Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34

Thread: Cricket Wireless is auditing their network & disabling VoLTE on phones not whitelisted

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    451
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0

    Cricket Wireless is auditing their network & disabling VoLTE on phones not whitelisted

    I have a OnePlus 6 and my wife a Nokia 6.1 Both devices capable of doing VoLTE but would not work on VoLTE on Cricket. Yesterday I purchased a Pixel 4A 5G (which is included in the AT&T list of "HD Calling"/VoLTE compatible devices). After moving my SIM to the Pixel and confirming that VoLTE was working I moved my SIM back to the OnePlus 6 and VoLTE started working on the OnePlus 6 (had the VoLTE icon lit and confirmed I could make calls using LTE). Worked great all day. Even put my wife's SIM from her Nokia 6.1 into my Pixel and then moved it back to her Nokia 6.1 and VoLTE worked on her Nokia 6.1. This worked fine all day until..... This morning when VoLTE was again non-functional on both my OnePlus 6 and her Nokia 6.1. My assumption is that Cricket/ATT is doing network auditing and if the phones are not on their Whitelist, disabling VoLTE on them in the overnight hours. It's clear that VoLTE is capable of functioning on these two model phones (and likely many other VoLTE capable phones that they are refusing to Whitelist) and that AT&T/Cricket is simply trying to drive device sales using the 3G shutdown as an excuse. Maybe I'm crazy but I plan to bring this anti-consumer practice to the attention of my local Congress people who I suspect would have an interest in this. It does seem like something that both the FCC and the FTC may have an interest in as well as IMHO it's purely a ploy by AT&T and Cricket to drive device sales. There is also an aspect to this that is anti-environmental as they are condemning many devices to leave service (and possible end up as electronic waste) prior to when they actually are obsolete. Another point is with a SIM swap triggering non "Cricket non-compatible" devices from functioning at all after Tuesday, that's a pretty bad look for AT&T/Cricket disabling peoples devices unnecessarily in the middle of a pandemic.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    751
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    0
    Try toggling airplane mode.

    My LG-V30 isn't supposed to get VoLTE, but it started working a short while ago (the icon just turned on one morning).

    Since then I have noticed it turns off from time to time, usually overnight, but toggling airplane mode on and then back off gets the icon back.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    451
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mbellot View Post
    Try toggling airplane mode.

    My LG-V30 isn't supposed to get VoLTE, but it started working a short while ago (the icon just turned on one morning).

    Since then I have noticed it turns off from time to time, usually overnight, but toggling airplane mode on and then back off gets the icon back.
    Your LG-V30 is currently on the ATT Whitelist which I think is the list that Cricket is actually going by (more or less), so this is why your LG-V30 is now getting VoLTE. Here's the complete list updated last week of Whitelisted phones. https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/con...TT-Network.pdf

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    132
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by greatgoogly View Post
    ...Here's the complete list updated last week of Whitelisted phones. https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/con...TT-Network.pdf
    Thank you for posting this important list.
    Please click 10 or more times HERE to view this signature.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,856
    Feedback Score
    0
    So it sounds like my trusty Huawei Mate SE will become a brick in 2022. Really sucks because it gets the best reception of any phone I've ever used.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,004
    Device(s)
    Motorola MOTO X4, Iphone 6S On VZW (Wife's)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by greatgoogly View Post
    Your LG-V30 is currently on the ATT Whitelist which I think is the list that Cricket is actually going by (more or less), so this is why your LG-V30 is now getting VoLTE. Here's the complete list updated last week of Whitelisted phones. https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/con...TT-Network.pdf
    Thank you for posting that list, I didn't even know that list existed. I have a Moto X4 and I don't understand why it's not on that compatible list because it is definitely VoLTE capable. I used it for a while on Verizon Prepaid in 2019 with VoLTE.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,385
    Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 7 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by greatgoogly View Post
    I have a OnePlus 6 and my wife a Nokia 6.1 Both devices capable of doing VoLTE but would not work on VoLTE on Cricket. Yesterday I purchased a Pixel 4A 5G (which is included in the AT&T list of "HD Calling"/VoLTE compatible devices). After moving my SIM to the Pixel and confirming that VoLTE was working I moved my SIM back to the OnePlus 6 and VoLTE started working on the OnePlus 6 (had the VoLTE icon lit and confirmed I could make calls using LTE). Worked great all day. Even put my wife's SIM from her Nokia 6.1 into my Pixel and then moved it back to her Nokia 6.1 and VoLTE worked on her Nokia 6.1. This worked fine all day until..... This morning when VoLTE was again non-functional on both my OnePlus 6 and her Nokia 6.1. My assumption is that Cricket/ATT is doing network auditing and if the phones are not on their Whitelist, disabling VoLTE on them in the overnight hours. It's clear that VoLTE is capable of functioning on these two model phones (and likely many other VoLTE capable phones that they are refusing to Whitelist) and that AT&T/Cricket is simply trying to drive device sales using the 3G shutdown as an excuse. Maybe I'm crazy but I plan to bring this anti-consumer practice to the attention of my local Congress people who I suspect would have an interest in this. It does seem like something that both the FCC and the FTC may have an interest in as well as IMHO it's purely a ploy by AT&T and Cricket to drive device sales. There is also an aspect to this that is anti-environmental as they are condemning many devices to leave service (and possible end up as electronic waste) prior to when they actually are obsolete. Another point is with a SIM swap triggering non "Cricket non-compatible" devices from functioning at all after Tuesday, that's a pretty bad look for AT&T/Cricket disabling peoples devices unnecessarily in the middle of a pandemic.
    This has been something Cricket has done for a number of years, even before they got bought by AT&T. I was a dealer that sold a lot of flashed phones, to the point that people would buy phones from me and take it to the Cricket office to have it activated. The office started activating the phones, but turned off internet and picture messaging on the accounts and would tell people that it was an issue with the phone, so they should get their money back from me and go buy a phone from them. When they would come in, I would see that the services were off on their account, call customer care and they would turn it on. Problem solved. You may call them and see if they have disabled this on your account and turn it back on. It was shady stuff like this that caused me to stop dealing with Cricket years ago. Hopefully they will change this practice since more and more people want to keep their phones and not deal with cheap or free phones on a port in that won't last as long.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    751
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by greatgoogly View Post
    Here's the complete list updated last week of Whitelisted phones. https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/con...TT-Network.pdf
    Thanks for the list. Naturally three out of the five phones in my house are not on it.

    I'm assuming the Samsungs are AT&T variant only, which would also figure since I have an S6 and S7 that are both TMo.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    127
    Feedback Score
    0
    I think AT&T is recognizing that if they make a lot of customers phones (that are VoLTE capable) unusable after they turn down 3G they will lose customers in droves to T Mobile

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    307
    Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket/AIO
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust N Bones View Post
    I have a Moto X4 and I don't understand why it's not on that compatible list because it is definitely VoLTE capable. I used it for a while on Verizon Prepaid in 2019 with VoLTE.
    I have a Moto X4 as well. What does this mean for us?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    985
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    0
    Apparently if you SIM-swap to an unsupported device, your line gets suspended and even swapping it back requires a call to customer service: https://reddit.com/r/CricketWireless...nt_completely/

    Seems a bit extreme, as opposed to things just not working?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    451
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    Apparently if you SIM-swap to an unsupported device, your line gets suspended and even swapping it back requires a call to customer service: https://reddit.com/r/CricketWireless...nt_completely/

    Seems a bit extreme, as opposed to things just not working?
    Yup, this happened to me this morning. Moved SIM from my Pixel 4a 5g to my OP6. Boom account suspended, wouldn't work in the Pixel until I called customer service. Can't believe they are suspending accounts just for putting a SIM in a allegedly non-compatible device. I've decided I'm pretty much done with Cricket. The question is are the other ATT based MVNO's required to be this restrictive on the phones that they activate?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,004
    Device(s)
    Motorola MOTO X4, Iphone 6S On VZW (Wife's)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by phlack View Post
    I have a Moto X4 as well. What does this mean for us?
    Well, I know for me it's pretty obvious. Either get a new phone that Cricket has on their whitelist OR switch to a different MVNO that doesn't use AT&T's network.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,351
    Feedback Score
    0
    Is Cricket BYOD IMEI checker accurate? If the IMEI reports OK then it is ok to sim swap to that device? Don't want my account to suspend if I can avoid it.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    751
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by greatgoogly View Post
    Yup, this happened to me this morning. Moved SIM from my Pixel 4a 5g to my OP6. Boom account suspended, wouldn't work in the Pixel until I called customer service.
    This is completely unacceptable. A text to the "incompatible" (not yet really) phone to let the subscriber know it's not going to work in a little over a year would be the correct response.

    Failing that, a text to let the customer know the phone is not supported on the network and they need to use a supported phone (no service, but SIM remains active so it can be used immediately after a "good" phone is obtained).

    Disabling/suspending a functional and paid up SIM is crap.

    I guess it's time to start looking for alternatives now so I can be done moving to a more reasonable MVNO before SHTF.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Cricket wireless Nokia Lumia 530 network unblock pin for Metro Pcs,T-mobile
    By canadagsm.ca in forum Canadagsm.ca Best deals in mobilephones, accessories and unlocking all under one roof
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-05-2015, 06:27 AM
  2. Cricket wireless ZTE Overture 2 network sim unlock code to use any where in the world
    By canadagsm.ca in forum Canadagsm.ca Best deals in mobilephones, accessories and unlocking all under one roof
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-05-2015, 06:19 AM
  3. Cricket wireless Nokia Lumia 635 Network Unlock pin for T-mobile,Digicel,Movistar
    By canadagsm.ca in forum Canadagsm.ca Best deals in mobilephones, accessories and unlocking all under one roof
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-05-2015, 06:06 AM
  4. [2015] Cricket Wireless Motorola Moto E Network Unlocking to work with Orange UK,Tele
    By canadagsm.ca in forum Canadagsm.ca Best deals in mobilephones, accessories and unlocking all under one roof
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-20-2015, 05:44 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-20-2011, 07:05 PM

Bookmarks