Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can AT&T Ever Be #1?

Feedback Score

Can AT&T Ever Be #1?

It seems that year after year Root Metrics rates Verizon as number-one. In you opinion, do you believe that it will ever be possible for AT&T to claim the number- one title on Root Metrics? With the introduction of FirstNet, I thought that it would be possible. It seems to me that T-Mobile is moving at a much faster pace than AT&T in the deployment of towers, cell sites, and network expansion.

AT&T advertising also doesn’t seem to be serious about acquiring new customers. While Verizon and T-Mobile ads aggressively promote how great their networks are, AT&T is still running cute advertising that doesn’t help to promote the advantages of their network.

Will AT&T ever be too dog?

Opinions please.
    Last edited by CellGeek; 01-20-2021 at 06:33 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    It seems that year after year Root Metrics rates Verizon as number-one. In you opinion, fo you believe that it will ever be possible for AT&T to claim the number- one title on Root Metrics? With the introduction of FirstNet, I thought that it would be possible. It seems to me that T-Mobile is moving at a much faster pace than AT&T in the deployment of towers, cell sites, and network expansion.

AT&T advertising also doesn’t seem to be serious about acquiring new customers. While Verizon and T-Mobile ads aggressively promote how great their networks are, AT&T is still running cute advertising that doesn’t help to promote the advantages of their network.

Will AT&T ever be too dog?
    Ever be top dog? Unlikely anytime soon. Someday maybe.

AT&T made a very bad business decision buying DirectTV for $50 billion. Now there is not much demand and no growth in satellite TV and they couldn't sell it for $15 billion when they tried.

They are under a mountain of debt.

Their corporate culture is not customer friendly.

They still have a better national network than T-Mobile.

Rootmetric scores don't mean much.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    When I worked for them in the early 2000's they were #1. I think when Verizon took that position away, the corporate attitude accepted the #2 position and focused on keeping their customers loyal to the brand. Not sure how well that worked, but at the time they maintained that position before Sprint and T-Mobile merged. I am not sure of the current #1 through #3 rankings today and I don't care now. It only matters that I have reliable service when and where I use my phone.
    Last edited by Serial Port; 01-20-2021 at 11:18 PM.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I've had AT&T for close to 14 years. Still works fine for me. Speeds and coverage have improved a lot. I've tried T-Mobile on a spare phone and they're decent in my area but no real compelling reason to switch. They still are behind by quite a bit in the Ozarks/St. Francois Mountains. Verizon doesn't cut it for rural coverage in my state (Missouri) and so far the Sprint network is only in the early stages of integration to T-Mobile.

That said, I've had the impression for several years that at RootMetrics it works like this: Verizon is automatic #1. Let's run some tests to see who gets the #2 spot this quarter.
    AT&T customer since 2007; Alltel 2004-07. Android user since 2014 and will never go back to Apple.
    I recommend and use CellMapper for testing and mapping signal coverage and have contributed extensively in the greater St. Louis region and surrounding states.

Feedback Score
    Why is this a point of concern?
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.04.21

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Why is this a point of concern?
    In my opinion, it seems that AT&T isn’t expanding at a rate needed to ensure that T-Mobile doesn’t surpass it in network deployment. AT&T may find itself in the number-three position if it isn’t careful.

Feedback Score
    Hard to know what drives mammoth companies the last few decades. At times they're concentrating on share prices (market cap) other times debt, expansion or other periphery businesses. So what average consumers want to see is hardly what the companies are doing.

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joelwnelson View Post
    I've had AT&T for close to 14 years. Still works fine for me. Speeds and coverage have improved a lot. I've tried T-Mobile on a spare phone and they're decent in my area but no real compelling reason to switch. They still are behind by quite a bit in the Ozarks/St. Francois Mountains. Verizon doesn't cut it for rural coverage in my state (Missouri) and so far the Sprint network is only in the early stages of integration to T-Mobile.

That said, I've had the impression for several years that at RootMetrics it works like this: Verizon is automatic #1. Let's run some tests to see who gets the #2 spot this quarter.
    In my own personal opinion the main reason vzw gets auto #1 status on root metrics is the perceived relationship between the two.

While many have argued that they are separate entities, and appear so on the surface, there just seems to be some closed door deal there. A lot of my friends also agree that this perception is there.

That and well lets just say if a carrier gives you test equipment and a list of “acceptable test locations” (actual gps coordinates) then if one were to follow such strict guidelines-then it will always give the impression of best network status. Especially if said carrier pays you to do these tests.

I’m still digging to see if there are any ties between any carriers and any test group-even if so vague as being owned by a different brand thats owned by said carrier. (Eg yahoo) So far, haven’t found much myself, but i also am limited in my abilities and resources at this time.

But like it has been said before: the ratings are essentially pointless and one should matter more finding a carrier that works well where they use it the most at a price point they are willing to pay. Main reason is if you really dig into how the ratings are done, it makes all three essentially comparable and all 3 technically get to be grade A carriers.

For instance you could save a bunch of money finding a network that works well in your area, then using one of their MVNOs. You just might not get a bunch of bells and whistles or extra features.

Sent from my Tello iPhone using HoFo
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro & 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    AT&T has the best network in my area in every metric. Has been for years. Speed, coverage, capacity, number of cell sites. Until there is an actual improvement with VZ's network or T-Mo pulling a rabbit out of a hat and having a real network around here, I'll stick with AT&T. I don't care really what they can and can't claim, because it doesn't matter. VZ claims they have the best network or most reliable, but around here its general garbage. Same for T-Mo. So clearly their claims don't really matter, at least for my area.
    Last edited by TWX; 01-21-2021 at 02:03 PM.
    Your results may vary. Network performance differs per user location.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TWX View Post
    AT&T has the best network in my area in every metric. Has been for years. Speed, coverage, capacity, number of cell sites. Until there is an actual improvement with VZ's network or T-Mo pulling a rabbit out of a hat and having a real network around here, I'll stick with AT&T. I don't care really what they can and can't claim, because it doesn't matter. VZ claims they have the best network or most reliable, but around here its general garbage. Same for T-Mo. So clearly their claims don't really matter, at least for my area.
    Where is your area?

Feedback Score
    Amen to that. Verizon is the only carrier that has good service inside my house. They get my money. As you say, AT&T is better in some places. T-Mobile is hit and miss garbage around here. Here is central Virginia.

AT&T will do ok as long as they don't get into a Sprint situation where they can't keep up. AT&T has a higher debt ratio compared to the other two, but they are still making a profit. Sprint went over ten years without making an annual profit which led to their demise.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Where is your area?
    Northeast Lower Michigan.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Amen to that. Verizon is the only carrier that has good service inside my house. They get my money. As you say, AT&T is better in some places. T-Mobile is hit and miss garbage around here. Here is central Virginia.

AT&T will do ok as long as they don't get into a Sprint situation where they can't keep up. AT&T has a higher debt ratio compared to the other two, but they are still making a profit. Sprint went over ten years without making an annual profit which led to their demise.
    exactly. Go with what carrier works best in your area and where you frequently travel. That's all that counts. All the rest of marketing on TV and etc is just noise.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Same here in Charlotte. AT&T is tops in every metric. Verizon used to be the best, but their network has declined significantly. 5G has helped their congestion a little bit, but the reliability has taken a big hit, even in LTE only mode. Frequent dropped calls and data stalls now. Wasn’t an issue before. Still extremely congested in a lot of places. I went to Biloxi, Mississippi and New Orleans a couple of weeks ago and Verizon was horrible in those areas as well. No service at the hotel in BIloxi and unusable data around town. Unusable data at the hotel in New Orleans and unreliable around town there as well. AT&T had no issues the entire trip. In my experience AT&T is the best in most areas now. Verizon still has an advantage in some of the Western states and in some larger cities like Houston, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, New York, etc., but AT&T dominates everywhere else.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    In my opinion, it seems that AT&T isn’t expanding at a rate needed to ensure that T-Mobile doesn’t surpass it in network deployment. AT&T may find itself in the number-three position if it isn’t careful.
    Well I can almost guarantee T-Mobile won’t surpass AT&T in Pennsylvania and Delaware in the next 5+ years. It would take a massive investment of new sites. So I’m good for awhile even if somehow T-Mobile beats them elsewhere.
    AT&T: 2003 (gophone) & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Cingular: 2003-2006
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2003 & 2011-2013

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast