Thread: Tracfone: Which is the better Smartphone

Feedback Score

Tracfone: Which is the better Smartphone

Hi All,

Looking to upgrade from a Samsung Galaxy J7 Sky Pro that I've had for 4ish years. Prior Tracfones were LGs. Which of these 2 phones (or do you recommend another one) is the better phone to purchase (one for me, one for DH)? Definitly want more Ram and memory than the J7 Sky.

1) Samsung Galaxy A20 6.4" ($130)
    2) Motorola Moto G7 Optima Maxx 6.2" ($175)

They both have many of the same specs from what I can see including camera. Which one is more solid and robust? Which one has better sound with and without speakerphone? Both will be from HSN and come with 1500 mins/text/data.

I've never had a Motorola so I'm not familar with the brand. We use our phones a lot for mostly text, talk and data is free from home so...and cheap enough to buy more data.

I prefer not to spend $175 but will if it's worth it. Your thoughts on these, another current phone referral to check out, or wait it out to check out 2021 models. We generally keep our Tracfones for 4-5 years or so before upgrading. We prefer CDMA/Verizon. Any other info you need to know?

Thanks in advance.

D

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I just checked HSN's site. You can get the Moto G Power cheaper, and it is newer G7 Optimo Maxx. They have it listed as Moto G tho.

Another model to look at is the Samsung A11 too.

I have heard there is slowness issues with the A21, but since I do not have one, I do not know if it is true tho. I am waiting for a reply from someone that got had an A21 to find out why did not like it tho.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I second the Moto G power. I think it's $120 now from hsn now. 4 GB ram, 64 GB storage, 1080 screen resolution, 5000mAh battery and Android 10.

Feedback Score

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    I'll 3rd the new G Power, and have the G7
    Newer and improved over the G7 Power (optimization Max).

I got the G7 Power a few months ago for ~$50 (no airtime), and only because us was less that half the price if the newer model.

$175 is way too much for it though.

Feedback Score
    Anyone know if the Moto G Power will hook up to Android auto like my Samsung does? While reading reviews for this phone, someone said it doesn't.

Also, is the sound good and clear overall?

Can apps be moved to SD card (I know all apps can't), but I do like putting them on SD card if possible.

Thanks.

-D

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Most Motorola phones are near to pure Android, and I would thought since Android Auto is an Android feature, the Motorola phones should support it.

I did find this about Android Auto tho: https://support.google.com/androidau...49061726?hl=en

I am not sure on moving apps from the internal storage tho, but I know with the larger storage phones does not really need this yet.

Feedback Score
    Found this in case anyone else wants to know, regarding moving apps to SD storage.

You can set the camera to store all new photos and videos on the SD card.
    You cannot store apps on the SD card because it is portable storage. If needed, you can free up space on your phone.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I think Motorola supports adoptable storage tho: https://source.android.com/devices/storage/adoptable

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by djkkk View Post
    Can apps be moved to SD card (I know all apps can't), but I do like putting them on SD card if possible.
    That hasn't been possible for several versions of Android (since like 5.0), though Samsung may have kept some old functionality longer than Google officially supported it (they did with other stuff Google depreciated).

As mentioned adoptable storage is the Google solution. But that defaults to the would whole SD card, and then you can read anything on it in another phone or with a card reader.

There is a way to split the card and use part as adopted and part as portable, but it takes a computer, advanced, and a command line. I haven't tried on my Moto G7 Power, but it worked on a Moto E4.
    Last edited by ST Dog; 01-23-2021 at 09:46 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    That hasn't been possible for several versions of Android (since like 5.0), though Samsung may have kept some old functionality longer than Google officially supported it (they did with other stuff Google depreciated).

As mentioned adoptable storage is the Google solution. But that defaults to the would whole SD card, and then you can read anything on it in another phone or with a card reader.

There is a way to split the card and use part as adopted and part as portable, but it take a computer, advanced, and a command line. I haven't tried on my Moto G7 Power, but it worked on a Moto E4.
    Yea, I know Samsung even kept Miracast too. While Google dropped Miracast in Android 6.0, but if you have a rooted device, you could enable it via a config file.

Then Samsung disabled adoptable storage, but kept the other way enabled. I know there was talk that Samsung was going to enable adoptable storage, but I have not seen anything about it in the firmware tho.

I know there might be other things, but I knew about those two the most.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    Yea, I know Samsung even kept Miracast too.
    Sony kept the move to SD for a while too, but drooped it on most newer devices. But some that were upgraded to 8.0 still have it, but not if it was release with 8.0 (as I understand it). Not sure about LG or others.

Motorola has been basically stock for a while (at least the Moto G5/E4) so no deviation from official Google specs.

And of course the Pixel line won't deviate.

Much like Miracast, best to just move on. At some point the stuff will go away. (I actually used Miracast).the existing code will stop working and it'll be too much work to get it working. Or Google may even get pushy and require the changes for certification.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I hope Samsung does not change it because I use Miracast lots since I use the Rokus as my Miracast device. Switching devices might take me a while since I use it at friend's places too.

That is kinda why I did not stick with the Moto G7 Optimo Maxx that long even tho I do like it. Luckily I did not spend that much on the Moto G7 Optimo Maxx because I found it on clearance a few months after it was released.

Feedback Score
    Samsung.

All personal taste though.

I have had most of the brands. I found Samsung to be the best for me.

Have the J7 Crown now. No longer offered/sold. Has Android 9.

But all have their personal preferences.