Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your port-out experiences

Feedback Score

Your port-out experiences

How have anyones' port-out experiences been? Any major or minor frustrations or easiness when porting a number OUT from US Mobile, or H2O Wireless, or Tello, or Mint; or others?

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus, Tello, T-Mobile, TRU SIM, Liberty Wrls.
    Feedback Score
    Tello: Easy to port in and out. From the Dashboard, go to My Phone page. No PIN needed -- just supply "0000".

Feedback Score
    Sprint: No problems.

Pure Talk USA: Default PIN is 000. (Which sucks for security. Anyone could have stolen my number anytime.) No other issues.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    How have anyones' port-out experiences been? Any major or minor frustrations or easiness when porting a number OUT from US Mobile, or H2O Wireless, or Tello, or Mint; or others?
    done through dealer portal at stores. ports from Mint and Tello usually complete in under a minute. H2O can be complicated and often require the customer calls and request the number be released and than often takes 10 or 15 minutes. 10 or 15 minutes may not seem like long but over 90% of the ports at retail stores are from boost, cricket, metro or the big carriers and usually complete in a few seconds. i have often seem them complete in under 10 seconds. seems they always take longer on weekends(maybe 1 to 2 minutes average). US Mobile i have no experience porting from.

in my experience it makes virtually no difference who the port is going too its all about where it comes from.

port delays that have been the most common and consistently take the most effort to fix have mostly been from these companies: h2o wireless, red pocket and the various tracfone brands. it does seem though that the tracfone ones are going through smoother and faster lately(over the last year or so) if you want to scare a rep. at a store say 'port from redpocket' i have had a couple over the years that for whatever reason old phone got cut off port didn't complete on new phone and took close to week to get everything fixed. i know stores that just flat out refuse any ports from redpocket(and some may do the same for h2o, although in my experience h20 also complete fine once h2o is contacted by the customer the port release requested) also VOIP/landline such as from free texting apps can be troublesome and possibly takes days to complete.

Feedback Score
    one bit of advice. if you are porting from a smaller lesser known MVNO contact them first and it may even help if you are able to provide contact information to the new company. sometimes the customer service reps, etc. who are helping even ones who only dealing with porting issues have never heard of the company and are unsure how to contact them to assist.

Feedback Score
    I've read too many users' port out horror stories. Sometimes it's a number stuck in limbo and other times it's the MNVO folding and being bought out by another MVNO. Sometimes you just want to jump ship and go to another MVNO so you can save a few more dollars. And some MVNO's make it so difficult to port out... not providing an account number or pin that's accessible online.

So last year I finally pulled the trigger and ported to GV to avoid all those fears of losing a number you've had for the last 20 years. And now I'm free to hop aboard whichever MVNO has attractive plans without worrying about account numbers and pins.

If GV doesn't work out for you, it's very easy to port out. The downside for me is the GV app's SMS part needs major improvement. But the best part is being able to have multiple phones assigned to your GV number. No need to constantly swap your sim in and out.

Sent from my SM-F916U1 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    This is really a separate topic but I wish I could understand THIS better:
    Quote Originally Posted by munkala View Post

So last year I finally pulled the trigger and ported to GV to avoid all those fears of losing a number you've had for the last 20 years. And now I'm free to hop aboard whichever MVNO has attractive plans without worrying about account numbers and pins.

If GV doesn't work out for you, it's very easy to port out. The downside for me is the GV app's SMS part needs major improvement. But the best part is being able to have multiple phones assigned to your GV number. No need to constantly swap your sim in and out.

I have NO experience with Google Voice.

Feedback Score
    Making Some Topic Progress --

The main reason I asked the question is that I might like to take a newly assigned number to more than one carrier as I try to check how each of the chosen carriers is for its service; I would like to reuse the same phone line number and not activate for a separate, new number on each carrier in sequence. Hopes of the question are to learn what the obstacles may be.

Yah, I would like to have the port-out details for any current carrier FIRST, but current carrier maybe does not provide them too easily.

Feedback Score
    This is really a separate topic but I wish I could understand THIS better:

I have NO experience with Google Voice.
    GV is basically just a phone number given to you free by Google or just port-in your existing mobile number. This phone number works anywhere you have an internet connection. You can make and receive calls with your computer browser or your smartphone app.

After you port your number to GV, get any new number from any carrier or MVNO. Set the GV app to forward all your calls to this new number.

There are quite a lot of tutorials on YouTube on this subject.

Feedback Score
    Making Some Topic Progress --

The main reason I asked the question is that I might like to take a newly assigned number to more than one carrier as I try to check how each of the chosen carriers is for its service; I would like to reuse the same phone line number and not activate for a separate, new number on each carrier in sequence. Hopes of the question are to learn what the obstacles may be.

Yah, I would like to have the port-out details for any current carrier FIRST, but current carrier maybe does not provide them too easily.
    working at retail stores assisting with ports obtain the necessary details has never been a difficulty. typically only requires a quick call to the existing carriers support dept.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    working at retail stores assisting with ports obtain the necessary details has never been a difficulty. typically only requires a quick call to the existing carriers support dept.
    I am not currently using any main carrier - I am using one of the mobile virtual network operations companies. I do not have a retail name brand store to go to.

Feedback Score
    I am not currently using any main carrier - I am using one of the mobile virtual network operations companies. I do not have a retail name brand store to go to.
    no matter which MVNO you are with you should be able to dial 611 and obtain the necessary account number and pin. that part should never be the difficult part. what sometimes is the issue is if the number is not released right away and you need to contact to request it be released. expect that if needed to be the bigger hassle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    no matter which MVNO you are with you should be able to dial 611 and obtain the necessary account number and pin. that part should never be the difficult part. what sometimes is the issue is if the number is not released right away and you need to contact to request it be released. expect that if needed to be the bigger hassle.
    I MUST remember that! I did not imagine that simple advice to be useful for that information.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Lycamobile, Sprint, Tello, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    I have ported into and out of both H2O and Mint and they are very similar in that both are very easy and amazingly fast to port in and highly annoying to port out of.

In both port outs you have to call and endure first a grueling interrogation to verify that you are the account owner both preceded and followed by a very long wait on hold. The next phase is an interview or quiz on why you are porting out. You have to run these gauntlets to get your account and PIN and have the number released.

I won't be using either if I can avoid them and there is plenty of competition.

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus, Tello, T-Mobile, TRU SIM, Liberty Wrls.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertabrae View Post
    I have ported into and out of both H2O and Mint and they are very similar in that both are very easy and amazingly fast to port in and highly annoying to port out of.

In both port outs you have to call and endure first a grueling interrogation to verify that you are the account owner both preceded and followed by a very long wait on hold. The next phase is an interview or quiz on why you are porting out. You have to run these gauntlets to get your account and PIN and have the number released.
    Tello used to require a phone conversation to state the reason for leaving but has sensibly changed to a simple checkbox form in the port-out info request. I suspect that Tello realized that there are many locales where T-Mobile provides lesser coverage that Sprint did, therefore, why impose a hurdle and waste C.S. reps' time?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast