Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Will any of the Nokia KaiOS phones work on Tello?

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score

Will any of the Nokia KaiOS phones work on Tello?

I don't want an iPhone or Android. Does anyone know if the Google stuff can be rooted out of a KaiOS phone? Still using my Blackberry Q10 on Twigby, but I know that will probably come to an end soon.
    Blackberry Q10 on TwigbyNokia 6300 4G on Tello & H2O

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
    I don't want an iPhone or Android. Does anyone know if the Google stuff can be rooted out of a KaiOS phone? Still using my Blackberry Q10 on Twigby, but I know that will probably come to an end soon.
    did find this here - https://apn.gishan.net/en/apn/tello/nokia-8110-4g

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score

Will any of the Nokia KaiOS phones work on Tello?

Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    This references the old Sprint APN settings, but does confirm the device is no longer compatible with Tello since they are now activating devices onto T-mobile.

If in doubt, use the BYOD page on Tellos site.

Should note, Tello is now only capable of activating devices with LTE bands 2, 4, and 12 minimum that also support VoLTE. If the phones dont have those bands and volte, they will not work.

If you go anywhere rural, you should also have phones with bands 66 and most importantly, 71.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    If in doubt, use the BYOD page on Tellos site.
    Except that's a Catch-22 situation. I need to know if the phone works before buying it and I can't see if it works until I buy it.

Shouldn't there be a list somewhere?

Technically this phone will work on T-Mobile, but I had a nephew who bought a Linux phone (for another carrier) that worked fine when he put in the SIM card, but then stopped working a while later, and he got his account temporarily suspended because that phone "wasn't supported." This was Cricket. I do think he moved it over to a T-Mobile account and it is currently working (but not — as yet — with his old number and for how long?). I remember when, on GSM networks, that you were able to pop in the SIM and if the phone was unlocked and worked, you were good to go. It's almost like they're trying to force you into Android or iOS.

Feedback Score
    Except that's a Catch-22 situation. I need to know if the phone works before buying it and I can't see if it works until I buy it.

Shouldn't there be a list somewhere?

Technically this phone will work on T-Mobile, but I had a nephew who bought a Linux phone (for another carrier) that worked fine when he put in the SIM card, but then stopped working a while later, and he got his account temporarily suspended because that phone "wasn't supported." This was Cricket. I do think he moved it over to a T-Mobile account and it is currently working (but not — as yet — with his old number and for how long?). I remember when, on GSM networks, that you were able to pop in the SIM and if the phone was unlocked and worked, you were good to go. It's almost like they're trying to force you into Android or iOS.
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...n-January-2021

just note that some phones will explicitly not work on T-mobile, not sure why (see thread, not specifically due to <lack-of>VoLTE.

no sign whether it's just a softblock (tmobile just keeps sending you texts asking you to upgrade, or whether the network will block you from connecting even if you get a signal)

Feedback Score
    As far as I know none of Nokia's KaiOS phone supports T-Mobile VoLTE. While you can use T-Mobile 2G/3G for voice and text, your experience will not be good (and the coverage/reception too).

For T-Mobile/Telo 3G for voice/text your phone must have 3G Band 4 (1700 MHz) but I am not aware if any KiaOS phone that has 3G Band 4. It means, your voice calls will be limited to 2G which is definitely not good.

Update: it looks like there is one Nokia "bar" phone that works with T-Mobile VoLTE: https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_us/nokia-225-4g but it does not have LTE bands 66 and 71. Still you should be OK if you do not live in NYS and other very dense areas.
    The problem is that it is not KaiOS phone. AT least, I was not able to find any info about OS of this phone.

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    As far as I know none of Nokia's KaiOS phone supports T-Mobile VoLTE. While you can use T-Mobile 2G/3G for voice and text, your experience will not be good (and the coverage/reception too).

For T-Mobile/Telo 3G for voice/text your phone must have 3G Band 4 (1700 MHz) but I am not aware if any KiaOS phone that has 3G Band 4. It means, your voice calls will be limited to 2G which is definitely not good.

Update: it looks like there is one Nokia "bar" phone that works with T-Mobile VoLTE: https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_us/nokia-225-4g but it does not have LTE bands 66 and 71. Still you should be OK if you do not live in NYS and other very dense areas.
    The problem is that it is not KaiOS phone. AT least, I was not able to find any info about OS of this phone.
    Again, if you dont have the device. Check the tech specs. It has to have lte bands 2, 4, and 12 - and support VoLTE to work on T-Mobile or any T-Mobile mvno.

You can live without bands 66/71 unless you go anywhere rural.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    rcentros,

I have the European version of the Nokia 8110 and the Nokia 2720. They are pretty much the same phone except the 8110 is a "bar" style phone and the 2720 is a flip phone. Both run KaiOS 2.5.x. I don't think you can remove Google Assistant or Google from the phone.

