Thread: FaceID With Masks

Feedback Score

FaceID With Masks

Well, I guess I'm really bored but due to comments in another unrelated forum, the topic of virus facemasks & FaceID became an matter of contention. A few Apple users hate FaceID and want a return to home buttons, citing face masks as an excuse. So I did some experimenting and decided to post my results here for the 2-3 of you who might care.

Using one of the standard blue, pleated masks, I find that my iPhone 12 Pro Max will unlock reliably if I merely pull the mask down enough to completly uncover my nose. This is leaving the elastic straps around my ears. The unlock occurs quickly, and it seems quickest if I pull down the mask first, then touch the screen to wake the phone up. Very handy when in public areas that require masks, and you are not too likely to offend Karen if it's only for a few seconds. It makes it easier and quicker to view Pandora, your map, reminders list, etc. and avoid the passcode nuisance. This may not be the perfect solution for every face, but it is works quite well for mine.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Seems like an easy solution for those who like to complain about having to wear face masks.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    That, or those who like to complain about FaceID. In this case I think that was more likely. The same guy *****ed about how it didn’t work while wearing sunglasses riding his bike. I suggested he try and set up the alternate identity while in his riding position. He never replied, so I think he was disappointed that it probably worked that way and he lost his complaint.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, it happened to me when this thing first hit in March. At the time I was also wearing gloves in stores so the fingerprint sensor didn't work either.

First world problem. I can always touch the power button and enter my pattern. No big deal.

Feedback Score
    duplicate, not topic post deleted.