Thread: Does Red Pocket now have roaming from Verizon onto Sprint?

Device(s)
    Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket Verizon prepaid monthly
    Feedback Score

Does Red Pocket now have roaming from Verizon onto Sprint?

I have two phones on the Red Pocket Mobile Family Plan, CDMAV for Verizon towers, and have posted about many of my problem before, but today I had something unusual happen.

(As posted elsewhere, I live in a rural area, and the reliability of my calls from home got worse after Band 13 was removed last year, but does fairly well if Band 5 shows a reasonable level, and worse when only Band 2 seems available.)

At home in the morning I was able to make calls, and also on the way in to the city of Mobile, Alabama. But, in someone's office, attempting to make a call just got some sort of recording from Sprint, asking me to pay somehow to make a call. When the person sitting across the desk tried to call my phone, his call just went to my voicemail.
    (He has AT&T.)

Later, when driving away from that office, I started to receive calls, and could make them just like normal.

In that office the display seems to show LTE was active, and a very quick look with Network Cell Info showed Band 13 available.

Red Pocket's FAQ says "Red Pocket Mobile does not offer out of network roaming services with a standard monthly plan." And my account is still active, and looks the same.

My phone has roaming disabled, as that is the advice I saw long ago from Red Pocket.

What happened, and why would Sprint invite me to roam?

Device(s)
    iPhone, OnePlus 8, iPhone 7 Plus (Car phone)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rd10221 View Post
    I have two phones on the Red Pocket Mobile Family Plan, CDMAV for Verizon towers, and have posted about many of my problem before, but today I had something unusual happen.

(As posted elsewhere, I live in a rural area, and the reliability of my calls from home got worse after Band 13 was removed last year, but does fairly well if Band 5 shows a reasonable level, and worse when only Band 2 seems available.)

At home in the morning I was able to make calls, and also on the way in to the city of Mobile, Alabama. But, in someone's office, attempting to make a call just got some sort of recording from Sprint, asking me to pay somehow to make a call. When the person sitting across the desk tried to call my phone, his call just went to my voicemail.
    (He has AT&T.)

Later, when driving away from that office, I started to receive calls, and could make them just like normal.

In that office the display seems to show LTE was active, and a very quick look with Network Cell Info showed Band 13 available.

Red Pocket's FAQ says "Red Pocket Mobile does not offer out of network roaming services with a standard monthly plan." And my account is still active, and looks the same.

My phone has roaming disabled, as that is the advice I saw long ago from Red Pocket.

What happened, and why would Sprint invite me to roam?
    Redpocket Verizon has always been able to roam on Sprint, UScellular and other cdma carriers. But you can’t use it. Unless you pay by call using a credit card or calling card. This has always been the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Device(s)
    Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    So Red Pocket doesn't have a business arrangement for roaming on Sprint, and I would have to make my own deal with Sprint individually?

How would I even go about buying such a "calling card"?
    And how would I use it?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    So Red Pocket doesn't have a business arrangement for roaming on Sprint, and I would have to make my own deal with Sprint individually?

How would I even go about buying such a "calling card"?
    And how would I use it?
    You’d make the arrangement with the American roaming network which has been around since at least the late 90s.

You can get the info when you call and get that message you got.

You can even use it with a cdma phone that’s not active. It’s on Verizon, Sprint, and uscellular.

Device(s)
    Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    At the time, I thought the only company name I heard was "Sprint".
    The ARN company's page has:

"ARN service works from most unregistered CDMA, TDMA mobile phones."

"The American Roaming Account provides an "Outbound Calls Only" long distance service to anywhere in the U.S. and Canada. Inbound calls are not possible."

Also, my phone has been set to VoLTE for over a year.
    Most of the time when I don't get a good signal on the phone (MotoG6) I see it drop to 3G or similar.
    And I'd be interested in receiving incoming calls, too.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    At the time, I thought the only company name I heard was "Sprint".
    The ARN company's page has:

"ARN service works from most unregistered CDMA, TDMA mobile phones."

"The American Roaming Account provides an "Outbound Calls Only" long distance service to anywhere in the U.S. and Canada. Inbound calls are not possible."

Also, my phone has been set to VoLTE for over a year.
    Most of the time when I don't get a good signal on the phone (MotoG6) I see it drop to 3G or similar.
    And I'd be interested in receiving incoming calls, too.
    You wouldn’t be able for receive calls. Unless you pay 2 different providers and have an esim or dual sim device. Or carry two devices.

Also a lot of the roaming is due to being able to have access to 911

Device(s)
    Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    What I'm wondering is why the phone suddenly acted differently from simply being in a low/no signal area for Verizon.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    This is certainly one of the most odd coverage arrangements I've ever heard of.

What is this about Band 13 being removed?

Also, keep in mind Sprint is being absorbed by T-Mobile, if it hasn't already happened in your area. What that means is that more and more of Sprint's bandwidth is now either serving T-Mobile customers (where capable), or they're working out which cell sites are going to be dropped/added for the coverage desired of the general T-mobile network plan.

How that may affect any CDMA roaming is beyond me.

Device(s)
    Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I wasn't able to attach the CellMapper screen shot of the Verizon towers in the area, and Network Cell Info did show my phone as having Band 13 available, so there shouldn't have been a no/weak signal circumstance at all.

I was on Airport Blvd at Schillinger Rd in Mobile, Alabama, a very populated business area of town.

My first thought was that Red Pocket messed something up. And usually when they do that, the recorded message I get is from Verizon.

This time, the recorded message was Sprint wanting me to pay to make a call.

(And my phone has been set to use VoLTE for over a year now, so I am not asking about CDMA matters.)
    Last edited by rd10221; 01-13-2021 at 02:35 PM.

Device(s)
    Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    What is this about Band 13 being removed?
    That was my thread concerning the towers where I live, "Is Verizon shutting down Band 13?":
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...g-down-Band-13

Since not having Band 13 in a rural area doesn't make sense to me.

Device(s)
    Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Red Pocket is known for glitches, like the "Red Pocket Verizon Tech Support call" thread currently going on at https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...h-Support-call

That is why my first thought is that they (Red Pocket) messed something up again.