Neither have WiFi calling. Both have hotspot capability. Since both are European, the have limited LTE bands. Here are the network specs from gsmarena:

8110 2g - GSM 900 / 1800
    2720 2g - GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    both 3g - HSDPA 850 / 900 / 2100
    both LTE - 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20

I use the Nokia 2720 with a RedPocket GSMA sim card. I get H+ for data speeds.

You ask about Nokia KaiOS phones in your original post. Alcatel also makes a KaiOS flip phone for AT&T, T-mobile and Verizon. ONLY the T-mobile (4052W) version can do WiFi calling AND has the mobile hotspot feature.

Eric

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    recentros,

Here are the network specs for the Alcatel Go Flip 3 (4052w) from GSM arena:

NETWORK Technology
    GSM / CDMA / HSPA / LTE
    2G bands GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    CDMA 800 / 1900
    3G bands HSDPA 850 / 1700(AWS) / 1900
    4G bands 2, 4, 5, 12, 25, 26, 41, 66, 71
    Speed HSPA, LTE

I have this phone with a T-mobile prepaid sim and WiFi calling does work. You can pick one up on eBay for about $40 mint condition.

Eric

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    Somehow I got it in my head that the Nokia 225 4G was KaiOS. It turns out it's S-30 instead.

Looks like there's one KaiOS phone that works on T-Mobile, the Alcael Go Flip 3. It's a flip phone but it's VoLTE and supports all the bands mentioned, including 66 and 71. That might be the direction I go. It also has a Hot Spot feature, which was something else I was looking for.

https://us.alcatelmobile.com/alcatel-go-flip-3/

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking about, but it turns out it was S-30, not KaiOS. I don't know how I got it in my head it was KaiOS.

Feedback Score
    Alcael Go Flip 3 has very bad feedbacks (battery drain, missed calls, very slow). I bought to my elderly neighbor this one https://us.nuumobile.com/f4l-flip-phone/ and she is happy with it.

It is not KaiOS (or, may be, KaiOS but it does not have store), but it has Whatsapp. It supports VoLTE, but does not have Bands 71 (not critical in my area, I have very good reception with Bands 2,4,12).

The problem with this phone is that it does not support Europe/World bands while Nokia 225 4G can be used in Europe/Asia/Middle East: it has almost every band except LTE Band 20.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    RFK,

I've got the Alcatel Go Flip 3, bought it used from eBay for $40. It's a decent phone for the price. Battery lasts a couple days sitting on the desk. Call quality is good plus it's got WiFi calling and mobile hotspot. I read reviews with a grain of salt: this is a $40 flip phone, not a $700 iphone. Alcatel has been around for a while and a recognized name.

The Nuu phone you mention sounds interesting, but I have not heard of it before? It looks like it has similar specs to the Alcatel Go Flip 3 concerning network bands and battery size.

I don't think you'll find an "inexpensive" phone that has US and European bands.

I took a look at the Nokia 225 4g. Maybe I'm missing something but it looks like there are three variants: European (rest of world), Americas, India/China. LTE bands don't overlap, so if you buy the Americas version, it DOES NOT have the European LTE bands.

Eric

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    You can live without bands 66/71 unless you go anywhere rural.
    I currently live in Idaho, so rural support is fairly important. Not sure, exactly, how much good it will do up here, however.

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    Looks like the Go Flip 3 will work. It supports VoLTE, supports all the bands (including the rural ones, 6? and 71), has the Hot Spot feature and and now supports the KaiOS store. (I saw there was ePub reader there, so I would probably download that). Looks like, used, they go for about $50, including shipping. (Also has WiFi calling.)

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    Alcael Go Flip 3 has very bad feedbacks (battery drain, missed calls, very slow). I bought to my elderly neighbor this one https://us.nuumobile.com/f4l-flip-phone/ and she is happy with it.
    Yeah, I've seen some of those reviews... a lot of times they review the "phone" according to their buying experience. One recurring theme, however, seems to be it needs to be rebooted regularly (but that could have been earlier versions).

It is not KaiOS (or, may be, KaiOS but it does not have store), but it has Whatsapp. It supports VoLTE, but does not have Bands 71 (not critical in my area, I have very good reception with Bands 2,4,12).
    It's KaiOS 2.5 now and now does support the store (according to this link https://www.kaiostech.com/devices/alcatel-go-flip-3/ and a review I saw on YouTube). As for Whatsapp, FaceBook, Twitter, etc., I don't use them but it looks like they're installable if you do. The main reason I don't go with a feature phone is that I want email, (sometimes) navigation, and (sometimes) music — and text and talk (if the eReader is decent, that might not be bad either). Oh, and the Hot Spot, that way I can buy books on the road and install them on my eReader.

https://www.kaiostech.com/devices/alcatel-go-flip-3/The problem with this phone is that it does not support Europe/World bands while Nokia 225 4G can be used in Europe/Asia/Middle East: it has almost every band except LTE Band 20.
    I've never traveled out side the U.S., so this is not an issue for me.

Thanks. I think I'll get one of these.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast