Thread: AT&T MVNO FreeUP: You can get wifi calling on ANY phone with FreeUp App

Feedback Score

AT&T MVNO FreeUP: You can get wifi calling on ANY phone with FreeUp App

Hi, I have no relationship with FreeUp, just posting this as a courtesy.
    I'm an ex GoPhone customer. Was very frustrated that I could not make wifi calls on my Xiaomi phones and did not want to buy a phone from AT&T.
    I didn't switch FreeUp for this feature (it was to save money -- the cost is the same as Mint Mobile, and I'd switched from Mint because TMO towers aren't great in my area).
    anyhow, I was very pleased to realize I could stick the FreeUp sim in my unlocked phones and make wifi calls using the Android app.
    (The app isn't for making normal calls -- it's only if you need to make wifi calls or international calls, which are free).
    PS: If I shouldn't have posted this here, please just delete my post and accept my apologies.
    Wifi calling on non-branded phones is something I've wanted for a long time so I just thought I'd let others know.

Feedback Score
    Just to clarify: do Wifi calls count against the minutes allotment?

Thanks!

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Prepaidforever View Post
    Just to clarify: do Wifi calls count against the minutes allotment?

Thanks!
    According to their website, the FreeUP app doesn't use minutes. It would appear to be a VoIP solution like GV. I don't know if it interfaces to your normal number with freeup.
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current primary phone. No plans to upgrade plan to 5G.

Device(s)
    Flip phone, Samsung J3 on Tello
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, H2O, Page Plus, Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    What's important is how good are the callis. Like no breakups or distortion. GV, Textnow, GrooveIP work pretty good but still have cutouts and distortion occasionally. Also they don't work well with a connection under 1.5 megabit. I've been using all 3 for several years, and they are fine for getting voicemail messages and returning calls from people you don't know.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brasscupcakes View Post
    Hi, I have no relationship with FreeUp, just posting this as a courtesy.
    I'm an ex GoPhone customer. Was very frustrated that I could not make wifi calls on my Xiaomi phones and did not want to buy a phone from AT&T.
    I didn't switch FreeUp for this feature (it was to save money -- the cost is the same as Mint Mobile, and I'd switched from Mint because TMO towers aren't great in my area).
    anyhow, I was very pleased to realize I could stick the FreeUp sim in my unlocked phones and make wifi calls using the Android app.
    (The app isn't for making normal calls -- it's only if you need to make wifi calls or international calls, which are free).
    PS: If I shouldn't have posted this here, please just delete my post and accept my apologies.
    Wifi calling on non-branded phones is something I've wanted for a long time so I just thought I'd let others know.
    My friend also like Freeup since it’s the same price as mint with att signal. But why not just use google voice/hangouts with Freeup data?

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    This thread is not about AT&T Prepaid and is therefore in the wrong forum.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brasscupcakes View Post
    You should not have posted this here. I do not have the power to delete your post. I do not accept your apologies. You need to think about the appropriate forum before starting a thread in Howard Forums.