Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: multiple segment texts

Feedback Score

multiple segment texts

I have a Moto e4 on Tello. When I receive a multi segment text, often one of the segments is displayed on my phone out of order. Is this a Tello problem or a phone problem? It's not a big problem.

While on the subject, here is another curiosity. When displaying a multi segment text, sometimes the segments are preceded by the segment number and sometimes not.

Steve

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MiFi_online View Post
    I have a Moto e4 on Tello. When I receive a multi segment text, often one of the segments is displayed on my phone out of order. Is this a Tello problem or a phone problem? It's not a big problem.

While on the subject, here is another curiosity. When displaying a multi segment text, sometimes the segments are preceded by the segment number and sometimes not.

Steve
    This is actually a common occurrence with any carrier.

Ive had it happen before on Verizon and Metro.

It does happen on my Tello iPhone.

I think it’s because of how text messages in regular SMS is handled where it shows you the messages in the order they were received by the device.

Sometimes there can be a delay in part of the messages being received, so this is how they are shown.

RCS should fix this issue entirely since it uses the data connection and not the circuit switched connections. Also means RCS works over wifi when theres no cell signal.

Sent from my Tello iPhone using HoFo
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Feedback Score
    my understanding is an multi-segment text and how they end up on the other end is a matter of the device/service sending them and not the receiving device/service.

the sending side breaks up the long text into multiple shorter SMS and the receiving side is not aware at all they are related to the same message. if they are numbered its because the sending device/service numbered them.

with RCS or iMessage on both sides of the conversation this will all be history with the exception of messages between iPhone and Android users. maybe some day apple will adopt RCS

Feedback Score
    Hmmm the mystery continues. I asked about this problem on a forum unrelated to phones. There were 4 replies and none of them has seen received segments out of order.

I do think the senders send segment sequence numbers with the segments. I often see received segments with these segment numbers.

My phone/carrier (I suspect the carrier) never bothers to put the segments in the proper order, but sometimes, when it's in the mood, it will show the segment numbers.

Look at this received message. It was in the mood to show the sequence numbers, but it's never in the mood to get the order right.Name:  out_of_order_SMS.png
Views: 36
Size:  57.5 KB

Feedback Score
    I don't see the attachment. I'm not very familiar with this site.

Name:  out_of_order_SMS.png
Views: 35

Feedback Score
    Is it my Moto E4 that has the responsibility to sort the segments or is it Tello's responsibility. I want to know what web site to go to for answers. It's not a big problem, but I'm curious.

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score

multiple segment texts

Is it my Moto E4 that has the responsibility to sort the segments or is it Tello's responsibility. I want to know what web site to go to for answers. It's not a big problem, but I'm curious.
    You can ask Tello, but since they rely on Sprint's network, I believe it is a Sprint thing at this point in time.
    But as I said before ALL carriers prior to adopting RCS (which Sprint and MVNOs have yet to adopt) have had this issue in the past. Though VoLTE did help with this issue, so it may be moot since Tello is migrating everyone to T-Mobile soon.

Though I skipped ahead and rushed my own migration by ordering the gsm sim via the BYOD page.
    Last edited by jmac32here; 01-23-2021 at 02:32 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    But as I said before ALL carriers prior to adopting RCS (which Sprint and MVNOs have yet to adopt) have had this issue in the past.
    Okay. It's kind of weird though. When I send a long message it apparently segments it correctly and assigns the correct sequence numbers. I can see that when I send a long message to myself. I receive the message correctly but it is in segments. Each segment is preceded by the correct sequence number. Not surprisingly the segments are in the correct order.

My Moto E6 on Ting doesn't seem to have this problem. The entire message is displayed as sent. There are no segments.

By the way, this web site never fails to confuse me. I intended to reply without quoting but the only button I found was the "reply with quote". No problem, quoting is good.

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score

multiple segment texts

Might want to reread. I just edited the post to indicate that LTE/VoLTE helped mitigate the issue since it sends the messages faster and in order over the data network.

Old SMS, like what sprint uses, can confuse the order since it was sent via the voice network and cannot differentiate the order sent vs order received.

So the migration to T-Mobile for Tello customers may fix it.

If you are in an area with good T-Mobile coverage, can skip the wait for the migration on Tello by entering your active imei into the byod page. If your phone is compatible, it will let you order the gsm sim. Do it from the “bring your phone page” on your account and the sim should be free.

I just placed my order, waiting on the SIM.

Ting uses RCS so all messages are sent via the data connection. RCS also allows longer messages, like an actual chat app, so there’s no segments.

SMS will always have segments due to message length limits in the system.

Also sending a message to yourself on the same device doesn’t always send through the system and is done locally, so it’s easier for the device to differentiate the order.

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Also, I don’t have this issue when its iMessage to iMessage myself, since iMessage is more like RCS (RCS is copying iMessage) and sends over the data connection.

I’ve had this issue with every carrier I’ve used (and I’ve used all four and several MVNOs of all four) prior to my usage of Metro on VoLTE. Metro on VoLTE was the only carrier I’ve used where getting the messages in the correct order was guaranteed.

Sure the others could get them in order, but it was a toss up if they did.

(To note, I’ve not used any other carrier on VoLTE though, since I went from Metro to Tello.)

We are complaining about 2G tech in a 5G world.

Feedback Score
    That's some good info. It will take some time to digest it. I entered the IMEI on Ting and it said Sorry, this phone is not compatible with Ting

I went to Tello and clicked on "Want to replace SIM on Moto E4?". It asked for the activation code, and I stopped there because I didn't know what I was doing.

I've noticed that my phone doesn't have VOLTE provisioned. Can I change that or does that require the carrier?

Name:  info.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  47.0 KB

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score

multiple segment texts

That's some good info. It will take some time to digest it. I entered the IMEI on Ting and it said Sorry, this phone is not compatible with Ting

I went to Tello and clicked on "Want to replace SIM on Moto E4?". It asked for the activation code, and I stopped there because I didn't know what I was doing.

I've noticed that my phone doesn't have VOLTE provisioned. Can I change that or does that require the carrier?

Name:  info.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  47.0 KB
    Currently, the only way to “rush” migration to a GSM SIM on Tello is by using the Bring Your Phone link on the My Phone page or by upgrading/replacing your current phone.
    (This takes you to their BYOD page.)

However, the reason Ting gave you that message will be the same reason Tello will not offer a GSM SIM for it.
    (Tello will call it compatible as a CDMA replacement phone and offer a new CDMA/Sprint SIM)

The Sprint/Tello version of the Moto e4 does not have the proper firmware for VoLTE and therefore is not compatible with the new network.

Only way to migrate knowing this is buying an unlocked T-Mobile device or upgrading your phone through Tello with a device that shows GSM & VoLTE in its technology box.

Maria from Tello has confirmed that buying a new device will migrate you to the new network, which may explain how compatible devices on active accounts can be migrated through the BYOD page. (Like my iPhone SE from Tello)

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Name:  out_of_order_SMS.png
Views: 36

I'd be awfully hesitant to open any links in such texts... esp those shortened types.

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    I'd be awfully hesitant to open any links in such texts... esp those shortened types.
    That shortURL is strictly from InstaCart.

Feedback Score
    I don't have anything important on my phones. I just use them for voice and texts.

I think my phone did get hacked via instacart a few months ago. It wasn't from clicking on that link. I had the usual text dialog with my shopper including telling me when my order was ready for pickup. When I got to the store, I picked up my phone to click on that link. It wasn't there. None of my texts were there. Maybe my contacts were missing too. When I got home, I rebooted the phone and everything came back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast