Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Verizon vs Spectrum

Feedback Score

Verizon vs Spectrum

My boss is looking at Spectrum as an option. He is currently on Verizon on a plan with his girl friend and a few others and is going to move to a new account under the business. His biggest concern is service/reception when he's in the middle of nowhere hunting. He gets service when people on TM or ATT can't.

Spectrum claims to have the same exact service as Verizon, Verizon claims that their customers are prioritized and others like Spectrum and Visible are further down the list. Can anyone clarify if Spectrum would be worse in areas of heavy congestion or weak service areas?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wrkalot View Post
    My boss is looking at Spectrum as an option. He is currently on Verizon on a plan with his girl friend and a few others and is going to move to a new account under the business. His biggest concern is service/reception when he's in the middle of nowhere hunting. He gets service when people on TM or ATT can't.

Spectrum claims to have the same exact service as Verizon, Verizon claims that their customers are prioritized and others like Spectrum and Visible are further down the list. Can anyone clarify if Spectrum would be worse in areas of heavy congestion or weak service areas?
    Well my biggest thing is spectrums “unlimited” plan is 22GB and then it’s ALWAYS SLOWED to 0.90 mbps. That’s not unlimited and very misleading. Verizon‘s post paid unlimited plans only slow down after your plan allowance during congestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Data isn't really a concern for most of the phones that will be on the account. I use less than 1gig a month for example. Spectrum's $14 month plan is attractive.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Where I live here in SoCal I’ve been hearing radio ads from Spectrum where they are directly going after and poaching Verizon customers.

I know they are a Verizon wholesale customer but that’s got to piss off corporate.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fgpalm View Post
    Well my biggest thing is spectrums “unlimited” plan is 22GB and then it’s ALWAYS SLOWED to 0.90 mbps. That’s not unlimited and very misleading.
    It's misleading only because you assumed that "data" means "high speed data".
    1Mbps is still plenty for navigation, streaming music...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    It's misleading only because you assumed that "data" means "high speed data".
    1Mbps is still plenty for navigation, streaming music...
    It’s not what I assume… It’s what the general public who is uninformed assumes

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well my biggest thing is spectrums “unlimited” plan is 22GB and then it’s ALWAYS SLOWED to 0.90 mbps. That’s not unlimited and very misleading. Verizon‘s post paid unlimited plans only slow down after your plan allowance during congestion.

The soft cap on Spectrum Mobile's unlimited plan is 20GB and on their Unlimited Plus plan it is 30GB. I have only hit the cap once and the service was still useable but it was noticeably slower. I would recommend Spectrum Mobile over Verizon Wireless since the pricing is cheaper and you still have access to the Verizon Wireless towers.

Feedback Score
    Technically it's unlimited because you are not charge once you go over nor is your service stopped. If Verizon's hotspot can be called unlimited at 600 kbps then non hotspot is unlimited at 1 Mbps

Where are you getting 22 GB from? It's 20 GB on the $45 plan and 30 GB on the $55 plan. If it's an issue go with Verizon prepaid or Visible or any of the other MNVOs that use Verizon's network

Feedback Score
    The other thing to consider is roaming. I'm not sure if Spectrum has the same roaming agreements as brand name Verizon. Not saying they don't, but I'd check. In my area, there's a large area that is only covered by roaming agreemenst.

Feedback Score
    here's some more info about spectrum - https://clark.com/technology/charter...phone-service/

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I looked at Spectrums map, looked at one of the Verizon maps that shows Verizon native (dark red) and extended network (light pink) (Verizon postpaid gets access to both, some MVNOs are Verizon native only and some include the roaming). It looks like Spectrum includes the roaming (the spectrum map shows "no coverage" in one area of Montana along Canadian border that shows roaming on Verizon... don't know if that's a mistake, or if that one carrier is just enough costlier that Spectrum said "no thanks".. but it looked like the "light pink" is covered on Spectrum's map everywhere else.). So, you should get exactly the same coverage on Spectrum vs. Verizon, since you'll have both native and "extended network".

As for speed? I think it's possible for an MVNO to have full Verizon priority, but they pay more for it, otherwise they're probably at the lower MVNO priority. I don't know which they have. The price seems too good for full-priority, but ...

Do you get below like 6-10mbps service in your area? Verizon's deprio is mainly to maintain that 6-12mbps speed. If you don't see below 10mbps or so speeds, you will probably not be affected by deprio anyway. When I tested with a "deprioritized over 22GB" line and one that wasn't, speed tests side-by-side, if the non-deprio line got 12+mbps, so did the derpio'ed line, they'd get virtually identical speeds.. 10mbps non-deprio got about 8mbps on the deprio'ed.. by the time the normal line was 6mps, the deprio got about 3mbps... by the time the non-deprio was down to 3mbps the deprio did about 1mbps, below 3mbps the deprio line got troublingly slow.

Based on my personal experience, I would not sweat at all having a deprio'ed line, I only got to test these slower speeds (last year, pre-Covid) when basketball and football games were bringing like 80,000 extra people into town. If you see sluggish speeds in your area (.. with a decent signal, slow speed in some basement or something with "0 bar" signal doesn't count..), deprio could be bad, otherwise probably no affect at all.

Feedback Score
    In case some don't know Spectrum Internet required to get wireless.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.04.21

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    In case some don't know Spectrum Internet required to get wireless.
    Initially yes, but if you leave Spectrum afterwards it $20 a month extra. Spectrum might be ok if you have Spectrum internet and plan to keep it. Also taxes and fees are included.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techguru30 View Post
    The soft cap on Spectrum Mobile's unlimited plan is 20GB and on their Unlimited Plus plan it is 30GB. I have only hit the cap once and the service was still useable but it was noticeably slower. I would recommend Spectrum Mobile over Verizon Wireless since the pricing is cheaper and you still have access to the Verizon Wireless towers.
    I wouldnt call 0.90 mbps a “soft” cap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    i tried spectrum mobile the data is throttled down as i was getting faster speeds in LTE with verizon. you need spectrum internet also if you cancel that the bill climbs up 20 bucks if you cancel it. spectrum phones do not roam on extended networks where verizon has roaming agreements with other carriers. i also found the CSR'S to be pretty clueless as well.. spectrum phones are locked to them as well and they won't unlock em until there paid off..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast