Thread: Moto G Power hotspot

Feedback Score

Moto G Power hotspot

There was a was a posting a couple of months ago that the Tracfone branded Moto G Power had hotspot locked out. Can anyone with this model confirm this? The Moto G7 Optimo Maxx seems to not be affected.

I have a TF branded moto g power (2020) and hotspot does not work. I get the following messages when I try to turn it on:

Checking subscription status please wait
    Your order could not be processed
    Your plan does not support mobile tethering

Then it turns off automatically.

Device(s)
    Moto G Power, Moto G7 Power, Moto E6
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Verizon), Visible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    There was a was a posting a couple of months ago that the Tracfone branded Moto G Power had hotspot locked out. Can anyone with this model confirm this? The Moto G7 Optimo Maxx seems to not be affected.
    I believe that was me that posted and my Tracfone branded Moto G Power still does the exact same thing. Is your Moto G7 Optimo Maxx on android 9 or 10? If hotspot still works I'm guessing it's on android 9

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by YaWho View Post
    Is your Moto G7 Optimo Maxx on android 9 or 10? If hotspot still works I'm guessing it's on android 9
    Works fine on mine. Latest updates for android 10 (QPOS30.85-21-3 dated October 2020)

This is a TW device on TW who specifically allows hotspot.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Works fine on mine. Latest updates for android 10 (QPOS30.85-21-3 dated October 2020)

You are using it on Total Wireless correct? I haven't seen anyone able to use hotspot with Tracfone service on android 10

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    That's true, hotspot won't turn on, it says something about the plan not provisioned for hotspot. TF Verizon G power.

Feedback Score

Another poster said their branded Moto G Power has hotspot on an ST plan that allows it. Unknown is if a generic non-TF G Power can get it running on TF. Seems something coded into this specific TF model, as other models can use hotspot.

Interested in getting a G Power, but am not willing to give up hotspot. Tracfone branded version are a lot cheaper than unlocked versions.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    It's possible, even likely, the TF branded devices are enforcing the flag from the carrier and TF accounts don't have the flag enabling hotspots while TW and ST accounts do.

Feedback Score
    It's possible, even likely, the TF branded devices are enforcing the flag from the carrier and TF accounts don't have the flag enabling hotspots while TW and ST accounts do.
    Just curious. Could you activate a TF branded phone on a TW or ST hot spot allowed plan and the HS would work?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Just curious. Could you activate a TF branded phone on a TW or ST hot spot allowed plan and the HS would work?
    Should since the devices are the same.

It's just like when using Verizon branded phones. The hotspot app is customized for Verizon to check that the feature is enabled in the account. Verizon also did it to the apostle fkr VVM and VoLTE in the past.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Another poster said their branded Moto G Power has hotspot on an ST plan that allows it. Unknown is if a generic non-TF G Power can get it running on TF. Seems something coded into this specific TF model, as other models can use hotspot.

Interested in getting a G Power, but am not willing to give up hotspot. Tracfone branded version are a lot cheaper than unlocked versions.
    I asked someone on a different forum if hotspot worked on their unlocked moto g power (2020) using Tracfone Verizon and they said it did not work.

Feedback Score
    It's just like when using Verizon branded phones. The hotspot app is customized for Verizon to check that the feature is enabled in the account.
    Just what I had thought, the query to the carrier for hotspot access is programmed into some models. If no query, the network takes no action and allows it. Some Tracfone models don't seem to have the query function, and some do. The non-carrier phones will likely not have it.

Unfortunately, the unlocked versions of the G Power are presently kind of expensive for my budget.

Feedback Score
    Just what I had thought, the query to the carrier for hotspot access is programmed into some models. If no query, the network takes no action and allows it. Some Tracfone models don't seem to have the query function, and some do. The non-carrier phones will likely not have it.

Unfortunately, the unlocked versions of the G Power are presently kind of expensive for my budget.
    Same for my budget, but the way I look at it the extra cost of carrier/network unlocked phones may be worth it considering saving the time and headaches going through the hoops and hassles of carrier phones. I keep my phones at least 3 years and look for factory refurbs instead of new.

As far as this discussion, seems the TF brand is just cracking down on hot spotting which is not allowed in their plans.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    As far as this discussion, seems the TF brand is just cracking down on hot spotting which is not allowed in their plans.
    Phones running on TF/VZW that had functioning hotspot still do, so they have not done a global purge of all accounts. My present BYOP Moto G5 Plus activated 2.5 years ago still has it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Phones running on TF/VZW that had functioning hotspot still do, so they have not done a global purge of all accounts. My present BYOP Moto G5 Plus activated 2.5 years ago still has it.
    BYOP, not carried branded, makes a difference.

It's possible the new OS version include such even on non-branded devices that gets selected based on SIM. Much like the issues editing APNs starting with Android 8.
    Last edited by ST Dog; 01-05-2021 at 02:18 AM.

Feedback Score
    BYOP, not carried branded, makes a difference.

It's possible the new OS version include such even on non-branded devices that gets selected base in SIM. Much like the issues editing APNs starting with Android 8.
    Yes, I have noticed a few utility apps will not work on Android 9 or later. I assume the network can read this, and lock out the SIM from using hotspot (and other things). One test would be to swap in a SIM to a later phone from a phone that has functioning hotspot.