Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Will a Straight Talk iPhone work with Tracfone (Safelink)

Feedback Score

Will a Straight Talk iPhone work with Tracfone (Safelink)

I was wondering if a Straight Talk iPhone XR being sold by Walmart would work with my service. I知 currently on Safelink which I believe is through Tracfone. I知 using T-Mobile towers, though I could switch networks in my area.

Ideally I would like to get credit for using the service so the phone can eventually be unlocked. I知 currently using a Simple Mobile iPhone 7 which works fine but I was never able to get it rebranded and had to use a BYOD sim. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    the iphone should work, however, it may need to be unlocked before you can make the switch.

Feedback Score
    I thought straight talk requires 12 months of usage before unlocking like other Tracfone companies. My simple Mobile iPhone is not unlocked and I was able to put the tracfone sim into it with no problem. I was hoping it would be the same with Straight Talk.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 20 5G, Galaxy Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Sprint,
    Feedback Score
    Straight Talk will unlock it for non customers for a fee if the phone still checks their boxes. I believe the 12 month service still applies.

I was gonna ask why not just buy one unlocked but I see there is a price difference. So.... the option you have is is search online. Ebay, swappa, Facebook marketplace,..... and see if you can find someone selling an iPhone XR unlocked or have them unlock it for you before they send it. This way you can get that lower price for the phone. Sure used but aa long as you ask questions & get pictures you will be fine. Some people take care of their phones.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
    Helio Touch...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Sprint,
    Feedback Score
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPhon....m46890.l49292

Feedback Score
    1. Did you try contacting ST and asking? (Not that a CSR will tell the truth)
    2. Even Safelinks support page says to contact TF support for problems.
    3. Any TF company phone is unlocked to use on any other TF company.
    4. Did you try your iPhone 7 sim in the XR?

The rebranding for unlock in the future I don't know about. Never cared since I buy unlocked or cheaper throw aways.

Device(s)
    TF iPhone SE & 6S, Tracfone Samsung Luna Pro, LG Rebel 4, Fiesta 2
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I don't know for sure but I'm guessing the Straight Talk phone could be "rebranded" to Tracfone via support and then activated with TF's Safelink Wireless service with a transfer to the phone.

My friend uses a regular Tracfone iPhone SE for his Safelink Wireless service. He unlocked it after a year of Safelink Wireless and still uses it with Safelink Wireless. It uses Verizon towers.

You should confirm it with customer support. I'd do that with official TF support and Safelink Wireless. Of course can never be sure how accurate the info they give you is.
    https://support.safelinkwireless.com/

I should add that I've never rebranded a phone and then later unlocked it so I can't say for sure what will happen.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I know Verizon based Tracfone phones can rebranded really easily. I am not sure with the non-Verizon based Tracfone phones tho.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Sprint,
    Feedback Score
    Rebranding will not occur even when using an unlocked phone. That onlying occurs with certain major carriers. Rebranding only being the automatic download of the carriers' software. Never seen this occur on any phone from Straight talk. The most you can do is to download their app in the playstore to allow you to get into your account. They have other apps to. Visual Voicemail is something you lose of you even have that now. Either way there is no need to completely rebrand a phone in order for it to work on your intended service.

I do have Safelink. I been able to use several phones in it over the time I have had it. It will work with an u locked phone. Currently using an unlocked Note 9 with it. Before this I had a T-mobile LG stylo 2 (unlocked). Never has any rebranding occurred with any of the phones. Again that is something you only see with major carriers. Only issue you may run into is wifi calling. Unsure how this works with an Apple device but with safelink being under tracfone... Having androids I only needed to goto the 911 registration page for tracfone &....... use a T-Mobile sim card. Other sims I could never get it going but heard you can.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    You might not understand the rebranding with the Tracfone phones.

With Tracfone rebranding, you can switch between the Tracfone brands without unlocking the phone. I know people on here have used Tracfone, Total Wireless, and Straight Talk phones on PagePlus without unlocking the phone. I have took Total Wireless and Tracfone phones to Straight Talk, and Tracfone phone to Total Wireless without unlocking them.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Sprint,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    the iphone should work, however, it may need to be unlocked before you can make the switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    You might not understand the rebranding with the Tracfone phones.

With Tracfone rebranding, you can switch between the Tracfone brands without unlocking the phone. I know people on here have used Tracfone, Total Wireless, and Straight Talk phones on PagePlus without unlocking the phone. I have took Total Wireless and Tracfone phones to Straight Talk, and Tracfone phone to Total Wireless without unlocking them.
    This is also possible too. I know Safelink is under tracfone. I don't know the deal with Straight talk and others. I do know in those when you buy their phones there are usually some customizations. Now Straight Talks website states their unlock policy so there is a scenario where you will need to do it.

Rebranding is simply having another carrier's apps,logo, & settings on the device. This is what I assume he is referring to.

When you move to another carrier with a phone from another carrier you will lose some features from the source carrier. (I.e. T-Mobile video calling, Visual voicemail) So the source carrier's apps become useless bloatware.

On an unlocked phone you just need to change some settings to get that phone working on the target network. (APN settings) Tracefone though sends you a text message to help with that. Others have apps to help you with that. Sometimes just the sim card will do it. (Most of the time for me the sim itself was not enough. Needed APN settings to get MMS working. )

But.... he is also talking about iPhones. There is not much difference between an iPhone on one carrier & the same model on another other than settings. Oh and wallpapers.

Long story short.....

Once you unlock it or find an unlocked iPhone....

Sim card & settings for the target carrier is all you need.

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ninja_unmatched View Post
    Rebranding is simply having another carrier's apps,logo, & settings on the device. This is what I assume he is referring to.

When you move to another carrier with a phone from another carrier you will lose some features from the source carrier. (I.e. T-Mobile video calling, Visual voicemail) So the source carrier's apps become useless bloatware
    What we call "rebranding" in this Tracfone forum simply means using a phone branded by one TF brand (like StraightTalk) with another TF subsidiary (like TracFone). Nothing is changed in the phone.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Sprint,
    Feedback Score
    Well I never cared before to research tracfone... I see they own several companies. Alot actually. This being the case then yeah you likely can just use the phone wherever you want that tracfone owns...

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Is the XR markedly cheaper than the SE 2020?
    Seems like the new SE made the XR as obsolete as the old SE made the 5S.

That said, I'd just get the IMEI off the box on an XR, and see if TF will activate it with a $9.99 airtime card. Then take my newly activated XR to checkout.
    Tracfone rewards referral code CWLE-F20B gives 8,000 points to new rewards members at rewards.tracfone.com or in the Tracfone App.

Sign up for the TracFone rewards program here: https://www.tracfone.com/rewards

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taxmantoo View Post
    Is the XR markedly cheaper than the SE 2020?
    Seems like the new SE made the XR as obsolete as the old SE made the 5S.

That said, I'd just get the IMEI off the box on an XR, and see if TF will activate it with a $9.99 airtime card. Then take my newly activated XR to checkout.
    I would rather have the XR than another phone like my iPhone 7 since I would rather have a more modern phone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast