Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: First New Phone in 12+ years! Where to start?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by katykatkid View Post
    I haven't a clue which carrier Tracfone uses; is there a way for me to figure this out? I live in a metro area with good coverage by all carriers, if that matters.

eBay? Brilliant idea and not one I'd have thought of on my own.

I'm already glad I didn't just drive to Wal-mart!
    If one were able to send a text message from phone to an email account, then the message receieved on the email account can show the suffix portion of the sender after the at-sign, and this will give some indication which cellular service the text message came from.

Feedback Score
    By all means, educate me! What do I need to know?
    FWIW, I don't need a Tracfone smartphone. I've got all those capabilities in my iPhone. Just need a basic phone with talk & text to use as a backup.
    I suggest that a basic phone (like the clamshell design, non-smartphone), although can handle text messaging IS MORE DIFFICULT for composing and sending text messages. Further, a good smartphone may often have an onboard touchscreen keyboard which is easier to use than whatever formats you may have on the basic non-smartphone; although quality does vary depending on product brand or other distinctions.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    I suggest that a basic phone (like the clamshell design, non-smartphone),
    They specifically asked for a QWERTY keyboard, so no flip phone.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    The most hassle-free way to get another year of Tracfone service would be to get a new $30 Tracfone from Walmart, transfer my minutes, and buy another $99 year-long minute extender card to get me to February 2022. But hassle free is not always the best way! Suggestions?
    The Moto E6 bundle hpham mentioned is probably your best bet. Assuming you order soon and it arrives in time. TF orders from eBay typically ship fast though. My last one shipped the next day via UPS Ground and arrived in 5 days (ordered Wed arrived Mon).

While you might find the phone alone for $20-30, but then you still need service time, and the bundle with 1yr of service is less than the service time alone.

One thing not mentioned yet is that you will need to use it more often. Just a short call every 6 months instead of 12 months. (make sure it's answered and connected for 30 seconds or so).

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    By all means, educate me! What do I need to know?
    FWIW, I don't need a Tracfone smartphone. I've got all those capabilities in my iPhone. Just need a basic phone with talk & text to use as a backup.
    Even if you don't need a smartphone, there are really cheap options out there, probably cheaper than some feature (non-smart) phones, like a Refub Moto E6 for $19.99, just to give an example. (See phones in Tracfone website)

It does all what you need it to do. No need to use all the little bells and whistles of it since you already have your "main" smartphone for that.
    Hi, my name is Jairzinho and I've been Wireless Contract-free for 20 years!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    They specifically asked for a QWERTY keyboard, so no flip phone.
    The multiquotes did not work but I say again, and without regard to which keyboard type or which cell phone type, use the cell phone to send text message to an email address. The user receiving the email message can look at the suffix of the sender and pick out the cellular service.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The refurbished E6 requires you also purchase airtime. The choices given are the 3 unlimited 30 day plans ($30/25/20) and the $15 Smartphone Plan with 500 Minutes, 500 Text & 500 MB Data and 30-Day of Service.
    The TF e-Bay store may not require an airtime purchase.

If katykatkid had been playing the Tracfone rewards program games he could have purchased 4 of the 60minute/90 day airtime plans for free.
    But time may be running out to play with the Verizon acquisition looming.
    The rewards thread... https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...ewards-Program

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the input everyone. I just bought the Moto E6 phone through ebay. I should have enough time to attempt to activate it and transfer my existing minutes. I'll post back next week and let everyone know how well it works.

Device(s)
    Motorola G6
    Carrier(s)
    Page Pluss
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the input everyone. I just bought the Moto E6 phone through ebay. I should have enough time to attempt to activate it and transfer my existing minutes. I'll post back next week and let everyone know how well it works.
    Excellent! Losing minutes/texts would stick in my craw. Your cell number (and account) will exist for 60 days (after 2-10-21) and can be recovered by buying airtime. As a "backup" phone, minutes and texts are in surplus.

Since you were ready to buy $99 in airtime, I would have suggested any phone bundle up to $100 would have been a free choice.

Regards, FJ

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I should have enough time to attempt to activate it and transfer my existing minutes.
    I'll post back next week and let everyone know how well it works.
    That may have just been a poor choice of phrasing... because you DO NOT want to activate first and then transfer your existing service (phone number and airtime). That order could wipe out the bundled airtime.
    You want only ONE transaction... transfer your service to activate the phone/bundle.

Again I suggest you continue to run your plans by us ahead of time so that we might catch potential mistakes.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    did not work but I say again, and without regard to which keyboard type or which cell phone type, use the cell phone to send text message to an email address.
    That was solved using the SIM number.

Again you suggest a flip phone which does not meet their earlier stated requirement.

They have something like the T404G or the S390G and TF doesn't offer anything like that anymore.
    Last edited by ST Dog; 02-03-2021 at 07:28 AM.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I just bought the Moto E6 phone through ebay. Good move!
    I would try calling tracfone, initially, 1 (800) 867-7183. You may get lucky and connect with someone without an accent that is difficult to understand. In that case should be a 10/15 minute conversation and you're done.

If that doest work go to chat,(https://www.tracfone.com/techsupport or https://www.tracfone.com/contactus) look for a red or green "chat with us". You may have to scroll down and search a bit.

Whichever way you make contact just be sure, as the gang here told you, to say that you want to activate the New phone with a TRANSFER from your old phone. With chat it is a good iea to 'copy and paste' the entire conversation. I expect you know how, if not, check back here before you chat and someone will help you. There is also an email option,small envelope on the chat box that you can click and request the chat be mailed to you although that method is hit and miss.
    You have up to 60 days after your current phone expires to activate the new one so don't be alarmed if your old phone expires.

Good Luck, and do let us know how you come out.

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gmannix View Post
    You have up to 60 days after your current phone expires to activate the new one so don't be alarmed if your old phone expires.
    But the phone number can be reassigned quickly to another person once the phone expired.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    But the phone number can be reassigned quickly to another person once the phone expired.
    If the 60-day time limit was given, then the expired phone line and account would need to go for that 60 day period before the expired phone number becomes reassigned.

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    If the 60-day time limit was given, then the expired phone line and account would need to go for that 60 day period before the expired phone number becomes reassigned.
    Tracfone Terms & Conditions state "If your Service is deactivated, your Service can be reactivated by purchasing and adding an Airtime Card. Once reactivated, your phone may be assigned a new phone number . Airtime which remained unused at the time of deactivation will still be available if Service is reactivated within sixty (60) days from the deactivation date, otherwise any unused airtime will be lost".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast