Thread: Dropping Tracfone after 20 plus years...

Feedback Score

Dropping Tracfone after 20 plus years...

They keep changing things
    Last time I added data I had to get unlimited phone and text (no data only cards anymore - maybe I missed it) - first time ever adding unlimited to BYO smartphone
    Now the month is over voice and text are zero'd (still have years of airtime banked)
    No way for me to prove what I had banked
    Chat rep had no care that I was cancelling my service. Claimed I used all my minutes.
    End of decades of crappy CS... But very cheap for very low usage...
    Last edited by walruszappa; 01-03-2021 at 07:35 PM.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by walruszappa View Post
    Last time I added data I had to get unlimited phone and text (no data only cards anymore - maybe I missed it).
    You missed it. It's at the bottom of the list, in the Add-On offers. This is what I see now.

Name:  Tracfone-Add-On-Offers-2021-01-03.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  33.6 KB

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by walruszappa View Post
    Now the month is over voice and text are zero'd (still have years of airtime banked)
    No way for me to prove what I had banked
    Chat rep had no care that I was cancelling my service. Claimed I used all my minutes.
    When the unlimited plan expires it's supposed go switch back to the previous balances (minus any extra data you used).

But unlimited stuff is new and new stuff always has issues at TracFone.

Device(s)
    Note 8, LG Xpression 2
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity, Tracphone
    Feedback Score
    I thought the unlimited plans are like what net 10 used to do. Net would end all minutes you have stored when you changed from rollover to monthly plan.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by David Walcott View Post
    Net would end all minutes you have stored when you changed from rollover to monthly plan.
    That's not how it was described online or by support. I thought someone posted here that they tested and it reverted, the just couldn't see the old balance while unlimited was active.

Feedback Score
    I explained everything to the chat CSR about going on off unlimited, CSR had nothing to say, did not care, knew nothing, or just played dumb. The usual expected incompetency with tracfone CSR. To me not worth the effort and frustration to try and call support.

Went to all zero's for me, data is all there, and no service, but shows one more month of data carryover -this date is wrong - or I do not understand where it came from - does not match any of my purchases. I did give tracfone a last $15 more dollars so I have time to sort new service. Guess I'll see what happens when the data roll over date turns if I do not disconnect before then.

Just tricky I have no phone back-up and will be trying to save my number, will be without service during the port - just want to plan for the outage, have something ready on deck to switch over when these last tracfone minutes are used up.

The want more benefits? Menu seems to be random, sometimes you get it sometime you don't or get different options... or well it did for me going in and out of that screen today.

Device(s)
    Unlocked Tracfone iPhone SE & iPhone 6S, Tracfone Samsung Luna Pro, TF LG Rebel 4, TF LG Fiesta 2
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I had a problem with an unlimited plan too. My issue was a little different..

What happened was I had bought an iPhone SE 2020 from Tracfone (ended up returning it) that had a $25 unlimited plan bundled with it. So I activated it with a transfer from my old iPhone 6S and then after in my account it just had one line showing my data which was my bucket data plus 2GB and "Unlimited" for both minutes and texts. My minutes and texts bucket amounts were no longer listed.

In the past when I added an unlimited plan to my account, the one time I did it, the unlimited plan showed as separate from my bucket minutes text and data and included an expiration date for the unlimited. So this was different and I figured trouble...

I called in and did the chat a few times to ask about it and was told different things such as it's a problem that's being worked on or after the month is up the account will then go back to showing my buckets. All they could see on their end was my minutes and text plus 200,000. Apparently, 200,000 equals unlimited. But, I noticed when I called in and asked for my balances that the minutes and text were dropping, making it harder to tell what minutes and texts were mine.

After the month was up, nothing changed in my account. My actual minutes and text (pretty substantial) were still missing and just showing as "Unlimited". I thought if it's doing that what will go wrong next. So I called in and the first rep I spoke with tells me that when you have an unlimited plan you lose/forfeit your minutes, texts and data. I'm like sure, pal. So then I asked to be transferred to the Tracfone corporate office. So I'm transferred over and the corporate rep right away could not tell me how many minutes and text and how much data I had in my account and had to use transaction history to even determine how long the unlimited plan had been in effect.

So then I offered to send the corporate rep my account screenshots and chat transcripts that I had taken before I activated the bundle phone to prove my data, minutes and texts bucket balance.

The rep instead just took my word for it and manually set my data, minutes and texts balances to what I told him it was. The rep gave me the 2GB of data that came with the unlimited plan to keep permanently as part of my data bucket.

Was a PITA.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    That's not how it was described online or by support. I thought someone posted here that they tested and it reverted, the just couldn't see the old balance while unlimited was active.
    You should be able to see both plans when unlimited is active, just click on the "show more" tab on the right side of your balance on the app.
    I had a phone revert back last month without any problems for a few days before I went back to unlimited.
    Sounds like TracFone has some bugs in their system.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Senkoboy View Post
    Sounds like TracFone has some bugs in their system.

As I said.

Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    But unlimited stuff is new and new stuff always has issues at TracFone.