Thread: Home Internet Service Questions

Feedback Score

Post Home Internet Service Questions

I'd love to ditch my cable service that constantly raises prices for no reason. DSL in my area is only 25/2 also.

1. If the availability page says not available is there any chance I could get the service anyway? I've got T-Mobile coverage.
    2. I have a usenet stack set up and use something like 200-500gb/mo. Is that a problem? Seems most downloads happen in the evening, but I can likely schedule that. Other than that I don't stream anything.
    3. Do they give you a public IPv4 address?
    4. Do they block common ports like 80/443 etc? VPN into my home via OpenVPN etc?
    5. Military discount?

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I can take a stab at these... Someone can/will correct me.

1. If it's not listed as available... Try calling 611 and going that route. It was initially in my area, and I tried it for a month.

Sent from my IN2017 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    I just ordered a test drive kit and we’ll see how that looks first.

Other than that I don’t have a tmobile device but I can look up the external number.

I would really love to stick it to spectrum even if the speed is slower.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    2. I only had for 1 month, never got past ~80GB, so I can't say for usage.
    3. IPv6 is used, I can't say how static it is, but I'd say .. don't power off.
    4. Couldn't tell, I didn't try to tunnel back through - I don't think its a straight endpoint like xDSL/Cable from my last try. I.e. your cable modem / xDSL modem typically worked in bridge/NAT so that your home 10.x.y.z / 192.168.x.y ends up mapping to a WAN IP. When I tested this initially, I think there were a handful of hops before your IP gets 'out' of T-Mobile's network with an IPv6 IP. Someone keep me honest here.
    5. Don't know

Feedback Score
    I had it for a month as well. Sadly, ended up returning.

We were seeing speeds slower than dial-up, rendering it useless. After speaking with support, they indicated our tower was congested and that it wouldn’t be upgraded for 4 months. Therefore, we cancelled service.

ImWe live near the Idaho/washington state line and T-Mobile is solid everywhere but a couple of places of congestion (notably a lot slower after Sprint acquisition). Apparently our closest tower is one of them.

Give it a try. No contract and free device is why we evaluated it. Would love to dump Centrylink ourselves so we will check back in a few months to see if the tower has been upgraded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro, Pixel 5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    This should be helpful in regards to how they handle IPs https://www.internetsociety.org/reso...using-464xlat/

Feedback Score
    Great info, thank you.

Feedback Score
    I work there.

No for everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I have a family member who got it (no other T-Mobile services either) and while I haven't been able to visit him to check out all the details, I'll try to answer what I can:

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    1. If the availability page says not available is there any chance I could get the service anyway? I've got T-Mobile coverage.
    2. I have a usenet stack set up and use something like 200-500gb/mo. Is that a problem? Seems most downloads happen in the evening, but I can likely schedule that. Other than that I don't stream anything.
    3. Do they give you a public IPv4 address?
    4. Do they block common ports like 80/443 etc? VPN into my home via OpenVPN etc?
    5. Military discount?
    1. Nope, it seems that they're limiting rollout based on backhaul and/or planning around tower congestion. If you fill out the form, it does have the contact number (if I remember correctly), so you could ask, but that would probably mean that your area has been added and the systems aren't reflecting it yet.
    2. This shouldn't be a problem.
    3. Nope, it's just like their cell service (IPv6, IPv4 via 464XLAT).
    4. No ports seem to be blocked, but you may run into issues of CGNAT (maybe? Not sure with the item above.)
    5. There aren't any discounts and it doesn't stack with any promos or count for any add-a-line things.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    I just ordered a test drive kit and we’ll see how that looks first.
    Keep in mind that the Test Drive unit (Franklin T9) lacks carrier aggregation, so the performance may be much worse than the home internet hardware. I wish they had been able to send out hotspots that support it so people can see both coverage and possible speeds.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    As a note from above... If you have T-mobile service, and it does not have great speed or/and signal, it might not work well for you. I am fortunate to have a cell site about 2000' away with a sector pointed in my direction that gets little traffic. Speeds on the modem were 75-140Mbps when I had it. It is capable of +250, as I tried it on another site which always has great speeds.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max, Pixel 3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile & Sprint (via Google Fi), AT&T (via Red Pocket Mobile and Airalo)
    Feedback Score

Home Internet Service Questions

Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    2. I only had for 1 month, never got past ~80GB...
    Why did you cancel?

I’ve been considering getting the service. It’s not showing available at my house, but it is available at my mom’s house 10 miles away. Could I sign up at her address, then try the service at mine? Do the modems have GPS tracking that limit where you can use it?

Worse case scenario is if it didn’t work well at my house, I would likely put it back at hers and switch her away from Spectrum.

Then again, maybe I should wait for the 5G home internet and not mess around with the current 4G LTE version.
    Check out my Reno Area Wireless Information & Cellular Guide website for cell site location maps, pictures & more https://RenoWirelessInfo.com

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA, Vodafone ES
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RenoWirelessGuru View Post
    Why did you cancel?

I’ve been considering getting the service. It’s not showing available at my house, but it is available at my mom’s house 10 miles away. Could I sign up at her address, then try the service at mine? Do the modems have GPS tracking that limit where you can use it?

Worse case scenario is if it didn’t work well at my house, I would likely put it back at hers and switch her away from Spectrum.

Then again, maybe I should wait for the 5G home internet and not mess around with the current 4G LTE version.
    Orders placed now will receive the new Nokia 5G modem. I just had one delivered yesterday for a family member that I ordered last week.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RenoWirelessGuru View Post
    Why did you cancel?

I had a free month trial, and it was decent. I was a little concerned about the 50GB and the fact that there are 4 of us using internet + my work use. The price was a little less than Charter for a lit more . I use quite a bit, and T-mobile had disabled the phone jack ( I have Spectrum voice for $10). For $15/months more than T-mobile, I get a solid 200Mbps, and use T-mobile as my backup. Much of my work is with ssh and rdp client.