Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: List Of Universal/Unlocked 5G Phones That Will Work On AT&T And Verizon

Feedback Score

List Of Universal/Unlocked 5G Phones That Will Work On AT&T And Verizon

I am starting to think about getting a universal/unlocked smartphone that will work on BOTH AT&T and Verizon 5G bands. What are my choices right now?

Device(s)
    Moto Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    One plus Nord N10 5g, unlocked version..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    I am starting to think about getting a universal/unlocked smartphone that will work on BOTH AT&T and Verizon 5G bands. What are my choices right now?
    see this thread - https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...Verizon-Sprint

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I'm interested as well but the list is kind of short at the moment.

From what I have gleaned from others To get full Verizon 5g compatibility, you need a phone with UW designation. That should indicate that it has bands 260 and 261. From what I understand, phones with the more common 5g bands(60 and 61) will give you "fake 5g on Verizon "-the 5g icon but not much improvement on speed.

One phone I looked at was the TCL 5g UW. According to the specs, it's missing bands 17(AT&T) and 71(T-mobile). I don't know if this affects your decision making.

Other phones I've glanced at are the Google Pixel 4a 5g and there is a Nokia 8.3 5g UW out there. Anybody that owns either of these phones, feel free to add to our knowledge.

I believe it's been reported by another hf member that if you have Red pocket Verizon, 5g is already working without any extra expense or configuration.

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    It depends if you want uwb 5G or standard 5G.

Device(s)
    Moto Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Info on mmWave bands..

Because mmWave bands are much higher-frequency than bands used for 4G and 3G, they do not reach as far, nor as well through solid objects. A typical mmWave base station ("tower") only covers one or two city blocks, at most.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    It depends if you want uwb 5G or standard 5G.
    What's the difference? I think if you get a UW phone, you get standard 5g as well. But what's standard 5g? Is the that only available on T-Mobile?

I believe there's a Samsung A51 UW and A71 UW out there as well.

What are the 5g compatible One Plus phones out there?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    What's the difference? I think if you get a UW phone, you get standard 5g as well. But what's standard 5g? Is the that only available on T-Mobile?

I believe there's a Samsung A51 UW and A71 UW out there as well.

What are the 5g compatible One Plus phones out there?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using HoFo mobile app
    I don't know how TM is doing it but Vzw's uwb is like @bigbw describes above mmWave. What I refer to as standard 5G is Vzw's nationwide coverage which is just sharing band 5 with 4G known as DDS.
    quote: "With the global 5G network rollout, dynamic spectrum sharing (DSS) between 4G and 5G is a focal point for mobile network operators. DSS enables the quick and cost-effective build out of robust 5G services, with broad coverage areas, using existing spectrum in mid- and low-band frequencies."

Yes a uwb capable phone get's DDS 5G and I assume even 4G. But I don't think all 5G DDS capable phones can get UWB. I don't really care since in my area (rural) I'll never have uwb in my lifetime and 5G DDS isn't much better then 4G at this point for average users. You only need 5-25 mbps to stream HD. All based on what I read in other forums; no personal experience.

Feedback Score
    I don't know how TM is doing it but Vzw's uwb is like @bigbw describes above mmWave.
    5G+ or 5G mmWave/uwb, which offers very very very fast speeds due to more spectrums, but get blocked by your hand

5G (sub-6ghz 5G), which offers better latency than 4G LTE, slightly better speeds (but not as much as 5G+).
    uses similar frequencies as 4G LTE (low-band <1ghz for coverage, mid band <6ghz for others)

here's a list (so far) of the 5G bands for each provider, let me know if it's inaccurate

mmwave:
    5G+ n260 (37-40ghz) - Verizon, AT&T, T-mobile
    5G+ n261 (27.5-38.35) - Verizon, AT&T, T-mobile
    -> Verizon's deployed a lot of mmWave, the other two not as widely deployed, can reach 2000mbps in speed tests with 4x100mhz blocks

sub-6ghz 5G(the 5G band numbers below are shared with LTE band numbers, aka using same frequency)
    5G n2 (1900mhz) Verizon
    5G n5 (850mhz) Verizon, AT&T
    5G n41 (2500mhz) Sprint/Tmobile
    5G n66 (1700mhz) Verizon
    5G n71 (600mhz) Sprint/Tmobile
    -> tmobile's deploying a lot of n71 and n41 (60mhz of n41 aggregating with 20+15mhz of LTE b66&b2 can get you about 800mbps), though 10mhz of n71 can be 5-100mbps in reallife, not fast)

coming soon: (1-5 years?)
    5G n48 (3500mhz CBRS) Verizon
    5G n77/78/79 (3300-5000mhz C-Band) whoever wins

NOTE: your phone may have a 5G icon, but it's truly only on 4G LTE (with R15 indicator), not on 5G

=====
    there's also annoyances about 5G Standalone versus non-standalone (5G SA vs 5G NSA)

5G NSA = phone connects to both LTE and 5G. no LTE but there's 5G signal - you dont get any connection (typically worse battery life, though your speeds can be faster by carrier-aggregating all the connections together)
    5G SA = phone connects only to 5G (typically better battery life)

CA: carrier-aggregation, check https://cacombos.com/
    phones can mix/match different bands for NSA or SA modes along with different MIMO types, you have to check the phone. higher = more throughput/bandwidth

Quote Originally Posted by bigbw View Post
    One plus Nord N10 5g, unlocked version..

doesn't support mmwave

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
    5G+ or 5G mmWave/uwb, which offers very very very fast speeds due to more spectrums, but get blocked by your hand..............
    Thanks, very useful info. Would it be correct that there's a number of phones out there that support what I was calling standard/dss 5G (ie. sub-6ghz 5G) ? Also what's the difference between a 4G/LTE phone that has the same bands as the sub-6ghz 5G phones ? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Galaxy S21, S21+, S21 Ultra needs to be added to the list.

Feedback Score
    Also what's the difference between a 4G/LTE phone that has the same bands as the sub-6ghz 5G phones ? Thanks.
    They are just different technologies, using the same physical frequency band to transit/receive data

LTE and sub6ghz-5G can be deployed on the same frequency block (eg verizon owns 15mhz of band 66 . Can choose to do 15mhz LTE, 10mhz LTE + 5mhz 5G, 15mhz 5G only, or even dynamic spectrum sharing <dss> as mentioned above. No, cannot deploy both 15mhz LTE plus 15mhz 5G at the same time in the same 15mhz block due to physics, need to choose some ratio/split or do DSS)

We usually specify b66 (band 66 referring to LTE band 66) and n66 (5G "Newradio" n66) to make it clear whether we are saying LTE or 5G

Thanks, very useful info. Would it be correct that there's a number of phones out there that support what I was calling standard/dss 5G (ie. sub-6ghz 5G) ?
    Mmwave is more expensive (need more pricey antenna hardware in the phone). Sub-6ghz is cheaper to implement, most 5G phones would support this only.

You can see how pixel 4 5G (sub-6) released at $499 while the verizon version with mmwave is $599

Iphone/pixel 5 would be the best universal/unlocked phone. Other phones like samsung, really depends if its carrier-branded but unlocked

Feedback Score
    The New Galaxy S21 factory unlocked.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Isn't this more of a wait & see scenario? I mean phone makers can claim what they will but we'll never know for sure until 5G is completely rolled out by all carriers.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.04.21

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Isn't this more of a wait & see scenario? I mean phone makers can claim what they will but we'll never know for sure until 5G is completely rolled out by all carriers.
    Everyone has their own priorities but I don't see the rush to a must have 5G phone. Unless you're a company downloading large files and live in a city where uwb 5G is available. You may save a minute or two downloading a movie, no difference streaming a movie with your LTE vs the non-uwb 5G (assuming a halfway decent signal). But as I said we all have our wants or needs for how we use our phones.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast