Thread: Moved SIM to new device. No setup required?

Device(s)
    1+ 8T 5G, Galaxy S20 5G, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score

Moved SIM to new device. No setup required?

I moved my backup PP PAYG SIM from the MyFlip to my unlocked Moto G7 Power and contacted PP CS via chat to be sure it was set up properly. The rep just asked me if I could make a call with the new phone. I asked if there was any codes to dial or updates to download. He said "No. If you can make a call, everything is fine." This is quite different from the first time I set up a BYOD with PP (old ex-Alltel CDMA flip). Has it really gotten to GSM-like simplicity?
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Normally, the SIM card sets up the phone once it is activated. There is a few times that the APN is not the right one, but sometimes that is locked and can be hard to get changed if the phone locked that setting.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I moved my backup PP PAYG SIM from the MyFlip to my unlocked Moto G7 Power and contacted PP CS via chat to be sure it was set up properly. The rep just asked me if I could make a call with the new phone. I asked if there was any codes to dial or updates to download. He said "No. If you can make a call, everything is fine." This is quite different from the first time I set up a BYOD with PP (old ex-Alltel CDMA flip). Has it really gotten to GSM-like simplicity?
    It seems so within the Tracfone family of brands with VoLTE devices.

I have a Straight Talk Home Phone Base - the VoLTE ZTE one. I had terminated its service since I didn't really need it. I decided to try activating it with PP paygo ($1/120 days). It worked using the ST SIM that had been terminated and the IMEI of the ST Home device IMEI.

After activating the ST Home device on PP I started seeing usage charges when I knew that I had not used it. I switched the SIM to a phone to see if it was spam texts. There was some of that. Some idiot was sending texts about the Georgia election. I contacted PP by chat to see if they could turn off texts. They did so that usage has gone away.

However, some phantom usage continues with the SIM back in the ST Home device. It seems to be about 10 cents a day of data. Probably nothing can be done about that. PP does not have a home device plan.

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus, Tello, T-Mobile, TRU SIM, Liberty Wrls.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I have a Straight Talk Home Phone Base - the VoLTE ZTE one...some phantom usage continues with the SIM back in the ST Home device. It seems to be about 10 cents a day of data. Probably nothing can be done about that. PP does not have a home device plan.
    I'm trying the Novatel T2000 equivalent for potential use by an elderly person. Prompted by your post, I see that it sporadically racks up 6KB or 8KB on any given day. I could have PP disable data, but I don't know whether the device would continue to function. As you say, PP doesn't offer an equivalent to the ST/Net10 Home Phone service, so the reps probably have zero knowledge about its data needs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockchuck View Post
    I'm trying the Novatel T2000 equivalent for potential use by an elderly person. Prompted by your post, I see that it sporadically racks up 6KB or 8KB on any given day. I could have PP disable data, but I don't know whether the device would continue to function. As you say, PP doesn't offer an equivalent to the ST/Net10 Home Phone service, so the reps probably have zero knowledge about its data needs.
    I had not thought of trying to get PP to turn off mobile data in hopes that data would still work for VoLTE. I may try that. I did get them to turn off text so that spam wouldn't waste my money.

This is all somewhat of an experiment for me. I don't really need the cellular ATA. Since I don't really need it I have been leaving it powered off. That does stop the small data charges, like ten cents a day.