Thread: Samsung A-Series Activation Warning

Feedback Score

Samsung A-Series Activation Warning

Thought I'd share my frustration I experience activating my unlocked Samsung A51 with a Verizon SIM. And a word of warning if you are going to activate a Samsung A-series phone.

The agent must have been new because she was very frustrating to work with. First she said my SIM number wasn't a Tracfone SIM and therefore wasn't valid. Negative. I got it brand new fresh from a Tracfone SIM Kit. Sorted.

Then she told me unlocked phones only worked with ATT SIMs. So get the ATT SIM from the kit. Huh?!!! I was about to cancel the chat and get someone else because never had I heard such a thing. I wasn't going to activate with ATT. Then she asked for my IMEI number. Found out that my phone is compatible with Verizon (no, duh) and somehow her previous declaration that I MUST use a ATT SIM vanished. OK, lady. Whatever. Sorted.

She said service is transferred and have a nice day. Without verifying that I could make calls, she ended the chat. That was the first activation I had where the agent didn't verify all was well before saying goodbye.

Guess what? Yep, I couldn't make a call. Back onto chat I go. This time I get an agent who knows some things. He trouble-shoots with every trick he can think of. Nothing worked. He escalates me to the next level of more experienced Tech Support. They call me.

This tech is left frustrated too. Nothing is working. Then she asks me what brand of phone? Samsung. What model? A51. Ah-ha. She tells me they have run into problems activating Samsung A-series phones. And what seems to do the trick is a complete FACTORY RESET after service is activated. I was crushed. A factory reset?!!! Wipe my phone and all I have on it, surely she jests. Nope. C'mon, even with Smart Switch it took a few hours to set up and customize everything. She apologized but that is the next trouble-shooting step given everything else she had tried. Wow, okay. I told her I had to do some backing up first and couldn't do it right then. I would have to call back. She understood. She instructed me to reset it and try to make a call. If it still didn't work to call back.

Guess what? The Factory Reset worked. As soon as the phone restarted, I was able to make a call. The Factory Reset was painful but it did the trick.

So be forewarned. If you have an A-series Samsung to activate do not set it up first. First get service activated because you might have to do a Factory Reset to get it working properly. And don't let an agent tell you you must use ATT SIMs if you want Verizon service.

Here is a snippet of the first chat with the crazy SIM issues:

Maria Fernanda: Is your new phone from us or is from another company?
    Another company
    Maria Fernanda: Okay.
    Maria Fernanda: From which company is?
    It an unlocked Samsung
    Maria Fernanda: Great!
    Maria Fernanda: Did you buy the BYOP sim card kit from TracFone?
    Yes
    Maria Fernanda: May I have the ATT?
    What is ATT?
    I have the SIM number and IMEI number of new phone

Maria Fernanda: May I have the sim card number?
    New phone SIM: xxx xxx xxx xxx
    Maria Fernanda: The system is not showing me the number.
    Maria Fernanda: Could you please give me the number together?
    You mean with no spaces?
    Maria Fernanda: Yes, please.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Maria Fernanda: Thank you.
    Maria Fernanda: Unfortunately, this sim card is not from us.
    Maria Fernanda: You need to buy the BYOP sim card kit from TracFone.
    I got it from a Tracfone kit
    Maria Fernanda: If you have the kit could you please look for the ATT one?
    But my service is Verizon
    Maria Fernanda: Yes, that is correct.
    Maria Fernanda: But an unlock phone does not work with Verizon.
    What? You mean to use my new phone I have to use ATT service?
    Maria Fernanda: No, ATT sim card only works with unlock phones.
    Maria Fernanda: I can try to check if the phone is eligible with Verizon Towers.
    Maria Fernanda: May I have the IMEI number?
    Yes please check because I only want Verizon service.
    New IMEI: xxxxxxxxxx

Maria Fernanda: Sure.
    Maria Fernanda: One moment, please.
    Maria Fernanda: Please allow me a moment to look into this.
    OK
    Maria Fernanda: May I have your zip code?
    xxxxx
    Maria Fernanda: One moment, please.
    ok
    Maria Fernanda: The phone is eligible.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Typical Tracfone CSR. Tracfone sells the Samsung A51 with a Verizon SIM.
    https://shop.tracfone.com/shop/en/tr...axy-a51-s515dl

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    What model of A51 is it?

If it is an international unlocked model of the A51, they do not work that well in the USA.

I have seen people get an international model by accident at times.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    >Thought I'd share my frustration I experience

Honestly, sounds pretty normal. Rather than get frustrated at the bad rep, you should be happy that you found resolution with the good rep. I count it as a win for TF CS.

Factory reset is generic troubleshooting SOP. It's the 3rd step. Step 1: Power off/on. Step 2: Network reset. Step 3: Factory reset. You should expect this coming in.

BTW, I don't think this is particular to Galaxy A-series.
    Why "should" I know this? Why should I "expect" this going in? A factory reset to activate a brand new phone?! Ridiculous. I have activated numerous phones and never had to factory reset one in order to make phone calls. Even one that had to be escalated because they couldn't get it activated. The agent kept plugging away at it and found a way to get it working. Never on that conversation was factory reset ever mentioned.

This is not only a message board for know-it-alls. This board serves to impart information. Whether they find said information helpful is subjective. Your snark, quite unhelpful. If you knew this, then good for you. This is not the thread for you. Close it and move on. This is for the people who don't know so they won't be caught short like I was. You see, NOW I know and will not in the future set up my phone before activating as I have done on every other phone I have ever owned.

I was well within my right to express frustration at the nuclear option of a Factory Reset. That took me by great surprise as I am not so technologically savvy as you clearly are, oh wise one. In fact, after I expressed shock she said, "Let me try one more thing first". It didn't work but I am darn glad I spoke up and caused her to try it. Something, by the way, I should have thought she would have tried anyway before going with a Factory Reset.

Anyway, I am able to multi-task. I can express frustration at the ordeal while also being glad I got my phone running. Now, that is my definition of a win-win in my book.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    What model of A51 is it?

If it is an international unlocked model of the A51, they do not work that well in the USA.

I have seen people get an international model by accident at times.
    I got it on Amazon and it is the US version:

"Samsung Galaxy A51 Factory Unlocked Cell Phone | 128GB of Storage | Long Lasting Battery | Single SIM | GSM or CDMA Compatible | US Version | Black"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RavensRebel View Post
    I got it on Amazon and it is the US version:

"Samsung Galaxy A51 Factory Unlocked Cell Phone | 128GB of Storage | Long Lasting Battery | Single SIM | GSM or CDMA Compatible | US Version | Black"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Can you double check the model tho?

Like I said, I have seen a few people accidentally get an international model even tho the site might say one thing.

Feedback Score
    Paraphrasing here. It's Tracphone Jake, it's Tracphone.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.04.21

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    How long did you wait after activation, before doing the reset?
    Was it really the reset that fixed it, or just the passage of time?
    I activated one byop sim recently, online not in chat, and it took about 10 minutes for the phone to get its’ number and several hours before it could make a call. It was a new number, not a port. Activations are usually quick, but every now and then, take somewhat longer.

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    FWIW, I and another forum member had the same problem with our TF-branded A10e's. After activation, couldn't make/receive calls although reps confirmed that the activaion/transfer was completed. Reps suggested a reset and the phone worked after that.