Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Charging batteries

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score

Charging batteries

This question involves cellphone batteries that are used in radios.

I ordered two radios that use rechargable cellphone batteries that use a USB cord to charge them. I haven't gotten the radios yet. One is a Retekess Tivdio HR-11S and the other is a Supersonic SC-1080BT.

The battery in question is a (Nokia) BL-5C 3.7v battery rated at 600mAh.

I have a BL-5C 3.7v battery (mAh rating not stated) that came out of an old Nokia candybar style phone that died. I think it was a 2610. I kept the battery. Should it be safe to use in the radios?

I see replacement batteries online that say they're BL-5C 3.7v but with different, usually higher than 600, mAh ratings. I. E., 1000mAh, 1200mAh, etc. Are these safe to use/charge in the radios?

One frustrating thing about buying extra batteries is that the search engine will say it's got the 600mAh rating but the listing illustration shows a different rating.

Thanks if anyone knows about Amp ratings and charging.

Sent from my LGL423DL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    These are my experiences. Old removable batteries are so depleted they're not worth the effort. And 99% of said such sold at other than reputable outlets are fake. If they're not fake they're NOS & again worthless. Sorry to rain on your parade.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.04.21

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    These are my experiences. Old removable batteries are so depleted they're not worth the effort. And 99% of said such sold at other than reputable outlets are fake. If they're not fake they're NOS & again worthless. Sorry to rain on your parade.
    Well, I had heard many aftermarket batteries are fake even if they look genuine. So, I hesitate to just buy anything that alleges to be genuine.

I was just wondering if I can use a battery of a higher Amp rating in a device. I'm not sure of a website that can explain the basics so I'll understand it.

I Google searched "how to recharge li-on batteries" and similar but didn't find what I was looking for. It's why I decided to ask here since there are many knowledgeable people in the forums.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    ...I was just wondering if I can use a battery of a higher Amp rating in a device...
    In the old days of removable cell batteries most all that advertised way higher mAh ratings were meant to be used with an extended back cover not the original back. Because the batteries were much thicker.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    In the old days of removable cell batteries most all that advertised way higher mAh ratings were meant to be used with an extended back cover not the original back. Because the batteries were much thicker.
    This battery is about as thin as the new ones.

Photo provided.

There was another post to this thread last night and it disappeared. I was going to research the links today. It did say the higher Amp rating wouldn't cause problems, the battery would just last longer.

My problem with looking up things online is how to pose the question. I guess I could Google "Amp ratings and what they mean."

Or "Amp ratings for dummies."

Name:  20210203_082718_1.jpeg
Views: 46
Size:  47.2 KB

Feedback Score
    This battery is about as thin as the new ones.

Photo provided.

There was another post to this thread last night and it disappeared. I was going to research the links today. It did say the higher Amp rating wouldn't cause problems, the battery would just last longer.

My problem with looking up things online is how to pose the question. I guess I could Google "Amp ratings and what they mean."

Or "Amp ratings for dummies."

If the battery is of a size to fit in the battery holder with the same contacts AND the same voltage and battery chemistry.

It will work fine up to the quality of the battery.

The charge controller is in the phone, or radio in your case, not the charger power supply. It makes no difference to the phone or device what Amp-hour rating the battery is. The device just requires the correct Voltage and current capacity (Amps) to operate. You could hook up a car-sized battery of the correct voltage with tens of thousands of Amp-hours capacity and it would work fine for discharging the battery. Charging of a car-sized battery probably wouldn't work very well, if at all.

Battery chemistry: Most cellphone type batteries have been lithium based for years. A really old battery might be nickel based. It would be unsafe to charge a nickel based battery with a lithium charger and vice versa.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    If the battery is of a size to fit in the battery holder with the same contacts AND the same voltage and battery chemistry.

It will work fine up to the quality of the battery.

The charge controller is in the phone, or radio in your case, not the charger power supply. It makes no difference to the phone or device what Amp-hour rating the battery is. The device just requires the correct Voltage and current capacity (Amps) to operate. You could hook up a car-sized battery of the correct voltage with tens of thousands of Amp-hours capacity and it would work fine for discharging the battery. Charging of a car-sized battery probably wouldn't work very well, if at all.

Battery chemistry: Most cellphone type batteries have been lithium based for years. A really old battery might be nickel based. It would be unsafe to charge a nickel based battery with a lithium charger and vice versa.
    Thanks for taking the time to offer the info. Safety is my primary concern, don't want to risk damage to device or charger.

Years ago someone I knew hooked a boombox to a car battery and it worked. Can't remember how it was wired though. Not to say I would try it but I had forgotten until you mentioned car batteries.

I keep things for "someday I might need that," and occasionally it comes in handy. If I throw it away, three days later I think of a use for it.

I really need a primer for dummies on electrical basics.

Feedback Score
    ...I really need a primer for dummies on electrical basics.
    Basic electricity is pretty simple. Just do a web search for it. There are many basic tutorials/intros.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    I got the Supersonic radio today and its battery was fully charged and ready to use so I haven't tried charging it yet. It's the same size and polarity as the Nokia BL-5C battery I have.

