Thread: Looking for recommendations for a flip phone compatible with T-Mobile

Carrier(s)
    US Mobile (this month anyway)
    Feedback Score

Looking for recommendations for a flip phone compatible with T-Mobile

That Liberty Wireless $60/year eBay special looks like a good fit for one of my clients. He only needs talk and text, no data. But he'll need a compatible phone and the Alcatel MyFlip phones that I've seen are all with Tracfone. Is there a reasonably priced 4G flip phone that's T-Mobile compliant that he could purchase to use with Liberty Wireless?
    Long-life expanded battery for the LG V20 in my Bonanza booth.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Relztrah,

Another excellent flip phone to use on T-Mobile is the Alcatel 4052W (GoFlip 3). This flip phone runs KaiOS 2.5 which gets you Google Assistant and variety of apps including WhatsApp. Uses a nano sim and has a micro SD card slot (up to 32gb, larger SD cards don't always work).

Probably the BEST two features of this phone are:

1) Supports WiFi calling. The only other flip phone I'm aware of that has wifi calling is the Sonim XP3800. I know wifi calling works because I have this phone and do not have T-Mobile service at my house.

2) Hotspot capability. This phone can be used as a hotspot. Again, the only other flip phones I'm aware of that have hotspot are the Nokia 2720 and the Sonim XP3800.

NOTE: There are several different carrier versions of the Alcatel "flip phone". Only the T-Mobile version (4052W) has WiFi calling and mobile hotspot. The AT&T version does NOT have wifi calling and only allows USB tethering.

The Alcatel 4052W sells for around $40 on eBay for a near mint phone.

Eric

Carrier(s)
    US Mobile (this month anyway)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks fv22652. The Alcatel GoFlip would be an excellent choice. WiFi calling is a plus. Hotspot doesn't really matter since he would only have UT&T, no data. I'll be aware of the model number so that I purchase the T-Mobile version.

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus, Tello, T-Mobile, TRU SIM, Liberty Wrls.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fv22652 View Post
    NOTE: There are several different carrier versions of the Alcatel "flip phone". Only the T-Mobile version (4052W) has WiFi calling and mobile hotspot.
    The T-Mo 4052W will work on Metro. The Metro 4052Z will not work on T-Mo/Liberty unless it's unlocked. I mention this because some sellers on eBay (and probably elsewhere) list them as if they're interchangeable...they aren't.

I recommend this case or similar -- the phone has a slick finish:
    Case-Mate-Case-Cover-Tough-Grip-Alcatel-SmartFlip-Smart-Flip-Black-New

Device(s)
    Motorola G6
    Carrier(s)
    Page Pluss
    Feedback Score

Looking for T-Mobile flip phone

Quote Originally Posted by fv22652 View Post

NOTE: There are several different carrier versions of the Alcatel "flip phone". Only the T-Mobile version (4052W) has WiFi calling and mobile hotspot. The AT&T version does NOT have wifi calling and only allows USB tethering.
    The Tracfone Alcatel A405DL can be unlocked and used on (non-Tracfone) T-Mobile. My example has both VoLTE ans VoWIFI, You *could* get a resh A405DL from Tracfone for $5 refurbed and swap it with a friend who has had one active for a year and unlocked. I'll look and see if my example has "hotspot."

Regards, FJ

Feedback Score
    The Tracfone version of the Doro 7050 is unlocked for use on T-Mobile.
    I don't know why but if you have a T-Mobile SIM card it just works.

Good loud speaker phone.

Nice big buttons.

It is 4G LTE.

Sent from my Magnificent Moto e7 2020

Device(s)
    Motorola G6
    Carrier(s)
    Page Pluss
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontierjustice View Post
    The Tracfone Alcatel A405DL can be unlocked and used on (non-Tracfone) T-Mobile. My example has both VoLTE and VoWIFI, I'll look and see if my example has "hotspot."

Regards, FJ
    I have looked . My active on T-Mobile Alcatel A405DL has "Internet Sharing"greyed out. I have another A405DL (on Tracfone) where Internet Sharing is *not* greyed out - but all the choices under that choice are greyed out. The two choices displayed are "USB" and "USB Tethering."

Regards, FJ

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontierjustice View Post
    I have looked . My active on T-Mobile Alcatel A405DL has "Internet Sharing"greyed out. I have another A405DL (on Tracfone) where Internet Sharing is *not* greyed out - but all the choices under that choice are greyed out. The two choices displayed are "USB" and "USB Tethering."

Regards, FJ
    The 405 only does USB tethering for hotspot, not wireless hotspot, based on what I saw when I first got it. That was on PPC (vzw).
    Did you have data turned on or off when you saw the grey outs ? Don't recall but maybe you need data on to select it if you didn't.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowyWhite View Post
    The Tracfone version of the Doro 7050 is unlocked for use on T-Mobile.
    I don't know why but if you have a T-Mobile SIM card it just works.

Good loud speaker phone.

Nice big buttons.

It is 4G LTE.

Sent from my Magnificent Moto e7 2020
    Stay away from Doro 7050. I bought 3 refurbished and 1 brand new and they all had the same flaws. 1) keys do multiple numbers when pressed; 2) it freezes up regularly and needs battery taken out to work again; 3) out of the blue it will start beeping (during a call or when idle) and nothing stops it other than removing the battery. Lots of good things for this phone but the pesky things I noted outweigh them.

Sent from my SM-P610 using HoFo mobile app