Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Samsung setting default CONTACTS to Google

Device(s)
    LG Premier Pro Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone / Verizon
    Feedback Score

Samsung setting default CONTACTS to Google

I would like to use the Google Contacts app on my Samsung A01 Tracfone, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to set the Contacts as default so it comes up when I click the contacts.

I've downloaded and made a mess of importing multiple vcf files, so I uninstalled the Google CONTACTS app.
    Would still like to use it as I like the layout of that app better than Samsung's default Contacts app. Any way to get this done?

Also have Nova Launcher (Prime) set as default home screen launcher, but I think the default app use resides in the actual Samsung settings. Just does not show up for Contacts.
    I was born with nothing and have managed to keep most of it.
    When I was a kid rocks were soft and dirt was new.

LG Rebel 4(current house phone) -> LG Premier Pro Plus(my pack along)

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vljenewein View Post
    I would like to use the Google Contacts app on my Samsung A01 Tracfone, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to set the Contacts as default so it comes up when I click the contacts.
    1. Run the Google Contacts app.
    2. Touch the 3 dots in the upper-right corner-->select Contact Settings-->select Display.
    3. There are 4 choices:
    * All contacts: all the choices below combined.
    * Phone: only show contacts stored in the phone's memory.
    * Google contacts.
    * Customize.

Select Google contacts.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Not sure what you mean by "click the contacts"

The Google app and the Samsung app are different apps. If you hit the icon for one that's what you'll get.

You should be able to disable the Samsung app though I don't see a need. Just take it off the home screen and put the Google one there.

Feedback Score
    Agree you need the proper contacts app on the home screen. Not sure what happens when you have more than one contacts app installed. With messaging apps when you open another one, it will ask if you want to make it the new default. Did you have your Google account set up in the Google Contacts app? In the Samsung app? My Google Contacts app works a little differently than what @hpham described, but the account info is still in Settings.

Look on contacts.google.com to see if the contacts are stored on the Google server. You should not need a to use .vcf files anymore if Google backups are being done automatically.

Device(s)
    LG Premier Pro Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone / Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post

Look on contacts.google.com to see if the contacts are stored on the Google server. You should not need a to use .vcf files anymore if Google backups are being done automatically.
    I try NOT to involve sending or storing anything on Google servers. I don't like the idea of contacts, emails, phone number, etc begin out there in a cloud server somewhere. I prefer the security of having all this right on my phone or my PC. Not totally paranoid, but just don't believe in cloud storage safety.

So I exported my contacts to a VCF file in my SD card folder called "contacts" I should be able to import it straight from there without issues, right?

The MESSAGE app was able to be replaced as default app over the one of Samsung That is great. I'm now able to see on phone AND my laptop incoming and outgoing messages. The same action should be available to do this on the CONTACTS app as well.. set as default. Perhaps it is tied into the Samsung Phone app and they work together.

@ST Dog What I meant by click on the contacts is touching the Google Contacts app to open.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I try NOT to involve sending or storing anything on Google servers. I don't like the idea of contacts, emails, phone number, etc begin out there in a cloud server somewhere. I prefer the security of having all this right on my phone or my PC. Not totally paranoid, but just don't believe in cloud storage safety.
    You can use the Google Contacts app, but set it to display contacts stored on your phone (as described in my post above).

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score

So I exported my contacts to a VCF file in my SD card folder called "contacts" I should be able to import it straight from there without issues, right?

The MESSAGE app was able to be replaced as default app over the one of Samsung That is great. I'm now able to see on phone AND my laptop incoming and outgoing messages. The same action should be available to do this on the CONTACTS app as well.. set as default. Perhaps it is tied into the Samsung Phone app and they work together.

@ST Dog What I meant by click on the contacts is touching the Google Contacts app to open.
    Umm. Emails are always in the cloud, it requires the servers to send and receive em.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Agree you need the proper contacts app on the home screen. Not sure what happens when you have more than one contacts app installed. My Google Contacts app works a little differently than what @hpham described...
    I did some checking and the Contacts app on my LG phones (LG Q7+, LG Stylo 4+, LG Journey) is not the Google Contacts app. So I downloaded the Google Contacts app. You can have more than one Contacts apps installed without problems. Same with multiple Calendar apps.

To do what the OP wanted (using the Google Contacts app but not having your contacts stored on the Google server):
    - Copy a vcf file of contacts created on another phone/device to the Samsung phone.
    - Run the Google Contacts app -->touch the 3 bars in the upper-left corner -->select Settings.
    - In the "Edit contacts" section, touch "Default account for new contacts"--->select Device.
    - In the "Manage contacts" section, select Import-->select the vcf file. That will load the entries in the vcf file to the phone, and the Google Contacts app will display them.

Attachment 167885

Attachment 167886

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I try NOT to involve sending or storing anything on Google servers.

The MESSAGE app was able to be replaced as default app over the one of Samsung That is great. I'm now able to see on phone AND my laptop incoming and outgoing messages. The same action should be available to do this on the CONTACTS app as well.. set as default.
    The default storage location used to be configurable. Not sure now, as I have tried to use local contact in years.

But if contacts are stored locally, they won't be available anywhere but the phone.

Sounds like what you really want is to store contacts on Google's server and then dIsplay those on the phone or a computer.

If you have a messaging app that shows the same messages on the phone and a PC then the messages are stored on a remote server/cloud.

Device(s)
    LG Premier Pro Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone / Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I still have my LG Rebel 4 and the CONTACTS app looks nothing like the Google contacts app. I really like the LG app over the others. At the top is a heading of "Dial" "Call logs" "Contacts" "Groups" I like that feature.

The LG app is version 7.0.31 whereas the Google Contacts is ver. 3.37.8.35129795 Would like to find that app or one very similar to it.
    Last edited by vljenewein; 02-01-2021 at 10:38 AM.

Device(s)
    LG Premier Pro Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone / Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I guess what I am saying is I "thought" that the contacts app on my LG Rebel 4 was Google Contacts but it is not. I looked at the Google Contacts app when I downloaded and imported them from a .vcf file. Clearly not the same at all. the Samsung Contacts seems a bit better than the Google app for me. No, I am not interested in storing contacts on Google. Stored locally means I always have access to them and new ones even if not connected via Wi-Fi. At least that is my understanding. But the LG "Contacts" app had those familiar features I mention above and ones I like.

Just not sure if there was a way to download and install a LG Contacts app, or even if there is one like it with that version number. Alternaively, an app that was very similar to the LG Contacts app would be interesting to me to try out.

I did not realize that LG and Samsung had their own apps like Contacts, Messages, Browser, etc. I believed that Google had phone manufactures incorporate a lot of their apps by default that helped to bring down the overall cost of a phone.

Too bad you can't just buy a bare bones Android 10 phone and download and install only those apps that are of value to you. As it is there seems to be a lot of "Bloatware" that I would never use, but because it is "incorporated" I also cannot uninstall those apps that take up space.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    No, I am not interested in storing contacts on Google. Stored locally means I always have access to them and new ones even if not connected via Wi-Fi. At least that is my understanding.
    Privacy issue aside, storing your contacts on Google means they will be sync'ed to your device whenever that device is "online". If your phone is offline, it still has a "static" copy of your contact list.

If you have multiple phones and changed/added/deleted an entry on one phone, that will be populated to the other phones when they're online. That is useful to some people, and isn't a big deal to others. I have 8-9 functioning phones (although not all are active with a service). If I take a phone out of storage and connect it to WiFi, its Contact List will be updated to the latest copy on Google. Same with its Calendar.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Too bad you can't just buy a bare bones Android 10 phone and download and install only those apps that are of value to you. As it is there seems to be a lot of "Bloatware" that I would never use, but because it is "incorporated" I also cannot uninstall those apps that take up space.
    The closest you can easily get is something like Pixel or Motorola that uses mostly stock Android and not a lot of OEM replacement apps.

But then you may not like the stock versions of the apps (like Contacts or Messages) and you still need to add versions you like in addition to the stock apps (which you can't uninstall)

The only way to really have control is a 3rd party custom ROM and that's not something you appear ready for.

Feedback Score
    If you any of the major Google apps installed even though Google Contacts isn't. Then Google still has all your contacts whether you can access them or not.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.04.21

Device(s)
    LG Premier Pro Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone / Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Another thought that puzzles me. I bought a Samsung A10e at Best Buy and trying it out and used the Transfer Wizard app (tracfone) to set up setting , etc from the Samsung A01 to this Samsung A103. However, I cannot remember when using the Nova Launcher Prime ho to add in the little apps drawer I used on the bottom "dock" That worked well to add apps to screens I have created in the A01. But without the little app icon there either on the desktop or DOCK I could not figure out how to get the settings Icon back on the main home screen. Any hints?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast