want to use my TF number rather than my GV number. Is there any way to get one of these text from your PC services to use my secondary number (GV) rather than my primary number (TF) as my texting number?

Thanks and Happy New Year to those who are celebrating now!
    Why do you want to use a 3rd party service to do this?
    Unless I'm missing something, just go to google.com/voice , sign-in, and start texting away.

Feedback Score
    You can use voice.google.com to call and text from your GV #.

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a, Samsung A1e (active)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    My thought in using a 3rd party service was to avoid having to remember to keep the browser page open at all times when texting from my PC Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitzer18 View Post
    My thought in using a 3rd party service was to avoid having to remember to keep the browser page open at all times when texting from my PC Thanks!
    That's what I have done for years, and for me that's no inconvenience. If I'm on the PC I am almost certainly using my browser (Chrome) at some point. That's mostly what I do on the PC. "Google Voice" is one of my extensions, so to bring it up all I have to do is click an icon when Chrome is running. Or, you could just bookmark "voice.google.com/u/0/messages".