Thread: Regarding Moto G Power (2020) camera for those who have one

Feedback Score

Regarding Moto G Power (2020) camera for those who have one

Just bought the HSN Tracfone package with 1500 minutes (Verizon). Been reading up and playing with the phone, watching You Tube videos of all kinds. While I have transferred some info from J7 Sky Pro to the G Power, I have not activated it yet since I want to ensure I'm happy with this phone. Everything I read says the camera is pretty good, not great, and takes nice pics. Mine shoots blurry every.single.time. I tried changing settings and nothing seems to make pics any better.

The other issue is that when I press the camera button to shoot, it shoots many of the same shot quickly. I tried pressing quickly, but, that doesn't allow the pic to focus enough, IMO, and still sometimes shoots 2-3-4 pics continuously, all blurry. I have to press it REALLY FAST once, to get just one blurry pic. Feels like there's no time for the pic to focus. Is there a setting so it will just take one photo instead of many with one touch? I've spend lots of time on this issue with the settings to no avail, so what am I missing.

Thanks in advance.

D

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I haven't had too much opportunity to use the camera on mine yet. The few test shots I took outside look fine. But playing around inside now in rather dim lighting, it's not very good, a bit blurred, but this is lighting where, not so many years back, you'd be lucky to get anything barely visible at all. In another room with much better lighting, it seems pretty good.

Are you in regular camera mode and 1x, not using macro or .5x? Clean lens?

The shutter button seems normal to me. A tap takes 1 picture, tap and hold takes multiple shots.

Device(s)
    Moto G Stylus, Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Liberty Wireless, FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    I had both the 2020 Power & Stylus. Didn't notice any camera issues with either of them. The Stylus takes slightly better pictures, but not a huge difference.

I returned the Power because it had call issues after the last update was installed. (Actually returned 2 of them with the same issue) The outgoing ring became barely audible and volume jumped up and down during calls.

Sent from my moto g stylus using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I'm not having anything like that happening with mine.

The pictures are pretty good.
    I haven't had any turn out blurry or bad.
    I really like this phone quite a bit.

Also the call quality is great and sound quality is great too.
    Ringer is nice and loud.
    I downloaded my favorite ringtone that I use on all of my Android phones.

But the ones that were already in the phone were okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by djkkk View Post
    Just bought the HSN Tracfone package with 1500 minutes (Verizon). Been reading up and playing with the phone, watching You Tube videos of all kinds. While I have transferred some info from J7 Sky Pro to the G Power, I have not activated it yet since I want to ensure I'm happy with this phone. Everything I read says the camera is pretty good, not great, and takes nice pics. Mine shoots blurry every.single.time. I tried changing settings and nothing seems to make pics any better.

The other issue is that when I press the camera button to shoot, it shoots many of the same shot quickly. I tried pressing quickly, but, that doesn't allow the pic to focus enough, IMO, and still sometimes shoots 2-3-4 pics continuously, all blurry. I have to press it REALLY FAST once, to get just one blurry pic. Feels like there's no time for the pic to focus. Is there a setting so it will just take one photo instead of many with one touch? I've spend lots of time on this issue with the settings to no avail, so what am I missing.

Thanks in advance.

D
    Sent from my Powerfully Majestic Moto G Power

Feedback Score
    Everything I read says the camera is pretty good, not great, and takes nice pics. Mine shoots blurry every.single.time. I tried changing settings and nothing seems to make pics any better.
    You should be able to force focus by tapping on the screen somewhere. That has been a feature on every smartphone camera I have ever owned. Yes, autofocus works poorly in dim light. You also have to hold very steady when the shutter goes off. These puny cameras just don't have enough "glass" to let light through despite their technical specs. I wish there was a "half push" shutter button like real cameras have to adjust focus and exposure. Laments of a long time photographer!

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score

Thanks in advance.

D
    The other issue is that when I press the camera button to shoot, it shoots many of the same shot quickly.
    Multiple shots sounds like bracketing is turned on or some other special mode.

As a quick test, try another camera app.
    That'll verify the stock camera app is acting odd. I like Open Camera and Footej Camera 2. (I have both on my phone to use in different situations)

Then you can go back and look through the camera settings. I don't have that phone so the app may be different, but the Motorola camera on my G7 Power doesn't have an bracketing options, and I have to hold the shutter for ~2 seconds to start multiple shots.

As for the image quality, the other apps will be good for comparing.

You didn't mention the lighting or share examples. First try good natural lighting. Outside on a clear day, or at least a large windows letting lots of sunlight in.

Then try bright lighting inside.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I installed GCam (Google camera) on my G
    Power and took a couple of pictures outside on a bright sunny day. Both look good. GCAM did very slightly better in exposure, from details in shadow, and blew out less on bright white snow. 2 shots isn't enough to prove anything, except that the camera can take a decent picture in daylight.

BTW, there is no bracket mode, just the multi-shot mode when holding the button.