Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile is offering unlimited 4g LTE home internet for $50/month

Feedback Score

T-Mobile is offering unlimited 4g LTE home internet for $50/month

I have cable right now at 100gb/sec speed. I don't know if an LTE connection will hold up with 4 people all needing video for school/work at the same time. Can you connect the T-Mobile gateway to a router? I need the router for printers, phones, home security, and gaming systems.

Better to wait for 5g in our area?

https://www.t-mobile.com/isp?clickid=XMP3LLX-RxyOWuJwUx0Mo36GUkEUmuWdQ1-RSk0&irgwc=1&cmpid=WTR_AF_189491_Slickdeals_LLC_&i radid=189491&irpid=10451&ircid=3290&sharedid=&aam= aam_uuid&invoca=invoca_experience&irmpname=Slickde als_LLC&group=TMDesktop

Device(s)
    iPhone, OnePlus 8, iPhone 7 Plus (Car phone)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    I think you mean 100mbps.

There is zero reason for one to get cellular internet if they have cable or fiber options. Unless it’s a crazy price. If you think your paying too much for your cable internet you can always call and try and get a better deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Feedback Score
    The latency of LTE is ridiculous. I have FIOS now and it's great for working at home (both me and my wife) because it has low latency and symmetrical bandwidth - the upload speeds and latency are very important for remote connections to workstations.

I would be tempted to test their 5G fixed Internet, but I doubt it will be competitive with the fiber. I don't think that even T-Mo will focus on my FIOS area, this is more a rural option IMO.

PS: Verizon offers fixed Ultra Wide Band 5G at $70/mo or $50/mo if you have a wireless plan bigger than $30/mo with them.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    There are many reviews of this service online, and the ones I've read are fairly positive. It is intended for the more underserved (by conventional means) areas. Search for T-mobile Home Internet Reviews. I believe you can connect a standalone router to it, as the built-in one is not one of its strong points.

Feedback Score
    Also, the gateway/modem/router units delivered after 1/1/21 have reportedly been a newer 5G model, for use in areas with T-Mobile 5G availability.

Feedback Score
    It's available in my area and I've been thinking of trying it for a while now. Comcast is ripping me off these days. I don't need fast internet so I was paying Comcast $20.00 per month for 3mb speed for a long time. They now have me up to $45.00 for super slow internet

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    It's available in my area and I've been thinking of trying it for a while now. Comcast is ripping me off these days. I don't need fast internet so I was paying Comcast $20.00 per month for 3mb speed for a long time. They now have me up to $45.00 for super slow internet

even if speedtest's show faster i doubt it would be an overall better experience, especially as you state that you do not need fast internet.

the latency, jitter and packet loss simply will not match up with comcast's so certain large downloads might be faster but overall web browsing etc. likely not better or even worse. it will likely also vary a lot with time of day and day of week. of course your exact location is very relevant as well.

i am a fan of good fast cellular internet to hotspot too but usually not in place of wired but only when wired is unavailable or impractical.

Feedback Score
    I went to TM website to see if it's available in my area since Verizon's same offer isn't even though their website claims it is in my zip.
    But TM requires a cell # in addition to your address to check availability. What's that about? Do you need to be a TM phone customer to get their fixed wireless offer ? Or they want any cell # so they can spam market you.

ATT has the same but not in my area either. There are no cable/fiber options in my rural area. Seems it's best meant for those rural type area's like mentioned above but none of them seem to provide it outside of urban areas.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    You don't have to be a current T-Mo customer. I suspect you're correct about the marketing interest in asking for a phone number.

Feedback Score
    You ought to call Comcast and see what offers they might have to keep you. I've been on some form of their Performance (100Mbps I think) plan for the past few years and have typically paid $35-$40/month with autopay (just need a card on file, can pay early)/paperless and a 1-year-contract (takes $10 off). Their contract ETFs are $10 x number of months remaining, so as long as I can go 6 months, I've hit a break-even point on that. Typically the plan I'm on is $76 in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    You don't have to be a current T-Mo customer. I suspect you're correct about the marketing interest in asking for a phone number.
    I had a family member get it and had no other T-Mobile services. They're on the LTE unit (probably will eventually request the 5G upgrade as T-Mobile is going to start doing swaps). Speeds are okay—25-50Mbps as advertised and latency is in the 20-30ms range.

The page to sign up takes a phone number because they'll call to sign you up if your area has service or gets service added. The account itself is standalone (even with other T-Mobile products, it's not billed with them), postpaid, and requires a credit check (if you have existing T-Mobile postpaid service, you can skip this).

Feedback Score
    Anyone know what T-Mo charges for the hotspot/router?

Feedback Score
    $0.00, I think.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    I see I'm eligible, so if the local cable company upset me enough I could change. But I would be going from 960mb for $104 to 25mb for $50.

But that is the first time in years there has been any competition since ATT never got past DSL here, and doesn't even offer service to my house anymore.
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current primary phone. No plans to upgrade plan to 5G.

Feedback Score
    The "home gateway" (modem/router) doesn't have any charge, but you also don't own it and have to return it if you cancel service. On the other hand, it's nice because they'll swap faulty ones or if there's a better/newer model (like the Nokia 5G one). The SIM is IMEI-locked to that device, and probably not a good idea to do any modifications—a majority of complaints are people who want to swap into a different modem or use external antennas.

Speed-wise, it really depends on the location, but they're sort of estimating people will get a least 25-50. There's a few posts with the LTE one getting over 100 and the 5G one getting over 300. I think keeping an eye on tower congestion is why it's not rolled out everywhere yet, as the service is always-deprioritized.

Verizon uses a similar model for their LTE home internet service, but you have to buy it (either $240 up front or if you do it as monthly payments, they do $10/month bill credits).

(I geeked out way too much on this as I'm the "a few hours away family tech support" person and the house in question was on the old AT&T WHPI 250GB plan...only other option was CenturyLink 1.5Mbps-if-you-were-lucky DSL.)

Feedback Score
    At the bare minimum, you should cancel and get Xfinity prepaid. It's $45 a month and offers unlimited 20mbps down / 1mbps up speeds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast