Thread: Unknown caller problem

Feedback Score

Unknown caller problem

I have a problem with calls from a friend. They come in with no called id, "unknown" gets displayed. If I answer it's him. The same calls to my wife's phone (same MVNO), the number is displayed correctly.
    I put my SIM in her phone and the call comes in "unknown". So I thought it might be the SIM card but installing a new one did not help. It seems pretty certain the problem is with the MVNO but they don't seem to be able to help, if they are even working on it.

Mike

Feedback Score
    Do you have your phone (especially YOUR SIM card) contained Contacts information which YOU entered, either automatically or manually?
    Did you add YOUR Contacts to your phone and your SIM card either automatically or manually?

(edited for better grammar)
    Last edited by joseg2016; 02-08-2021 at 06:55 PM. Reason: to use better grammar

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    Do you have your phone (especially YOUR SIM card) contained Contacts information which YOU entered, either automatically or manually?
    Did you add YOUR Contacts to your phone and your SIM card either automatically or manually?

(edited for better grammar)
    Automatically I think, the contacts have migrated along several models of the phone. Do the contacts have to be on the SIM card to be recognized?

Mike

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eznoh View Post
    Automatically I think, the contacts have migrated along several models of the phone. Do the contacts have to be on the SIM card to be recognized?

Mike
    No.
    10char
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.04.21

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    No.
    10char
    Might it help to copy all contacts to the SIM card?

Mike

Feedback Score

Mike
    On the SIM versus on-the-phone, I do not know which counts how. The reason I asked was because, when someone calls to the landline here, usually a resident or casual caller will show up on Caller ID screen as "Invalid Number" or "Unknown Name"; UNLESS we had entered the name and number of the caller into the Contacts system of the landline device. Then, the name of record AND the phone number are both shown on Caller ID when the person calls to the landline here. I was guessing the situation might be the same with a cellular phone.

I do not know for sure, so I plan to sit back and watch what members say on this subject.

Feedback Score
    Might it help to copy all contacts to the SIM card?

Mike
    I would not think so.

Feedback Score
    the issue is most likely on the callers end, your friend has most likely(possibly by accident) set his phone to block outbound caller ID when calling you number. or has enabled some sort of privacy caller ID blocking feature with his/her carrier.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    the issue is most likely on the callers end, your friend has most likely(possibly by accident) set his phone to block outbound caller ID when calling you number. or has enabled some sort of privacy caller ID blocking feature with his/her carrier.
    So just for my number and not my wife's??

Mike

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Do the contacts have to be on the SIM card to be recognized?
    That's almost impossible with modern phones. SIM cards have very little memory storage available for more than a few contacts. Modern phones store the contacts in their internal memory. SD cards have sufficient storage but not all phones have the option today like they used to just a few years ago.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    ^^This^^
    I have an account with big VZW and have caller ID blocking activated. When I call a number, they see 'Private Number' instead of my phone number. But for numbers in my contacts that I call frequently, I add *82 to their listed number; that unblocks my number so they know it's me calling.

So just for my number and not my wife's??

Mike
    Probably just an oversight on your friend's part to block their number when they call you ....