Thread: Has the "new" H2O service locked my new unlocked Moto G Power phone?

Feedback Score

Has the "new" H2O service locked my new unlocked Moto G Power phone?

Has the "new" H2O service locked my new unlocked Moto G Power phone?
    I would not know anything about it if it were not for the fact that I needed to turn on the hotspot on the phone with the H2O plan. I did not suspect that something could have changed. This option was available to me from the beginning.
    I need a hotspot not very often in cases where I need to use my laptop or tablet in places where there is no wi-fi service.
    I bought H2O LTE MINUTE for the first time in 2015. It was manually configured on the Asus ZenFone 2 at the local vendor shop. The main reason for this phone and low-cost plan was to want to use it while vacationing in Europe. To buy a local SIM card (TIM in Italy) for use mainly with Skype for contacts all over the world. After two years, in 2017, I changed the Asus phone to the Honor 7x. This time I bought a nanoSIM card directly from H2O, without changing my plan and phone number. APN auto configuration is set to PT USA / PRODATA. Hotspot and SIM swap work without any problems.
    Last December I bought an unlocked Moto G Power. And again I ordered nanoSIM directly from H2O. I activated this SIM for the same H2O LTE MINUTE / $10 plan and with a new phone number. APN auto configuration is set to PureRESELLERWAP / RESELLER.
    I was going to use it now as my main phone.
    My first surprise was a few weeks ago when I needed to use my laptop to get to my records during a visit to the doctor's office. The message says: "Account not set up for mobile hotspot ... Please visit myAT&T to change your plan". Now I know that: "4. Hotspot requires enrollment in the $60 Monthly Unlimited plan and the use of an eligible device."
    Of course I told H2O tech support that I still have hotspot options on my second phone, with only a $10 plan.
    There was no point in arguing with H2O, so I decided to swap SIM cards between phones. My understanding is that the complete configuration is stored on the card and swaps can be made between unlocked phones.
    Before swapping the SIM I deleted APNs from the phone. But after the Moto G Power reboot with the Honor 7x SIM card, I got an automatic message that there is a "new" configuration asking if I want to install it. Configuration was APN PureRESELLERWAP / RESELLER, no hotspot option. If the configuration is read from the SIM card, this should not be the case.
    Does this mean that my Moto G Power has been locked by the "new" H2O service (new owner)? Bringing my old card back to the Honor 7x does not change the configuration stored on the card.
    Can factory reset of the phone allow to swap SIM cards between phones? I would like to avoid this. That's why we buy unlocked phones, right?

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    You don't have to accept the APN pushed to your phone by H2O. Even after the fact you should be able to manually change the Moto G Power APN back to PRODATA. That might fix the hotspot problem. If it doesn't, try adding ,dun (no spaces before the comma) to the end of the "APN type" field in the PRODATA APN's details.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Feedback Score
    Ugh WOT & concise too.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.04.21

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    You don't have to accept the APN pushed to your phone by H2O. ...
    Thank you for your help and sorry for my late reply. Recently I can't catch a break.
    I tried many different options with H2O APNs this weekend and got into an even bigger mess.
    I did not accept the APN which is automatically sent by the service. Adding ",dun" to APN Type doesn't help. Hotspot can not be turned on.
    Now a strange thing. Both my SIM cards, the one from 2015 and the one from 2020, have hotspot options without a problem after installing them on my Honor 7x. And it doesn't matter if the APN is PRODATA or RESELLER. At least my newer SIM card with the new phone number should not have this option because AT&T requires min. $60 plan to have Hotspot service.
    If my Honor 7x was not 3 years old, I would certainly not worry. In many ways, the 2017 Honor 7x is a better phone than the 2020 Moto G Power. Of course, what's better with Moto G Power is a large battery. And I noticed that the LTE speed is twice as high on the speed test than on the Honor 7x.
    I find information online that in many cases Moto G Power has problems with the hotspot service.
    I will probably be looking for a Pay As You Go plan that has hotspot options and is in a similar price range to H2O. Admittedly, I haven't seen the $10/90 days plan anywhere. I don't know if it's worth trying the Google FI $ 20 plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    I suggest...
    Oh man! You are all over this forum.
    Can't sit still?

Personal insult removed by moderator.
    Last edited by Serial Port; 02-15-2021 at 10:49 AM.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yola21 View Post
    Thank you for your help and sorry for my late reply. Recently I can't catch a break.
    I tried many different options with H2O APNs this weekend and got into an even bigger mess.
    I did not accept the APN which is automatically sent by the service. Adding ",dun" to APN Type doesn't help. Hotspot can not be turned on.
    Now a strange thing. Both my SIM cards, the one from 2015 and the one from 2020, have hotspot options without a problem after installing them on my Honor 7x. And it doesn't matter if the APN is PRODATA or RESELLER. At least my newer SIM card with the new phone number should not have this option because AT&T requires min. $60 plan to have Hotspot service.
    If my Honor 7x was not 3 years old, I would certainly not worry. In many ways, the 2017 Honor 7x is a better phone than the 2020 Moto G Power. Of course, what's better with Moto G Power is a large battery. And I noticed that the LTE speed is twice as high on the speed test than on the Honor 7x.
    I find information online that in many cases Moto G Power has problems with the hotspot service.
    I will probably be looking for a Pay As You Go plan that has hotspot options and is in a similar price range to H2O. Admittedly, I haven't seen the $10/90 days plan anywhere. I don't know if it's worth trying the Google FI $ 20 plan.
    It appears that your Moto G Power reports hotspot usage to the carrier which then blocks hotspot as it's not supported on your plan. The Honor 7x does not report hotspot usage so it's not blocked.

I don't see anyway around that unless you want to go down the rabbit hole of rooting and applying arcane system level modifications. I can't help you with that. Plan on doing a lot of research on XDA-Developers if you decide to go that route.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    It appears that your Moto G Power reports hotspot usage to the carrier which then blocks hotspot as it's not supported on your plan. The Honor 7x does not report hotspot usage so it's not blocked...
    It makes sense. Honor 7x uses its own operating system and apparently does not feel compelled to notify the operator that the user is using a hotspot. Moto G Power, after enabling the hotspot option, gives a message that it checks if this option is available.
    Thank you for pointing this out.
    I could still check if the older Android version does the same check. I still have ASUS Zenfone, which has Android 6. But this information would not be useful to me anymore. Only recently, here in the US, I occasionally need to use the hotspot more often, but not enough to force me to buy a more expensive plan. When I finally manage to travel abroad, I hope that there will still be similar, very affordable plan offers with hotspot option, as two years ago. Here is the major rip off.

Feedback Score
    Was the Moto G Power originally locked to AT&T? This sounds like an experience I had with my LG Phoenix 2 originally locked to AT&T Prepaid. After I had it unlocked, and put it on a T-Mobile MVNO that allowed tethering, it still phoned home to AT&T to check for hotspot permission.

I used this procedure to fix. Root not required. Settings Database Editor app is called Set Edit now. You still might be called out on a Terms and Conditions violation with H2O, of course.

https://www.reddit.com/r/lgv20/comme..._att_phone_on/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thu1227 View Post
    Was the Moto G Power originally locked to AT&T?...
    I bought a Moto G Power last December unlocked from Amazon. I didn't know that some time ago AT&T changed the requirements, min $60 plan, to have Hotspot service.
    The case is over for me. As long as my Honor 7X is operational, I will use the hotspot if necessary.

Feedback Score
    LOL alternate accounts are cowardly.