Thread: Cheap AT&T phone for Red Pocket?

Feedback Score

Cheap AT&T phone for Red Pocket?

We live in an area with solid Verizon coverage and most all other carriers have spotty service. Several times a year we travel to an area that has only AT&T service.

I want to buy a used phone I can activate on Red Pocket’s service that uses AT&T - the little $5/month plan - to have available for when we travel to this remote area.

I’ve not had a GSM phone before and don’t know how 5G changes might impact anything. We just need something very basic that we can use talk, text, and Life360 on.

Any suggestions for a cheap used phone to seek out?

Feedback Score
    The Phoenix 4 works fine on Red Pocket. The phone is also a lot better phone than you would think for the price,.

Feedback Score
    You can buy brand new AT&T prepaid phones for less than $100. Try Walmart, Target, or Best Buy. They don't need to be unlocked to work on an AT&T MVNO.

Sent from my SM-F700U1 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    You may feel safer if the phone is on this list: https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/con...TT-Network.pdf
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current primary phone. Not yet signed up for 5G.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    Yes any att prepaid (GoPhone) will work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    Yes any att prepaid (GoPhone) will work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Which is probably why many of the phone offers I see include a $45 att card. Partially makes up for the discount that may be offered.

Device(s)
    ZTE, Asus
    Carrier(s)
    Mint, Textnow, FP
    Feedback Score
    I bought a ZTE maven 3 AT&T prepaid phone on black Friday 2017, just cost me $8 !! I purchased an unlock code from eBay for less $2.. My cheap maven 3 even has VoLTE and WiFi calling.

If you just use red pocket GSMA, even a locked AT&T phone will be OK, no need to unlock it.

Since there will be mandatory VoLTE in 2022, it is better to purchase AT&T branded phone (non AT&T branded phones may also work, but may be different from phone to phone). Just pick up any of the AT&T branded phone will be OK
    Android only

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Mint, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by david0858 View Post
    The Phoenix 4 works fine on Red Pocket. The phone is also a lot better phone than you would think for the price,.
    I have two on RP and a third on AT&T prepaid. One, my dad's is on the $5/mo. plan. Bought them for $20/$30. Not sure if they are still available anymore though.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=buhin;17161506]I bought a ZTE maven 3 AT&T prepaid phone on black Friday 2017, just cost me $8 !! I purchased an unlock code from eBay for less $2.. My cheap maven 3 even has VoLTE and WiFi calling.

/QUOTE]

I was surprised to see the Maven 3 on the list that KeinK1 linked. It seems like one of the older phones on that list. I bought one on the same deal, and was pleasantly surprised by how nice it was. I eventually gave mine to a friend who needed a new phone. Wish I'd bought 2....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by david0858 View Post
    Just grabbed a Phoenix 4 at Meijer for $17.00 about an hour ago. Good backup for the elderly Rents.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info! For those of you snagging new phones at low prices, are those all handsets intended for use on prepaid ATT? And if yes, just so I’m clear, they work on MVNOs straight out of the box? I know Verizon prepaid phones tend to need to have been active on their native network for a period of time first. I’m just not familiar with AT&Ts scenario.

One more question: how likely is it that the $2.50/month annual plan will happen with the other networks thru Red Pocket?

Device(s)
    ZTE, Asus
    Carrier(s)
    Mint, Textnow, FP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JustCommenting View Post
    Thanks for the info! For those of you snagging new phones at low prices, are those all handsets intended for use on prepaid ATT? And if yes, just so I’m clear, they work on MVNOs straight out of the box? I know Verizon prepaid phones tend to need to have been active on their native network for a period of time first. I’m just not familiar with AT&Ts scenario.

One more question: how likely is it that the $2.50/month annual plan will happen with the other networks thru Red Pocket?
    For GSM phones, they usually work just out of the box.

After you put the sim card in the phone, switch it on, you will receive ATT signal. After that, login your red pocket account, and refresh it. Your phone model will be shown on your page. Then you will receive a text message on the phone, open the text, there will be a link to an APN configuration file. Follow the steps, and then restart the phone. After restarting, your phone will be OK.

Feedback Score
    Anyone know how long the Phoenix 4 or any of the options here will get updates for? Thanks!

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Mint, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Robynsus View Post
    Anyone know how long the Phoenix 4 or any of the options here will get updates for? Thanks!
    Last update I have is the Aug security patch, still on 8.1. Not banking on anything more.

Device(s)
    Motorola Q (PP w QNC)
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    The AT&T Prepaid RADIANT Max at Walmart or Target for $119 would be a good phone when it goes on sale. 6.5", 3/32GBs, 4.000mah, NFC, Android 10, Fingerprint, 2 yr warranty. 91% Recommended.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/AT-T-Prep...Blue/569988779

https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/dev...User-Guide.pdf