Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Will any of the Nokia KaiOS phones work on Tello?

Feedback Score
    Just picked up a Nokia 6300 4G for my Truphone line. Interesting to see all the useful functions on it, like hotspot, GPS, and YouTube. If someone ever developed a Signal app for it instead of WhatsApp, I could actually use this thing as my daily driver.

Feedback Score
    In case anyone is curious, my new Nokia 6300 4G shows LTE at the top with my Truphone SIM, but it switches to HSPA during calls. Definitely not set up to use VoLTE on AT&T, which if I'm not mistaken is Truphone's primary carrier in the USA.

Sent from my LM-K920 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular, FreeUP Mobile, FreedomPop; Formerly Truphone, Google Fi, T-Mo Prepaid Gold Reward
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fv22652 View Post
    rcentros,

I've got a couple of the newer Nokia phones (8110 and 2720). I also purchased the 6300 last week. It's a nice phone for the price. The things I like are it's dual sim; it has VoWifi and VoLTE; it has hotspot capability; it's a good, basic phone, which very few companies make these days.

You can uninstall the facebook and whatsapp apps but there are several games that you cannot uninstall. Kind of a pain, but not a problem.

Eric
    Does it receive data over WiFi? Been eyeing this phone as a backup/experiment phone...

Thanks.
    Trying to come up with some sort of signature line...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. D. View Post
    Does it receive data over WiFi? Been eyeing this phone as a backup/experiment phone...

Thanks.
    Yes. 2.4Ghz channel only.

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    Well, the Nokia 6300 4G finally arrived — "in transit" for about two weeks, sitting in Kasas City, KS (at least that was the last place they showed it). So far the only T-Mobile MVNO that will accept it is Mint Mobile. All the others act like it has leprosy. On T-Mobile's prepaid site, it always truncates the last three digits of the IMEI and then complains that I don't have 14 digits(?). (Yeah, you just truncated them.) So not a lot of fun at this point. I thought GSM was supposed to make this easier. I haven't tried the H2O SIM yet. I'll edit this post if that works.

EDIT: H2O doesn't give me the opportunity to test my phone before buying a plan? Does that mean it should work automatically, or does it mean I have to take my chances and might get stuck with a plan I can't use?

EDIT2: H2O SIM activated and working (don't know if the data has been set up or not, but I'm not planning on using H2O, just voice roaming). I guess they just assume you have a phone that will work. Wish Tello did the same.

The Tello SIM shows that it's active, I just can't buy a plan for it because my phone doesn't pass the "bring your own phone" test.

One thing I don't like about this phone. Apparently if SIM 1 is a VoLTE SIM, SIM 2 will only work on 3G and 2G. I hope I can flip SIMS when traveling, or the 2nd SIM might be worthless as, I believe, AT&T is supposedly dropping 3G and 2G.
    Last edited by rcentros; 03-04-2021 at 11:33 PM.
    Blackberry Q10 on TwigbyNokia 6300 4G on Tello & H2O

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
    Well, the Nokia 6300 4G finally arrived — "in transit" for about two weeks, sitting in Kasas City, KS (at least that was the last place they showed it). So far the only T-Mobile MVNO that will accept it is Mint Mobile. All the others act like it has leprosy. On T-Mobile's prepaid site, it always truncates the last three digits of the IMEI and then complains that I don't have 14 digits(?). (Yeah, you just truncated them.) So not a lot of fun at this point. I thought GSM was supposed to make this easier. I haven't tried the H2O SIM yet. I'll edit this post if that works.

EDIT: H2O doesn't give me the opportunity to test my phone before buying a plan? Does that mean it should work automatically, or does it mean I have to take my chances and might get stuck with a plan I can't use?
    I've used a Nokia 3310 2017 edition on H2O before. I would imagine it would work with a Nokia 6300.

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcentros View Post

EDIT2: H2O SIM activated and working (don't know if the data has been set up or not, but I'm not planning on using H2O, just voice roaming). I guess they just assume you have a phone that will work. Wish Tello did the same.

The Tello SIM shows that it's active, I just can't buy a plan for it because my phone doesn't pass the "bring your own phone" test.

One thing I don't like about this phone. Apparently if SIM 1 is a VoLTE SIM, SIM 2 will only work on 3G and 2G. I hope I can flip SIMS when traveling, or the 2nd SIM might be worthless as, I believe, AT&T is supposedly dropping 3G and 2G.
    Just so you know, that phone does not have volte and h2o is an att mvno.

Gsm isn't a thing anymore and the lack of volte will soon come back to haunt you. (Which is why it wasn't easy to activate.)

Though for now, att does not require volte for activation or use on an mvno, but their 2g voice network will slowly fade into non-existence.

Sent from my S6003L using HoFo mobile app
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    Just so you know, that phone does not have volte and h2o is an att mvno.

Gsm isn't a thing anymore and the lack of volte will soon come back to haunt you. (Which is why it wasn't easy to activate.)

Though for now, att does not require volte for activation or use on an mvno, but their 2g voice network will slowly fade into non-existence.

Correction, after some digging, found it should have volte and the right bands.

Maybe the imei hasn't been whitelisted or shows the model to be the older version, which is what comes up on searches too.

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    Correction, after some digging, found it should have volte and the right bands.
    The 6300 4G will support 4G LTE in both slots but only one at a time. If you have two 4G LTE SIMs the one in slot 2 drops back to 2G/3G.

From their user guide... "Note: On dual-SIM capable devices, both SIM 1 and SIM 2 slots support 4G networks. However, if your SIM 1 and SIM 2 are both LTE SIM cards, the primary SIM supports 4G/3G/2G networks, while the secondary SIM can only support 2G/3G. For more information on your SIM cards contact your service provider."

Now that I look closer at my H2O SIM I don't see anything about LTE? Do they sell different SIMS? (I guess I'll learn as I go.)

EDIT: I just took out the Tello SIM and left the H2O SIM in slot 2 — it now shows 4G/3G/2G. So I guess I did get an LTE H2O SIM, it just wasn't labeled as one on the packaging. This also confirms that only one LTE SIM works at a time, even though both slots will (individually) support LTE.

Feedback Score
    Question to owners of Nokia 6300 4G:

Do you get VoLTE on T-Mobile or its MVNOs (Tello, HelloMobile, MintMobile etc.) on at least one SIM?
    When you place call, do you see LTE or it drops to 3G/HSPA?

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    Question to owners of Nokia 6300 4G:

Do you get VoLTE on T-Mobile or its MVNOs (Tello, HelloMobile, MintMobile etc.) on at least one SIM?
    When you place call, do you see LTE or it drops to 3G/HSPA?
    Tello won't let me use the Nokia 6300 4G. This is what support told me...

Please note that we have checked and unfortunately, there is no way in which we can help with this device.

Unfortunately, the device you provided the IMEI for is incompatible.

So, apparently, if it's not on some list at T-Mobile(?), they can't use it. The phone has all the T-Mobile bands and is unlocked, which I told them. I also told them that they already support a KaiOS phone, the Alcatel Go Flip 3 (but I guess that one is locked to T-Mobile already).

So, back to the drawing board. This is what I was afraid of when I started this thread.

Feedback Score
    Just provide them with an IMEI they will accept (another T-Mo compatible phone), get their sim card and use it in the NOKIA?

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Prepaidforever View Post
    Just provide them with an IMEI they will accept (another T-Mo compatible phone), get their sim card and use it in the NOKIA?
    That was going to be my next question. The problem is I would have to buy another phone to test this theory. I'm kind of reluctant to do that. And would that put the phone I used to activate my account into some kind of "unable to use limbo?"

Boost and T-Mobile are both weird about this IMEI. They both ask me to look up the number after I've already input it. T-Mobile just truncates the last three digits, Boost offers to help me find the IMEI (like I never entered the number). Most of the other T-Mobile MNVOs just say the phone is incompatible. The one exception is Mint, but their bottom tier plan is $25 for 4 GBs that I don't need.

And isn't Mint a T-Mobile MVNO? Why are they the only ones who accept this phone (that I've found so far anyhow)?

I guess I'll just wait and see if this phone eventually gets white listed. I already like the 6300 4G — it does what I need. Good volume and fast.
    Last edited by rcentros; 03-05-2021 at 05:39 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    Amazon is advertising the 6300 4g as working on T-Mobile and T-Mobile MVNOs. I'm guessing that's going to be a mess.

https://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Feature...4978428&sr=8-3

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    After I sent a short response to Tello, I received the following from them...

We are currently experiencing some technical issues with the compatibility checker on the website. We are currently investigating the matter.

The incompatibility result might be related to this issue, please try checking the compatibility again tomorrow in the afternoon. This way you can be sure the validation is correct.

We are sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience, please let us know if there are any changes.
    So maybe this is an issue throughout T-Mobile and their MVNOs (except Mint?). Hopefully it will resolve itself in a few days. Maybe this is why T-Mobile keeps truncating my IMEI and then telling me I need a longer IMEI.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast