Thread: Porting a number from Vonage to T Mobile?

Feedback Score

Porting a number from Vonage to T Mobile?

I want to port a Vonage number to T Mobile. I only plan to keep T Mobile for a month or less as I will port the number to Google Voice. Required as I can not port directly from Vonage to GV. It looks like the 2 lowest cost options are: (1) TM Postpaid, unlimited talk and text (no data) for $20 (including taxes and fees) per month or (2) TM Prepaid, unlimited talk, text and 2 GB of data for $15 (plus fees and taxes). It appears that either option ends up about the same cost and as I am not really planning on using the line while it lives with TM, the amount of T&T and data is moot. I am bring a TM compatible BYOD to the table so my only cost will be the one months bill plus $10 for a new SIM.

Question is it better to move my line to Prepaid or Postpaid? Which will make my port out to GV the smoothest? My credit is fine so there is no issue with a credit check.

The reason I am dumping Vonage is I have a low use $14.99 plan and with taxes and fees the total is over $26 per month. (And i do not have any excess usage charges).

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Use numberbarn.com the port in fee is 5 plus the park plan is 2 ... once in number barn, you can port away to google voice

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cr0w View Post
    Use numberbarn.com the port in fee is 5 plus the park plan is 2 ... once in number barn, you can port away to google voice

Thanks for that. Seems like a better deal than going to TM. I just put in the request to port to numberbarn.com. I picked the forward option $5 + $6 per month. I They say it takes 3-7 days, I'll report back on how it goes

Feedback Score
    Within 2 hours I got an email from number barn that my port was approved and will happen on 1/20.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I used them alot. Once they port-in you can immediately port out. I usually just use the park plan which is $2 it does allow you to text but not call...

Feedback Score
    Apparently I have screwed up. The port from Vonage to Number Barn went without a hitch, however Google Voice will not accept the port in. They consider Number Barn to be a landline carrier. I will port to TM and try again.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    Yes, you need to get the number to a mobile carrier to port to google voice.

I did this maneuver a few years ago to get a landline number I have had since 1996 to Google Voice. I used T-mobile prepaid as the temporary carrier.

Numberbarn is great, but not for this.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    Numberbarn is great, but not for this.
    They used to, i just tried to move 2numbers from numberbarn to google voice and is not supported. Which is a bummer.
    Rojniles: sorry for the wrong info, did not realized they stopped doing this to google voice... last time i ported to google voice was in 2017....
    I do use numberbarn to park my numbers, but is mostly for t-mobile. (I have a business, so I park lots of numbers when they are not in use.. sometimes i look for numbers with the same area code and prefix)

Feedback Score
    Update: Ported my number from Number Barn to T Mobile prepaid. Port did not go well due to my mistake. I screwed up the account number and Number Barn refused the port request from TM. Had to get TM support involved to correct the account number. Support was very good and once corrected the port went thru in about an hour. I plan on letting everything settled down for a week before I port out to Google Voice. I will be more careful with the account number in the future, lesson learned.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk