Thread: Any way to prevent email to text?

Feedback Score

Any way to prevent email to text?

I sometimes receive spam messages to my phone from various gmail addresses. The incoming message is labeled as a text message. Since I'm on the standard pay as you go plan, I figure that I'm being charged for every incoming spam text being sent this way. What are my options to prevent this from draining my balance with page plus?

FYI, I was able to re-create this by sending a test message from my email to mynumber(at)vtext(dot)com. Message was delivered even though cellular data was off (although I was still connected to wifi). Interestingly, trying to reply to the text message failed. My phone (iphone) indicated it was trying to send MMS.

Anyway, the main reason for my post is how do I stop or block text messages that appear to be from an email address?

Feedback Score
    Messages sent from email to a phone have to use what is called the "SMS Gateway", which you used in your self test. In my Android phone I can reply to those messages back to email, and reply to that back to the phone messaging.

I don't have the ability with my Android phone to block sent text messages that come from an email address, only from a phone number or an SMS Gateway address. There is a difference in how an iPhone handles text messages, so I don't know what all you can do. Android phones used to have a feature to block all messages except those in your contact list, but mine does not have this.

Feedback Score
    Is it the same email addresses over and over?

If so, add them to your contacts list and go to Settings -> Messages -> Blocked Contacts and add them to that list. (iPhone SE w/ IOS 14.3, here.)

I don't know if this will prevent being charged for the incoming text, however. You'll have to experiment.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thu1227 View Post
    Is it the same email addresses over and over?
    No, its a different email each time.

Feedback Score
    Request a new number from PagePlus customer service and hope it's not spammy?

Reply STOP to the texts? (SMS to emails will usually go out as MMS and require cellular data.)

Verizon-proper customers apparently have the option to block spam from email domains (e.g., gmail.com) in their online accounts. You could ask customer service if they can do that for you, but I would be concerned about not having personal control over settings like that.