Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Wifi calling Question

Feedback Score

Wifi calling Question

I have an Alcatel A405DL, My Flip which currently activated on TF/Verizon. I know that Wifi calling is not offered with TF/Verizon. I have a BYOP T Mobil sim, which is unactivated. I put that into the My Flip to see if a setting for WIFI calling would show in the settings. (There is no Wifi Calling setting using the activated TF/Verizon sim). With the unactivated T Mobil sim a Wifi calling option shows, It gives the option of on and off, another option, preferred profile, cellular preferred, wifi preferred, and wifi only. Plus a tutorial on wifi calling. Does this mean wifi calling would work on this phone with T Mobil? I live in an area with poor cell coverage, and wifi calling would be a plus. I figured I would ask the forum members because asking Trac service reps is a waste of time!

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I know lots of the phones support WiFi calling with a T-Mobile based SIM, but you need to have it provisioned right.

The weird thing is my A51 S515DL with a Verizon based Straight Talk SIM. My A51 did not have WiFi calling till the latest update that updated it to OneUI 2.5.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Landngroove View Post
    Does this mean wifi calling would work on this phone with T Mobil? I live in an area with poor cell coverage, and wifi calling would be a plus.
    WiFi calling should work with an activated TF/T-Mobile SIM, but you may find the regular network signal is worse. What shows for signal strength when the T-Mobile SIM is installed? Keep in mind that an unactivated SIM will not read the same as an activated one.

Device(s)
    Motorola G6
    Carrier(s)
    Page Pluss
    Feedback Score
    1. I have an Alcatel A405DL,
    2. My Flip which currently activated on TF/Verizon.
    3. I have a BYOP T Mobil sim, which is unactivated.
    4. With the unactivated T Mobil sim a Wifi calling option shows,
    5. Does this mean wifi calling would work on this phone with T Mobil?
    Okay.
    1. Me too! I had one on TF/Verizon and another on Page Plus/TF/Verizon.
    2. My TF/Verizon A405DL is currently active on T-Mobile.
    3. I used the SIM from my Kyocera Gold Rewards prepaid phone.
    4. My A405DL shows a choice between VoLTE and VoWIFI. I choose VoWIFI.
    %. My example works.

HTH
    Regards, FJ

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I'm a new TF-VZW customer, and so far things are great except for the lack of Wifi calling on VZW. Totally didn't expect lack of Wifi calling in this day and age. Is it possible to have them ship me an AT&T SIM and transfer my airtime to AT&T? Is this called a "network swap"?

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bfavre444 View Post
    I'm a new TF-VZW customer, and so far things are great except for the lack of Wifi calling on VZW. Totally didn't expect lack of Wifi calling in this day and age. Is it possible to have them ship me an AT&T SIM and transfer my airtime to AT&T? Is this called a "network swap"?
    Don't confuse TF reps by using the word "swap", it's a "change". If your phone is BYOP, just transfer service to a new TF/AT&T SIM. If it's a TF-branded phone, you'll have to covince the rep that Verizon doesn't work well in your area.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    WiFi calling should work with an activated TF/T-Mobile SIM, but you may find the regular network signal is worse. What shows for signal strength when the T-Mobile SIM is installed? Keep in mind that an unactivated SIM will not read the same as an activated one.
    You are right. regular T Mo signal is spotty at best. Not worth switching to get wifi calling. But I was surprised to see that this MyFlip supports wifi calling. The specs for it do not mention it, and neither does the tutorial.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bfavre444 View Post
    Totally didn't expect lack of Wifi calling in this day and age. Is it possible to have them ship me an AT&T SIM and transfer my airtime to AT&T?
    Not sure if you can get WiFi calling on TF/AT&T. AT&T has been the worst at providing extra features on the MVNOs.

Feedback Score
    But I was surprised to see that this MyFlip supports wifi calling. The specs for it do not mention it, and neither does the tutorial.
    Most user guides/tutorials/specs don't mention network specific things like WiFi calling, importing contacts, voicemail, etc. From the old Packard automobile sales brochures: "Ask the man who owns one".

Feedback Score
    Not sure if you can get WiFi calling on TF/AT&T. AT&T has been the worst at providing extra features on the MVNOs.
    I put the ATT sim from the BYOP package in the same phone, and there are no options in the settings for wifi calling. There is an option to turn on volte. Maybe if the sale of Trac to Verizon goes through, wifi calling will be available.

Device(s)
    LG K31 Rebel
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone / Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Question... why don't you just download Google Hangouts and Google Hangouts dialer? I have a Google hangout phone number that sends those phone calls to my regular phone. But by using Wi-Fi I avoid having minutes taken off my Tracfone bucket.
    I have a de-activated LG Rebel 4 phone with Hangouts Dialer and Hangouts on it and just tried it out and called my wife's number. Went though fine. I've used it before on phones that have no activation and able to call.. using Wi-Fi and my Google number. Only drawback is you must be close to Wi-Fi and can't use it out in the back 40 since it does not use cell towers to initiate the call.
    I was born with nothing and have managed to keep most of it.
    When I was a kid rocks were soft and dirt was new.

LG Rebel 4(current house phone) -> LG K31 Rebel(my pack along)

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vljenewein View Post
    Question... why don't you just download Google Hangouts and Google Hangouts dialer?
    Some people like using WiFi Calling because the call can be made/received using their regular cell phone number. When using Google Hangouts and Hangouts Dialer (now combined into the Google "Voice" app), you use your GV number.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Don't confuse TF reps by using the word "swap", it's a "change". If your phone is BYOP, just transfer service to a new TF/AT&T SIM. If it's a TF-branded phone, you'll have to covince the rep that Verizon doesn't work well in your area.
    I put the ATT sim from the BYOP package in the same phone, and there are no options in the settings for wifi calling. There is an option to turn on volte. Maybe if the sale of Trac to Verizon goes through, wifi calling will be available.
    All this anecdotal research on forums that we have to do, just to figure out if WiFi is implemented on each network. What a pain in the a_s_s. Why doesn't Tracfone just own up to it, and put it in the FAQ which networks have it? (Red Pocket puts it in their FAQ). Instead, the TF CSR on the phone simply says "WiFi calling is implemented on all 3 networks" when I called them 2 weeks ago. What a blatant lie.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    Wifi-calling works depending on a variety of factors--your phone, your wifi environment, your router setup, and your ISP. If everything lines up, it works. But if one thing is weird, the whole thing breaks, and fixing it is beyond the capabilities of most users.

Providers don't like to put an "optional" feature down in black & white, because then they can be held liable to make it work. Which is impossible for wifi-calling. So it's there if you can make it work, and tough luck if you can't.
    I had a cheap SafeLink Alcatel phone running on T-Mobile that did WiFi calling without any special setup. it has to be allowed on an MVNO by the underlying carrier, which Verizon and AT&T don't.

Feedback Score
    tracfone has an option to check eligibility for WIFI calling - https://e911-reg.tracfone.com/wps/po...vZ0FBIS9nQSEh/

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast