T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Verizon indefinitely delays 3G network shutdown

Name:  IMG_0051.JPG
Views: 87
Size:  83.0 KB

https://www.lightreading.com/ossbss/.../d/d-id/766399

Verizon has backtracked on its plan to turn off its 3G network by the end of 2020.

In response to questions from Light Reading, Verizon spokesperson Kevin King said "our 3G network is operational and we don't have a plan to shut it down at this time. We'll work with customers to move them to newer technology."

That's a decided change from Verizon's plans from roughly a year ago. In July 2019, Verizon spokesperson Howie Waterman confirmed to Light Reading that the operator had delayed the shuttering of its 3G network from the end of 2019 to the end of 2020. He said the action would give impacted customers "an extra year to decide what they want to do."

Verizon's decision to keep its 3G network up and running means the service provider will continue to operate three separate wireless network technologies – 3G, 4G and 5G – for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Well that’s good news for the chap who bought my old Kyocera flip phone on eBay this morning.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE (2016), Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tigers2007 View Post
    Well that’s good news for the chap who bought my old Kyocera flip phone on eBay this morning.
    Thing is, as of 2018, vzw has not allowed any activations of any non-volte devices, including esn changes. ( Though the date for this was 2019 for prepaid)

So even though he just bought that device from you, he more than likely won’t be able to use it.

The article does confirm that this remains to be the case.

Sent from my Tello iPhone using HoFo
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Good points.

And remember that Verizon‘s flavor of 3G is EVDO so it’s data-only. Legacy IOT and medical device manufacturers should breathe a little easier for several more months.

Feedback Score
    On my Galaxy S20 5G phone, the option to turn off the LTE, and rely only on 2G/3G CDMA, disappeared this week.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    On my Galaxy S20 5G phone, the option to turn off the LTE, and rely only on 2G/3G CDMA, disappeared this week.
    Just changed my settings on my Pixel 2 XL to LTE/CDMA then turned off VoLTE( which I was allowed to do ) various apps still picked up the 1xRTT signal.

Device(s)
    Iphone Xs, Ipad Pro 11"
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Cricket
    Feedback Score
    They need to put it out to pasture and use the spectrum for other things on their network. I am sure the 4g/5g could benefit from using that spectrum.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ckoch125 View Post
    They need to put it out to pasture and use the spectrum for other things on their network. I am sure the 4g/5g could benefit from using that spectrum.
    What a load of crap! 3g needs to be turned off now and the spectrum repurposed. People need to stop living in the 90s and get rid of the damn flip phones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Just changed my settings on my Pixel 2 XL to LTE/CDMA then turned off VoLTE( which I was allowed to do ) various apps still picked up the 1xRTT signal.
    VoLTE is Voice over LTE, it has nothing to do with the apps getting internet access.

Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    What a load of crap! 3g needs to be turned off now and the spectrum repurposed. People need to stop living in the 90s and get rid of the damn flip phones.
    You, like may others here, make a lot of assumptions about something that you don't know.
    The bandwidth part for the 3G that will remain in use is a very small sliver, that would not "fit" inside the traditional Band 5 LTE.
    Band 5 (850MHz CLR) that has 5x5 bandwidth or 10x10 in some areas, is already making use of the rest of the CDMA spectrum right now (transition of towers started two years ago).

Feedback Score
    Yup, those dang grandma's and their flip phones are ruining it for all that want to walk around staring at a 8" display. Come on man.
    Like @SoNic67 has said, 3G that's left out there reused ain't going to do a thing to enhance your 4G/5G experience.
    Why do most of you even care. You're on 4G/5G and it's already been proven that increasing speeds over what a quality 4G signal gives does not enhance the average user experience.
    People in these forums are not the average user. We're a very very very very small minority.

Feedback Score
    I think what you meant to say here was, "what a load of crap! Why can't Verizon get off their butts and finally fill all the rural and ex-urban swiss cheese holes in their LTE network so 1x is finally not necessary??"

Feedback Score
    I’m just at a loss for words. There are still morons who refuse to use VoLTE and this needs to stop.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tigers2007 View Post
    Except he can't activate it?
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current primary phone. Not yet signed up for 5G.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Could be that there are a lot of IOT devices and OnStar equipped vehicles that depend on CDMA.

What is bad is that Sprint's coverage map no longer shows all that Verizon CDMA roaming for voice and text, much of which was not replaced by any T-Mobile coverage.
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Name:  IMG_0051.JPG
Views: 87
Size:  83.0 KB

https://www.lightreading.com/ossbss/.../d/d-id/766399

Verizon has backtracked on its plan to turn off its 3G network by the end of 2020.

In response to questions from Light Reading, Verizon spokesperson Kevin King said "our 3G network is operational and we don't have a plan to shut it down at this time. We'll work with customers to move them to newer technology."

That's a decided change from Verizon's plans from roughly a year ago. In July 2019, Verizon spokesperson Howie Waterman confirmed to Light Reading that the operator had delayed the shuttering of its 3G network from the end of 2019 to the end of 2020. He said the action would give impacted customers "an extra year to decide what they want to do."

Verizon's decision to keep its 3G network up and running means the service provider will continue to operate three separate wireless network technologies – 3G, 4G and 5G – for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone SE (2016), Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    Could be that there are a lot of IOT devices and OnStar equipped vehicles that depend on CDMA.

What is bad is that Sprint's coverage map no longer shows all that Verizon CDMA roaming for voice and text, much of which was not replaced by any T-Mobile coverage.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using HoFo mobile app
    Sprint was supposed to lose the CDMA roaming back in 2019 but also got it extended till the end of 2020. Now that Sprint is part of T-Mobile and the CDMA network is slated for shutdown as early as 1-1-2022, Verizon may have decided to no longer offer roaming to Sprint.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast