Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prepaid with 5G UWB

Feedback Score

Prepaid with 5G UWB

$10 more than standard unlimited plan.

Verizon Prepaid | Prepaid Phones, Plans, & Hotspot Devices

Feedback Score
    Arrgh, they're sneaky!
    Who will go for that, considering the limited deployment...

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The mmWave-inclusive plan also has 10 GB of sub-7 GHz hotspot data included, so it’s still worth it outside of mmWave coverage areas if you ever need to tether.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    The mmWave-inclusive plan also has 10 GB of sub-7 GHz hotspot data included, so it’s still worth it outside of mmWave coverage areas if you ever need to tether.
    To be fair the regular unlimited plan has that as a $5 add on.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Good to know about a prepaid plan. I really need the most affordable unlocked device to test both T-Mobile and VZ so I can finally consolidate to a single cell provider. I found a cheap Nord N10 5G but I think even unlocked it will only do T-Mobile sub 6. Pixel 4a 5g, even if I get the VZ variant, will only do sub-6 on both networks.

VZ works at my workplace but has terrible LTE coverage at my home. T-Mobile is the reverse. People used to think I was up to no good because I always carried more than one phone.

Good luck with your search.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by saverdan View Post
    Good to know about a prepaid plan. I really need the most affordable unlocked device to test both T-Mobile and VZ so I can finally consolidate to a single cell provider.
    Sadly, there is nothing affordable right now for that wide selection you need to look at something like Samsung S20-S21 5G line-up or iPhone12.
    Samsung takes trades-in right now for it.
    Last edited by SoNic67; 01-25-2021 at 08:21 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    4a 5G works only with T-Mo and AT&T 5G. The 'UW' variant works only with VZW/Xfinity/Spectrum. They don't overlap. See chart in below link,
    Wrong. You can use to unlocked 4a 5G on Verion you just won't have access to UWB network and you could use the 4a 5G UW on at&t or T-Mobile

Feedback Score
    Looks like the cheaper phones, with "UW" branding, are specially designed for Verizon. So they probably have less radio hardware capabilities, to keep price down.

PS: Unlocked S21/21+/Ultra has: n2, n5, n12, n25, n41, n66, n71, n77, n260, n261, SA, NSA, Sub-6, mmWave

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Looks like the cheaper phones, with "UW" branding, are specially designed for Verizon. So they probably have less radio hardware capabilities, to keep price down.

PS: Unlocked S21/21+/Ultra has: n2, n5, n12, n25, n41, n66, n71, n77, n260, n261, SA, NSA, Sub-6, mmWave
    The UW phones are typically pricier not cheaper

Anyway Verizon uses n2, n5, n66, n260 and n261 and n77 covers C-band

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    >Pixel 4a 5g, even if I get the VZ variant, will only do sub-6 on both networks.

4a 5G works only with T-Mo and AT&T 5G. The 'UW' variant works only with VZW/Xfinity/Spectrum. They don't overlap. See chart in below link,

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/10082009

For 5G compatibility with all US carriers, you need Pixel 5. Or as SoNic67 said, Galaxy S20-21 series (not base S20) or iPhone 12 series. Galaxy 5G A-series are not VZW compatible except for 'UW' variants, which are not compatible with other carriers, as with Pixel 4a 5G UW above.

Put differently, VZW 5G certification requires UW support, which adds a substantial premium that only the flagships are willing to underwrite.

The situation will be clearer for this year's 5G crop, as 5G will be standard on many phones, and no separate '5G' SKUs. But AFAIK mmWave antenna modules are still not integrated with sub-6 antennas, and will still add significant costs that most factory-unlocked phones will not indulge in. So, if you want VZW 5G capability any time soon, either buy a VZW-branded phone, or fork out the bucks for a flagship.

Or, wait for 2022, and hope for integrated mmWave+sub6 antennas along with SD480 SoC to be available.
    I appreciate all the feedback. Out of the choices listed - the Pixel 5 is the right size for my daily driver - the only thing I don't like is losing a microphone jack but I have other devices with that capability.

Thanks!

Dan

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless(prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    So basically the unlocked S21 has all the bands that the Verizon version has? Because I had to order an unlocked S21 from Samsung. INstead of my normal Verizon version I purchased in the past from Samsung. SInce it would not let me check out with a prepaid Verizon account. With my Verizon S10 in 2019 and S8 in 2017 I purchased from Samsung, there was no requirement to log into my verizon account before checkout.
    And once I logged into my account, it said that I could not do it with a prepaid account.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
    So basically the unlocked S21 has all the bands that the Verizon version has? Because I had to order an unlocked S21 from Samsung. INstead of my normal Verizon version I purchased in the past from Samsung. SInce it would not let me check out with a prepaid Verizon account. With my Verizon S10 in 2019 and S8 in 2017 I purchased from Samsung, there was no requirement to log into my verizon account before checkout.
    And once I logged into my account, it said that I could not do it with a prepaid account.
    I you notice there isn't a UW version of the S21 series

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I you notice there isn't a UW version of the S21 series
    The specs showed mmWave and Sub-6. Isn't the Ultra Wide Band millimeter wave?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
    The specs showed mmWave and Sub-6. Isn't the Ultra Wide Band millimeter wave?
    yes and..? I didn't say the phones didn't have mmwave, I said there isn't a specific Verizon UW branded version. You had the S20 and the S20 UW for example. At&t and T-Mobile sold the S20, Verizon sold the S20 UW

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    yes and..? I didn't say the phones didn't have mmwave, I said there isn't a specific Verizon UW branded version. You had the S20 and the S20 UW for example. At&t and T-Mobile sold the S20, Verizon sold the S20 UW
    Yes. But with the S21, the 5G modem is integrated into the SoC. Unlike that S20 which was an add on. So the capability would need to be disabled for the user to not have access to it on the S21.

I won't have access to UWB on Verizon prepaid anyway. Since I'm not about to pay extra for me to be able to access it.

Sent from my Galaxy S21

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast