Thread: I have data but cannot call, whats the trouble?

Feedback Score

I have data but cannot call, whats the trouble?

First let me tell you where I live, I live in Kentucky but only 1/2 mile from the Tennessee line. I am with Pure Talk USA, recently I stopped being able to call from home but still have data. I went to Tennessee and cannot call from there even with 2-4 bars but I have data and can go on the internet with ease but cannot make a call. As I come out of Tennessee and cross the Kentucky line I can then call again. What is wrong?, Pure Talk has had me reset my system, sent me a new sim and even had me go to Tennessee to talk to me thru data and did a lot of settings but it was for nothing and I can't call. They said they have done all they could and gave up on me. So ya'll ever have this trouble? thanks for any help

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by boomer92266 View Post
    First let me tell you where I live, I live in Kentucky but only 1/2 mile from the Tennessee line. I am with Pure Talk USA, recently I stopped being able to call from home but still have data. I went to Tennessee and cannot call from there even with 2-4 bars but I have data and can go on the internet with ease but cannot make a call. As I come out of Tennessee and cross the Kentucky line I can then call again. What is wrong?, Pure Talk has had me reset my system, sent me a new sim and even had me go to Tennessee to talk to me thru data and did a lot of settings but it was for nothing and I can't call. They said they have done all they could and gave up on me. So ya'll ever have this trouble? thanks for any help
    Only time i had this problem was right after my tello iphone was migrated from sprint to t-mobile. Due to an ims issue, my phone was still using 2g/3g voice, which doesn't work if you're in an area that cant get the voice network signal. In my case, i could have b12/71 lte, but because the 1900 umts/gsm network didnt reach the inside of my apartment - data but no voice calls.

Depending on your network setup with puretalk, and their agreement with att. You may be in a situation like mine..where the voice network is only 3g.

However, it could also be an issue with the actual device too.

Sent from my S6003L using HoFo mobile app
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Device(s)
    Moto G Stylus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Liberty Wireless, FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    I am with Pure Talk USA, recently I stopped being able to call from home but still have data.
    What model phone are you using? Might be a VoLTE compatibility issue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    What model phone are you using? Might be a VoLTE compatibility issue.
    Samsung a51, my wife has the a71 and it has the same issue, we had an a51 and a71 up to a few months ago when everything was working good and we were able to call from home and the letter H was above the bars. Then a few months ago we stopped being able to call till we were in Kentucky a mile or so, we the bought new a51 and a71 phones and sims and still nothing. we have good bars signal but can't call out. I live 1/2 mile from Tennessee in Kentucky, as soon as I leave home and head farther in ky. then I get great calling service but if I head the other way, I cannot call.

Device(s)
    Moto G Stylus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Liberty Wireless, FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Does "LTE" ever stay on during calls, or do you always see the "H"?

Feedback Score
    I used to see the H at home but not anymore, but when I head up the road farther in Kentucky to H appears and I then am able to call. The LTE sign apears next to my bars unless I am on wifi. I have no trouble calling from anywhere in Kentucky but as soon as I get right near Tennessee the phone won't call out. I did get a call into my phone a few days ago from my wife while I was in Tennessee but it dropped all of a sudden and when I tried to recall I couldn't do it.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If only the letter "H" shows on the display instead of "LTE" it means you phone is accessing the older technology instead of the newer VOLTE (Voice Over LTE) which would indicate your voice will be unavailable until the networks are updated or provisioning on the network is improved/resolved. Do you know which cellular network your Pure Talk is using ?
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    If only the letter "H" shows on the display instead of "LTE" it means you phone is accessing the older technology instead of the newer VOLTE (Voice Over LTE) which would indicate your voice will be unavailable until the networks are updated or provisioning on the network is improved/resolved. Do you know which cellular network your Pure Talk is using ?
    They use AT&T, the letter H is above the bars, LTE is to the left of the bars. When I am in Tompkinsville, ky. I see both the H and LTE.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    They use AT&T, the letter H is above the bars, LTE is to the left of the bars. When I am in Tompkinsville, ky. I see both the H and LTE.
    If the indicators show as you explained, data is at the slower HSDPA (not 4G LTE) and voice is over VOLTE. I can't explain that.

Device(s)
    A71 5G, Pixel 3aXL, Moto G7 Power/E6/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    I don't think the phones are using VoLTE, either because it has not been switched on in your phone settings, or Pure Talk has not activated it on your account. You should call Pure Talk CS and ask if "HD Voice" (AT&T's term for VoLTE) has been activated on your account (for each line).

If you see both H and LTE in your phone's display, it probably means that data is on LTE, but voice is on HSPA (3G).

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post

If you see both H and LTE in your phone's display, it probably means that data is on LTE, but voice is on HSPA (3G).
    Both HSPA/HSPDA and LTE are data only. VOLTE combines voice and data. LTE coverage would prevent "H" from showing on the display. Voice has NEVER worked on HSPA.

See the related Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Speed_Packet_Access

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    Both HSPA/HSPDA and LTE are data only. VOLTE combines voice and data. LTE coverage would prevent "H" from showing on the display. Voice has NEVER worked on HSPA.

See the related Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Speed_Packet_Access
    However, Voice access can happen on the UMTS underlying network that runs HSDPA.
    Both ATT and T-Mobile used to show HSDPA on smart phones during a voice call even when using the UMTS network to indicate that data usage was also available.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    I don't think the phones are using VoLTE, either because it has not been switched on in your phone settings, or Pure Talk has not activated it on your account. You should call Pure Talk CS and ask if "HD Voice" (AT&T's term for VoLTE) has been activated on your account (for each line).

Thank you, I contacted them thru facebook, they acivated volte and hd and now I can call. thanks again for everyones help.

Device(s)
    A71 5G, Pixel 3aXL, Moto G7 Power/E6/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    However, Voice access can happen on the UMTS underlying network that runs HSDPA.
    Both ATT and T-Mobile used to show HSDPA on smart phones during a voice call even when using the UMTS network to indicate that data usage was also available.
    Exactly. I have phones on AT&T that are capable of VoLTE, but AT&T doesn't activate it for some MVNOs. When I make a voice call, the LTE indicator changes to H, for the voice. The LTE is still there, and wouldn't prevent the H from showing.