Thread: Have you been charged for switching to an eSIM?

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+ & iPP 12.9”
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon & AT&T
    Feedback Score

Have you been charged for switching to an eSIM?

Last week my iPhone 12 Pro Max got unlocked from Verizon’s 60 day lock period. So I wanted to convert my physical SIM to eSIM. Since I was having issues with this, I called tech support (ended up live chat online) and resolved the issue. Then added my prepaid T-Mobile SIM in the physical slot.

Yesterday I received my new bill online and discovered they charged me $40 for activating a new device. WTF?

Called CS and the rep keep asking me if I got a new device or if I went to the store to activate it. Still waiting for the credit to be approved.

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work phone / T-Mobile (iPad) / Sprint (personal phone) / AT&T MVNO (for fun)!
    Feedback Score
    Verizon IT is really playing catch-up these days. The charge likely arose because the dual SIM phones are designed to have two IMEIs (one for the physical slot and one for the eSIM to use), else they couldn’t use both simultaneously. Their system doesn’t know the two IMEIs belong to the same device.

Verizon has programmed their systems to charge a fee, even if you bought a phone at full price, say from the Apple Store (how nice of them). So they seem to have it set iPhone that if they change the IMEI, that triggers the fee.

They should refund the fee, as you didn’t change the device. But given my own Verizon issues these days, you’re probably going to need to fight with them over it.

Just press that you wanted Verizon on the eSIM as you travel internationally. So it’s really just a new SIM for an existing device.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    They have to pay for that new spectrum somehow.

Just keep calling and they'll eventually remove it. I just cannot believe how bad Verizon CS/systems have gotten as of late. I had to call and fight with them over buying an iPhone 12 full retail at the apple store and it charging me a $40 upgrade fee... I did not even buy the phone from Verizon!
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    They have to pay for that new spectrum somehow.

Just keep calling and they'll eventually remove it. I just cannot believe how bad Verizon CS/systems have gotten as of late. I had to call and fight with them over buying an iPhone 12 full retail at the apple store and it charging me a $40 upgrade fee... I did not even buy the phone from Verizon!
    Curious— Did you buy the unlocked version or Verizon version at Apple?

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jpiszcz View Post
    Curious— Did you buy the unlocked version or Verizon version at Apple?
    I do not remember, but it was unlocked when I got it home. I use dual-SIM so I always buy at the apple store, and Verizon is the ONLY carrier that's tried to charge me an "upgrade fee" when activating the new one at home.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I am surprised Verizon Wireless is making the OP wait for an approval for a credit to be applied to his account. The only time I have heard of Verizon Wireless needing to approve a credit was for international roaming charges which Verizon ended up denying. Is Verizon cracking down on issuing credits now?

Device(s)
    Moto Z4 (Vzw), Moto Z Play (PP)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techguru30 View Post
    I am surprised Verizon Wireless is making the OP wait for an approval for a credit to be applied to his account. The only time I have heard of Verizon Wireless needing to approve a credit was for international roaming charges which Verizon ended up denying. Is Verizon cracking down on issuing credits now?
    I think it is pretty good that the OP is getting a refund/credit, even if they have to wait. My experience is that the activation fee can't be waved at all, anymore. So, the fact that there is some internal review process to get it waved, is a good thing.

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work phone / T-Mobile (iPad) / Sprint (personal phone) / AT&T MVNO (for fun)!
    Feedback Score
    Verizon reps cannot approve anything on their own these days -- EVERY credit request is subject to manager approval, and you will receive a text saying that the credit has been requested, and you'll get a follow-up text within 48 hours -- but that follow-up text will never come.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+ & iPP 12.9”
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I got the credit applied to my account two days after I called.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro, Pixel 5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tivoman View Post
    Last week my iPhone 12 Pro Max got unlocked from Verizon’s 60 day lock period. So I wanted to convert my physical SIM to eSIM. Since I was having issues with this, I called tech support (ended up live chat online) and resolved the issue. Then added my prepaid T-Mobile SIM in the physical slot.

Yesterday I received my new bill online and discovered they charged me $40 for activating a new device. WTF?

Called CS and the rep keep asking me if I got a new device or if I went to the store to activate it. Still waiting for the credit to be approved.
    There’s no fee for ESN changes aka what was done. Did they accidentally activate a new line? $40 is the activation fee for new lines or when buying new equipment from Verizon as an update IE upgrade fee. I’ve moved back and forth between E-Sim and the physical sim many times without an issue or fee.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+ & iPP 12.9”
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nicothetechguy View Post
    There’s no fee for ESN changes aka what was done. Did they accidentally activate a new line? $40 is the activation fee for new lines or when buying new equipment from Verizon as an update IE upgrade fee. I’ve moved back and forth between E-Sim and the physical sim many times without an issue or fee.
    No new device, just moving to an eSIM. It actually was two separate $20 charges that shows “point of sale equipment charge”.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro, Pixel 5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by tivoman View Post
    No new device, just moving to an eSIM. It actually was two separate $20 charges that shows “point of sale equipment charge”.
    That’s definitely not a valid charge. Your credit should be approved. Call in to check on the status

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+ & iPP 12.9”
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    That’s definitely not a valid charge. Your credit should be approved. Call in to check on the status
    Already got the credit applied to my account. It took about 48 hours from when I called.

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score

Though I should point out that activation fees can be charged for activating a new device/sim with the same number/line. Even if you own the device.

I’ve been charged an activation fee for ESN swaps in the past with Verizon and for phone upgrades both on Verizon and Metro.

Sent from my Tello iPhone using HoFo
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    What are folks' reasons (ASIDE from using dual-SIM) for moving to eSIM?

Has anyone performed a SIM->eSIM swap for added security (e.g., so incase your phone is stolen, nobody can just remove the SIM)?