Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Switching over to TF Need Basic FlipPhone

Feedback Score

Switching over to TF Need Basic FlipPhone

I'm switching over from Verizon to TF when my account runs out. My needs are very basic and just want a simple flip phone. I'm not concerned with features but I do of course want good voice quality.

I currently have an eTalk phone (Verizon) which actually is pretty good. It has a sim card, so could I possibly keep it and us it with TF ? Or is there a similar TF phone ? If not could you recommend a good flip ? Also, if it matters I'd like to use the 365 day plan with the phone and would need the Verizon version as that is the best in my area.

My mother has an Alcatel MyFlip, which we're not happy with. So if there are better I'll probably replace hers as well.

Thanks...

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HardWird View Post
    I currently have an eTalk phone (Verizon) which actually is pretty good. It has a sim card, so could I possibly keep it and us it with TF ?
    Two things are at play here:
    1. Whether or not your eTalk phone is unlocked so it'll accept a BYOP TF/Verizon SIM.
    2. Whether the eTalk's IMEI is on TF/Veriozon "whitelist" so it can be used to activate a BYOP TF/Verizon SIM.

What to do:
    1. Go to tracfone.com -->Click on ACTIVATE -->I'm bringing my own smartphone -->No, I don't have a SIM card -->Select Verizon. Enter the eTalk's IMEI and see if it's compatible (i.e. on the whitelist). If it comes back as not compatible, forget this idea.
    2. If it comes back as compatible, put a TF SIM into the eTalk phone and see if it's accepted. If it is, you're good to go.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Two things are at play here:
    1. Whether or not your eTalk phone is unlocked so it'll accept a BYOP TF/Verizon SIM.
    2. Whether the eTalk's IMEI is on TF/Veriozon "whitelist" so it can be used to activate a BYOP TF/Verizon SIM.

What to do:
    1. Go to tracfone.com -->Click on ACTIVATE -->I'm bringing my own smartphone -->No, I don't have a SIM card -->Select Verizon. Enter the eTalk's IMEI and see if it's compatible (i.e. on the whitelist). If it comes back as not compatible, forget this idea.
    2. If it comes back as compatible, put a TF SIM into the eTalk phone and see if it's accepted. If it is, you're good to go.

Thanks hpham,

I found my phone's IMEI and plugged it into the web site following your instructions. However I got this... "Transaction is pending for this device" and the page seems stuck there. If I hit the continue button again, it just cycles around and goes no further. I do though see a green check mark next to the number, if that matters.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I found my phone's IMEI and plugged it into the web site following your instructions. However I got this... "Transaction is pending for this device" and the page seems stuck there. If I hit the continue button again, it just cycles around and goes no further. I do though see a green check mark next to the number, if that matters.
    The green check mark only indicates that the IMEI was run through, it doesn't mean that it's accepted.

As far as "Transaction is pending for this device", is there a pending port-out request on that phone?

Feedback Score
    Is the phone unlocked by Verizon? That should happen automatically after 60 days use on an up to date account.

Feedback Score
    The green check mark only indicates that the IMEI was run through, it doesn't mean that it's accepted.

As far as "Transaction is pending for this device", is there a pending port-out request on that phone?
    What does it mean when the SIM checker returns 'SIM Card is required'? I followed your steps choosing Verizon. I tried another random device and it said 'Congratulations' so I'm not sure what the first message means.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pitflyer View Post
    What does it mean when the SIM checker returns 'SIM Card is required'?
    Is it a device that uses an eSIM? Someone (maybe it was you) got that message recently and the only possible answer we could come up with was that a physical SIM was needed.

Feedback Score
    Is it a device that uses an eSIM? Someone (maybe it was you) got that message recently and the only possible answer we could come up with was that a physical SIM was needed.
    LOL It was me. I know AlexTrac was nice enough to reach out to me but I haven't yet reached out to TracFone support to see what the error actually is about. Guess nothing I can do but chat and try to get it fixed and let you folks know what happens.

Note I also have an iPhone SE 2020 -- which ALSO has an eSIM -- and no problems with that one (well in theory, its locked so I can't actually use it). It's just an odd message since it is like my IMEI was not whitelisted by Verizon, but its not quite ineligible either.

Feedback Score

Hpham,

Not familiar with the term 'pending port-out request'. Could you elaborate ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Is the phone unlocked by Verizon? That should happen automatically after 60 days use on an up to date account.

Not sure. where can I find this information ? Or would I need to contact Verizon ?

That said, I've only had the phone a few weeks now, probably less than 60 days though.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Not familiar with the term 'pending port-out request'. Could you elaborate ?
    Because you talked about switching from Verizon to TF, I was just wondering if you had submitted a request to TF to port your phone number from Verizon to TF. If you did, then the whitelist checker would see that the IMEI is currently tied to Verizon but is in the process of being "freed up" so it could be used with TF or another provider.

Feedback Score
    It is going to need a physical SIM, as AFAIK only the carriers can activate an eSIM so far.

Feedback Score
    Not sure. where can I find this information ? Or would I need to contact Verizon ?

That said, I've only had the phone a few weeks now, probably less than 60 days though.
    You will have to contact Verizon for the phone status. Can you estimate the date of activation?

Feedback Score
    Yes it was a physical sim and physical IMEI. It seems like a bug in Tracfone database that they think it's the eSIM IMEI (I know it's the right IMEI as it is currently on Red Pocket GSMA and that is what shows)

Feedback Score
    Because you talked about switching from Verizon to TF, I was just wondering if you had submitted a request to TF to port your phone number from Verizon to TF. If you did, then the whitelist checker would see that the IMEI is currently tied to Verizon but is in the process of being "freed up" so it could be used with TF or another provider.

No I haven't submitted a request to TF. I wasn't aware you could do that. Was the reason then that the whitelist checker never worked for me because I hadn't submitted a request ?

I'm a little confused now, should I contact TF and submit a request first before checking my IMEI ?

Thank you....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast