Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Smaller" phone?

Feedback Score

"Smaller" phone?

I have a gun to my head because of VoLTE. Ting is telling me I have to get a new phone as their network is going to VoLTE and my phone doesn't support it. Currently I have a Moto E4, which is 5" and that's about as big as I want to go. I don't want to carry around a phone the size of a tablet.

So what can you guys recommend in a 5G VoLTE phone that isn't huge? Or does such an animal even exist?

Thanks!!!

Don

Device(s)
    Moto G Stylus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Liberty Wireless, FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Hmm, I'm thinking the E4 does support VoLTE. Did do you check the settings menu under "Wireless & Network" options? Click on "More" & then "Cellular Networks"& let us know what you see.

Sent from my moto g stylus using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    FWIW, you don't have to buy a 5G phone, just make sure the new phone has VOLTE (4G). Look into the iPhone SE 2020 or the Palm Compact Phone by Palm as a possible solution .
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the responses. Per what Digital Rules asked, under Cellular Network Settings I do have "Enhanced 4G LTE Mode" but I don't know if that means in VoLTE or not. Ting says not.

As for Serial Port, I want to stay with Android if I can, should have mentioned that. I haven't dealt with Apple at all. Also if I'm going to buy a new phone anyway, seems like I should get the 5G capability so I don't have to get *another* phone in 18 months.

Feedback Score
    I'd say the best small phone at the moment is the iphone 12 mini. It is actually smaller than the iphone se (2nd gen) but has a larger display than the iphone se. downside is it is like $700
    Sony used to sell an xperia compact, but they discontinued that one a couple years ago

Device(s)
    Moto G Stylus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Liberty Wireless, FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Yes, Enhanced 4g LTE is VoLTE. The E4 supports VoLTE on both T-Mobile & Verizon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by donald_s View Post
    Thanks for the responses. Per what Digital Rules asked, under Cellular Network Settings I do have "Enhanced 4G LTE Mode" but I don't know if that means in VoLTE or not. Ting says not.

As for Serial Port, I want to stay with Android if I can, should have mentioned that. I haven't dealt with Apple at all. Also if I'm going to buy a new phone anyway, seems like I should get the 5G capability so I don't have to get *another* phone in 18 months.
    You can put your size and other parameters in: https://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3?

It is better to put the phone size rather than the screen size. Newer phones with narrower bezels can be the same size as older phones, but with a bigger screen.

As far as 5G goes. There are not any good phones at the lower end of the price range. I do not expect 5G to be a factor for phone basic usability for several years.

Enter *#*#4636#*#* in the phone dialer and select Phone information. That will show if the phone is using VoLTE for voice. That code works on my Moto phones. I don't know for sure if it works on a E4.

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys. Ok Bob you helped me out with another post. I went into the 'hidden' menu and it looks like my Moto E4 does indeed support VoLTE. So Ting has been lying to me, trying to get me to buy another phone.

Ok now part 2 of my question and this one I may need to post elsewhere because it's more complex. I also have a Moto G2. When I got into the menu, I do have an option for Volte Provisioned and it's currently on. However it cannot be toggled on and off. So is it truly Volte provisioned, or is it an unavailable option?

To Digital Rules point, it does not have Enhanced 4G LTE Mode in the Cellular Network settings. So I'm guessing it is not VoLTE compatible. But if so, why is there a toggle in the hidden menus that says it is on?

The thing that makes me crazy is, this is *required* going forward, yet it's almost impossible to find out. I mean, you can find out what band of 4G your phone has, but not whether it's VoLTE.

Feedback Score
    I have a gun to my head because of VoLTE. Ting is telling me I have to get a new phone as their network is going to VoLTE and my phone doesn't support it. Currently I have a Moto E4, which is 5" and that's about as big as I want to go. I don't want to carry around a phone the size of a tablet.

So what can you guys recommend in a 5G VoLTE phone that isn't huge? Or does such an animal even exist?

Thanks!!!

Don
    You don't need a 5G phone. You only need a VoLTE compatible phone.

Are you averse to bigger screens, or simply bigger phones?

For example:

5" Moto E4: 144.7 mm x 72.3 mm x: 9.3 mm

is actually BIGGER than

5.81" Pixel 4a: 144 mm x 69.4 mm x 8.2 mm

That's just one example. I'd guess there are other new phones with a bigger than 5" screen that are actually physically smaller overall than a Moto E4.

Feedback Score
    Ah Boz1 now that is a really good point. Actually it is the phone size that's an issue.

Feedback Score
    Ah Boz1 now that is a really good point. Actually it is the phone size that's an issue.
    A lot of newer phones have smaller bezels than the Moto E4, so the screen can be bigger without making the overall size bigger.

I don't know what your budget is, but if I had to buy a new phone right now, I'd seriously consider a Pixel 4a, even though discounted pricing is few and far between at the moment.

Hopefully someone else will have a similar example of a more budget friendly bigger screen/smaller body phone, in case that's what you're looking for.

Feedback Score
    Ok thank you all very much guys. You've convinced me to ignore 5G for now. So looks like my Moto E4 is already fine, despite what Ting says.

Still have to figure out what the story is about the Moto G2. Seeing conflicting things about the phone online.

Feedback Score
    Moto e6 is smaller, has VOLTE, is inexpensive and has a removable battery that you are used to.

Feedback Score
    ..................Still have to figure out what the story is about the Moto G2. Seeing conflicting things about the phone online.
    G2 no VoLTE. E4 you're good to go. 5G is premature. I only know Verizon but they still don't have the capacity to support both LTE and Nationwide 5G in some areas. My E4 which always had a good lock on LTE/VoLTE started dropping to 1x/EVDO in fringe areas when Vzw turned on 5G. Not enough combined LTE/5G capacity to go around.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by husavik View Post
    Moto e6 is smaller, has VOLTE, is inexpensive and has a removable battery that you are used to.
    Do you know what version of Android the E6 upgraded to ?
    Since there's different network/band models of the E6 does anyone know the universal factory unlocked model # ?

PhoneScoop shows it as no HD voice/VoLTE which doesn't make sense since it came out in 2019. Just a mistake by them?
    It's about the same overall size as the E4 but a bigger display per PhoneScoop.

Thx

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast