Thread: Silly to buy a phone without band b71 in 2021?

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G, Samsung Galaxy S10 (G9730), Lumia 950 XL (Red Pocket)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Google Fi
    Feedback Score

Question Silly to buy a phone without band b71 in 2021?

I was looking at maybe getting a new Samsung phone and noticed that their factory unlocked variants don't include (LTE) band 71. I'd rather not get a T-Mobile branded phone because of grandfathered plan issues.

Does that matter as much looking towards the future if a phone has 5G support? I do notice on cellmapper.com that there are a few cell towers out there (mostly in rural areas) that have band 71 and nothing else, but that's definitely not the norm.

What do people think?
    Last edited by phelme; 01-18-2021 at 06:14 PM.

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phelme View Post
    I was looking at maybe getting a new Samsung phone and noticed that their factory unlocked variants don't include (LTE) band 71. I'd rather not get a T-Mobile branded phone because of grandfathered plan issues.

Does that matter as much looking towards the future if a phone has 5G support? I do notice on cellmapper.com that there are a few cell towers out there (mostly in rural areas) that have band 71 and nothing else, but that's definitely not the norm.

What do people think?
    If you dont plan on using your phone out in any rural areas, you can go without b71. However if getting a 5G device, the lack of n71 will mean you do not get the nationwide 5g coverage and will have to rely on midband and mmWave for 5g, which is still not rolled out nationwide. Though mmWave won’t be national as its wavelength is too limited.

For lte though b12 is on 700 mhz and is considered their extended range lte.

Sent from my Tello iPhone using HoFo
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    I should have mentioned the phones i'm looking at have 5G n71, but not LTE b71. seems like an odd way for things but that's the world of carriers for you.

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I should have mentioned the phones i'm looking at have 5G n71, but not LTE b71. seems like an odd way for things but that's the world of carriers for you.
    Unless it is 'cheap', there's little benefit to getting a 3rd party device that has n71 but no B71.
    1. In many areas you will have carrier aggregation of B2/B4/B71 or B2/B4/B12. Note: Most areas have more B71 spectrum (10MHz vs 5MHz) deployed
    2. Depending on the device and its configuration, you will have to ensure that it is set up for at least n71 SA. If you have n71 NSA, then you'll have to ensure that the device is configured to aggregate B2 or B4 with n71 NSA... or you'll end up with either LTE only... or n71 SA.
    3. If you're in urban/suburban areas, also make sure that n41/B41 is active. In many places, this will give you much more performance speed wise than n71. Eg. 5G n71 NSA with B2/B4/B71 can deliver 300-450Mbps. 5G n41 + n71 NSA with B2/B4/B71 can deliver 500-750Mbps.
    Many of the newer low end 5G devices should be able to deliver much of this.
    If you get a device, and it isn't configured for T-Mobile's network properly ... you may have 5G service... but not very good performance.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    If it has n71 its odd it wouldn't have B71 LTE what Samsung phone is it?

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

What do people think?
    Need the model name and number. Tmobile csc may enable n71 SA & b71 lte. There ways to manually enable the bands as well if there is no csc file for the phone. Of course, the hardware needs to support it.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus Product Red
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Visible, Sprint
    Feedback Score

What do people think?
    I wouldn't get a phone without it, or n41. Where they have either deployed it really helps. Doesn't help when you're rural and there's no low band but it is what it is.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by landonloco07 View Post
    If it has n71 its odd it wouldn't have B71 LTE what Samsung phone is it?
    was looking at S20's from last year (any of the Galaxy or Note Variants, for example, look at the regular Note 20 listing from TechWalls). If you check the Factory Unlocked models, none have b71. For the US only T-Mobile and Sprint models do. (for the world, Canada, UK and Singapore/India/Japan (Exynos) do as well)

and yeah it is weird that they have n71, it's the same actual frequency band right? There probably is a way to soft unlock the LTE band, but maybe not without rooting.

there is a hint that the S21 Factory Unlocked models for the US this year may have b71, though we probably won't know for sure for a week or two. And actually it's looking like an international Exynos model of the S21 wouldn't be a downgrade this year.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus Product Red
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Visible, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    TechWalls shows no b71 but gsmarena does..

I have a factory unlocked Note 20 Ultra, bought from Samsung.com and it has b71.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    >If you check the Factory Unlocked models, none have b71. For the US only T-Mobile and Sprint models do.

TechWalls is wrong. B71 is baked into almost all factory unlocked phones intended for US market (and elsewhere) starting in 2019, and certainly in 2020.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryland View Post
    TechWalls shows no b71 but gsmarena does..

I have a factory unlocked Note 20 Ultra, bought from Samsung.com and it has b71.
    well, there ya go. reminder to not trust one source.

and of course now I found the official Samsung pages for variant specs (ex. S20 Ultra 5G)

Thanks!!

Edit: but after looking at the factory unlocked Note 20 Ultra 5G, this is where the confusion comes in, on Samsung's site, b71 is not listed. It's like no one gets it right.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I'd say even if it had turned out to have n71 but no b71, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Comments above are true, having both would be better, but for me the point of band 71/n71 is coverage, and n71 would still get you the coverage.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    I'd say even if it had turned out to have n71 but no b71, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Comments above are true, having both would be better, but for me the point of band 71/n71 is coverage, and n71 would still get you the coverage.
    only if the phone supports SA n71.

if NSA n71 + LTE anchor, won't help if there's no LTE signal

hard to say, the 5G phone specs published by each manufacturer are very muddy

Eg, iphones don't have SA right now in usa (i expect an update though)
    Last edited by paperwastage; 01-20-2021 at 05:37 PM.

Device(s)
    1+ 8T 5G, Galaxy S20 5G, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Since I live in an area where T-Mobile's only low-band is 600 MHz, I would not pay money for a phone without band-71. If I was given one, that would be different.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    In many rural areas, I wouldn't recommend having both B12 and B71. B12 is typically only 5x5 MHz, which is usable, but not a whole lot of capacity. B71 is either 5x5 or 10x10. It can be more if 5g n71 isn't deployed. Similarly, I've found B71 where n71 is too weak (too high modulation, I suspect), and there are currently more B12 devices than B71 , and more B71 devices than n71 devices

Sent from my IN2017 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    OnePlus 8, OnePlus 6T
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    If you get a device, and it isn't configured for T-Mobile's network properly ... you may have 5G service... but not very good performance.
    I'm still trying to decide if my OP8 Pro is configured correctly.

I've still only noticed NSA so far and even that only pops in on demand. e.g. it shows it's available on Cell Mapper, but doesn't actually connect to NR unless I run a speedtest or something else with high demand.

I also can't tell which band it's been using for NSA, but I suspect only n71.