The charging cord is included. I have a GE power strip that has two USB charging ports and I'm hoping that will work with the radio.

So far it is working fine streaming music off of WiFi through my Moto e5.

There are BL-5C batteries on Amazon, 2 for about $9 that might work as replacements. Name:  IMG_20210204_145328811_1.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  79.8 KBName:  IMG_20210204_144314747_1.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  79.2 KBName:  IMG_20210204_144121962_1.jpeg
Views: 38
Size:  87.8 KBName:  IMG_20210204_144303705_1.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  103.6 KBName:  IMG_20210204_144245319_1.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  98.0 KB

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    I used the radio about four hours and suddenly it shut off, so I put it on the charging cable & plugged it into my GE strip that has USB charger ports.

The radio jack for attaching the charging cable will not accept a cellphone charger cable, different shape, and so I had to use the cable that came with the radio. It's only a few inches long so I can't do much with the radio while it's plugged in. I can power the radio with the cord though, but I was disappointed that the jack wouldn't accept my other cellphone cords. The shape of the plug is similar but not quite the same. The other end that plugs into my GE charging port fits just fine. Also there's no way of telling when the radio battery is fully charged, just a red LED that shows it's plugged in.

It can run off of 3 AA batteries and I have 8 rechargable ones plus a battery charger to keep them charged. However it charges in twos and fours, not threes.

Has anyone ever seen a charger that just charges 3 batteries?

Everything seems to run off 3 batteries these days, not 2 or 4 like the old days before LED flashlights.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I used the radio about four hours and suddenly it shut off, so I put it on the charging cable & plugged it into my GE strip that has USB charger ports.

The radio jack for attaching the charging cable will not accept a cellphone charger cable, different shape, and so I had to use the cable that came with the radio. It's only a few inches long so I can't do much with the radio while it's plugged in. I can power the radio with the cord though, but I was disappointed that the jack wouldn't accept my other cellphone cords. The shape of the plug is similar but not quite the same. The other end that plugs into my GE charging port fits just fine. Also there's no way of telling when the radio battery is fully charged, just a red LED that shows it's plugged in.

It can run off of 3 AA batteries and I have 8 rechargable ones plus a battery charger to keep them charged. However it charges in twos and fours, not threes.

Has anyone ever seen a charger that just charges 3 batteries?

Everything seems to run off 3 batteries these days, not 2 or 4 like the old days before LED flashlights.
    Your picture shows that the radio has a mini USB power/charge port. That was the standard like fifteen years ago. You can get a USB micro to mini adapter for ~$2 that will let you use your cables that have a micro connector. You can also buy USB cables with the mini connector for a few bucks from Newegg or Monoprice, etc.

You can buy NiMH chargers that charge each cell individually. I would avoid ones that are fast chargers only. They degrade the cells prematurely.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Your picture shows that the radio has a mini USB power/charge port. That was the standard like fifteen years ago. You can get a USB micro to mini adapter for ~$2 that will let you use your cables that have a micro connector. You can also buy USB cables with the mini connector for a few bucks from Newegg or Monoprice, etc.

You can buy NiMH chargers that charge each cell individually. I would avoid ones that are fast chargers only. They degrade the cells prematurely.
    Thanks for the good advice. I wasn't sure what was up with the charging jack. I'll look into getting an adapter so I can use a longer cord. I didn't know the difference between mini & micro.

I have been looking into getting a charger for the cell type BL-5C battery. They're on Amazon and eBay pretty cheap, some with optional extra BL-5C batteries. My only concern is about quality. I definitely need some spare batteries to keep them charged to swap in.

My other radio that runs on that battery is due to arrive Monday or Tuesday. I'm sure the USB cord it uses will be the same as for this radio. The battery is the same.

I may be able to run this one on 3 AA rechargables and use the BL-5C for the new radio because that one only runs on those (or off the USB cord). The new radio is digital keypad/LCD screen, and it records so that will be nice.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Here's a plug I found. Mini male, micro female. Name:  usb-2.0-mini-b-male-to-micro-b-female-adapter-front2.jpeg
Views: 25
Size:  8.8 KBName:  usb-2.0-mini-b-male-to-micro-b-female-adapter-front1.jpeg
Views: 25
Size:  7.8 KB

Device(s)
    Flip phone, Samsung J3 on Tello
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, H2O, Page Plus, Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    That's the connector for the old Motorola Razr flip phones. I have a couple of the AC adapters, but you can find them at your local flea market. You may have to untangle it from a pile of them in a bucket. Also old Olympus phones used it. I also have a cable that has regular USB on one end, mini USB on the other.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dfriz View Post
    That's the connector for the old Motorola Razr flip phones. I have a couple of the AC adapters, but you can find them at your local flea market. You may have to untangle it from a pile of them in a bucket. Also old Olympus phones used it. I also have a cable that has regular USB on one end, mini USB on the other.
    I found quite a few of the micro to mini adapters on eBay for cheap. Two for $4 with free shipping. A cable with the adapter ends would be useful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast