Thread: Spam texts?

Feedback Score

Spam texts?

I have received a couple of spam texts in the past 24 hours. The texts are MMS texts and show up sent from an email. The first text I just deleted. The second I have not deleted yet. Is there anything that I can do to block these texts? How can I prevent being charged for these texts?

At least, spam calls show up as spam calls and I just don’t answer them. Actually, I don’t answer any calls unless I recognize the number.

I hope that these spam texts are not the start of a new and very annoying trend.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Reach out to customer service if it becomes problematic. Sadly, once your phone # gets on a SPAM list, it is hard to stop it. Forget about the government "Do Not Call" list as it would be useless. Do you have a smartphone (iPhone or Android) ? If you do have one, you can search the phone store for applications that help block unwanted calls/text. They can't guarantee that you will never get one, only limit the amount of such SPAM texts.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    You can't avoid being charged for the spam texts. As far as blocking them, on some phones/providers, when you're viewing the text, touch the 3 dots in the upper-right corner-->Details. There might be an option to Block & report it as spam.

Name:  Spam-Text-Blocking.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  14.9 KB

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I have been getting this too. I have not figure out why the spam is crazy like this yet.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    I have been getting this too. I have not figure out why the spam is crazy like this yet.
    Just like asking why you get get junk email and junk mail from the post office.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    Just like asking why you get get junk email and junk mail from the post office.
    Yea, but these text messages have no meaning that I thought maybe a spam detection system would see easily tho.

Feedback Score
    I have a question about this, but its is not an answer, and is not any kind of known solution.

If you have a set of cell plans allowing you to buy separate quantities for talk, and text, and data, could you maybe spare and suffer for a month not buying any text service? This may mean whoever sends text messages to you, cannot actually send you anything, so if the sender is informed that there is no destination for his message, maybe he must stop sending to you regardless.

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    If you have a set of cell plans allowing you to buy separate quantities for talk, and text, and data, could you maybe spare and suffer for a month not buying any text service? This may mean whoever sends text messages to you, cannot actually send you anything, so if the sender is informed that there is no destination for his message, maybe he must stop sending to you regardless.
    I could be wrong, but I don't think the text sender gets any kind of notification if your text bucket is empty. (The recipient will get notified that his/her text bucket is empty). The text still gets sent to the carrier's server, it just won't be distributed to the recipient if the recipient's text allotment/bucket is exhausted.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by happygrrl1 View Post
    I hope that these spam texts are not the start of a new and very annoying trend.
    New?

It's been a problem for years now.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I get a ton of "auto warranty is about to expire" calls which is ironic considering my newest car is 16 years old. My phone (Google 3a) almost always flags them and I can read the transcripts.

Feedback Score
    I get the auto warranty calls also, but at least with calls I just don’t answer so I am not charged for them. I think the reason I get so annoyed with the texts is that I am charged for them. It is not how I want to spend my text allotment.

Feedback Score
    Just a suggestion. It won't keep you from getting the spam as an sms text, but if the one's you're getting are mms and you care about the data, you can disable auto download mms on some phones. When you get an mms text it will prompt to allow download or not. It'll still be an sms but not all the spill (data) included in an mms.