Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Verizon won't catch T-Mobile with C-band

Device(s)
    1+ 8T 5G, Galaxy S20 5G, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Theghostlad82 View Post
    Correct they use their own staff, or, a set number of users. Are you claiming their staff is in the millions? Because that’s ooklas data points, millions of users. Root uses a set number of users in set locations, so I’ll ask again, why would that make it more accurate than millions of consumer data?
    If you look at CellMapper, you'd believe that T-Mobile's coverage is better than Verizon's. Why? Well, there are thousands of T-Mobile users who are interested in knowing where they have service and where they don't. So, they run CellMapper a lot. For whatever reasons, Verizon users aren't so interested in knowing this, so they don't run CellMapper so much.

Using crowd-sourced data has advantages and disadvantages, both ways. One is not inherently better or worse than the other. Each method needs to be understood.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Verizon won't catch T-Mobile with C-band

Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    If you look at CellMapper, you'd believe that T-Mobile's coverage is better than Verizon's. Why? Well, there are thousands of T-Mobile users who are interested in knowing where they have service and where they don't. So, they run CellMapper a lot. For whatever reasons, Verizon users aren't so interested in knowing this, so they don't run CellMapper so much.

Using crowd-sourced data has advantages and disadvantages, both ways. One is not inherently better or worse than the other. Each method needs to be understood.
    With a tech centric app like cell mapper I would agree with this, however ooklas Speedtest app is really the only app people download and use for speed tests. Techies and non techies alike. I agree, one isn’t better or worse, and one doesn’t show the full story on its own, when you combine them all though, and look at what each one is actually saying, it does paint a much clearer picture. Root has its place in testing and their results shouldn’t just be overlooked, but, when it comes to speed and performance testing, ooklas tests are pretty much the king and are the most reliable and sought after awards among the carriers. It’s hard to argue against their data. They have the most data to use to reach their conclusions. They even are able to make coverage maps for the carriers based on their users that are highly accurate.
    Last edited by Theghostlad82; 02-26-2021 at 05:55 PM.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I run 2 phones here. 1 phone is my personal AT&T phone that I run cellmapper on there for 3 different people using App Cloner so, it maps everywhere I go and uploads automatically. The other phone a Moto G7 dual sim run cellmapper for Verizon & Tmobile and runs App Cloner for my brother & I to get up there on points but mostly to map and show users where there will and will not have a good signal from all 3 carriers. By the way I use a booster in the car that allows all 3 carriers to be mapped for highest signal level.
    Phone: AT&T Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G
    Plan: AT&T Unlimited Plus Multi-Line 4 7 Phones, Hotspot, & Connected Car $255.00/mo.
    Ins: AT&T Multi-Device Protection Pack $39.99

AirTouch: (VZW Now) 9/97-7/2001 (MicroT-A-C Lite II Retired & Still Have 2 This Date) & Motorola SC-725 Retired
    Nextel: 7/01 - 10/10 (i2k+, i95cl, i860, i930, & i680 Retired)
    Sprint: 6/08 - 12/19/17 (ic902, v950, Blackberry Bold 9650/9930, Galaxy Note 2, 3, 4, & 8 Retired)
    Airave: 06/2010 - 12/19/17
    AT&T: 12/19/17 - Current

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    I'm pretty sure at&t doesn't have 5G specific plans
    If you are saying AT&T doesn't have plans that only work on 5G, I agree. All their existing plans still support 3G and LTE. But not all their existing plans support 5G.
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current primary phone. No plans to upgrade plan to 5G.

Feedback Score
    This is highly inaccurate. Unless you have evidence showing “most 3rd party tests” ranking T-Mobile last? You made that up to justify your own personal beliefs. It’s common online actually, people just make stuff up to justify personal biases and think others will just blindly agree.

Ahh yes, the old congestion excuse, you’d think a company as big as Verizon would of done something to try to relieve that problem years ago……..pathetic.
    Meanwhile when I travel outside urban areas my T-Mobile line cuts out more than the other two. Pathetic in 2021

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    Meanwhile when I travel outside urban areas my T-Mobile line cuts out more than the other two. Pathetic in 2021
    Depends what areas though. What’s more pathetic though is that the coverage claims can be so close. As stated in an earlier post, Verizon spent twice, and sometimes triple what T-Mobile spent yearly on their network over the last 10 years, not to mention T-Mobile didn’t have any low band spectrum at all until 2014, and yet, Verizon did nothing to separate themselves in any meaningful way with that huge financial advantage. Verizons network performance has decreased, all without any huge gain in subscriber count, and they did nothing to try to remedy this situation before now. This is also all while having the strictest deprioritization practices in the industry. This is what’s truly pathetic. That they sat there and did nothing, while the (at the time) last place carrier, found ways to not only improve their network on a shoestring budget, but also planned ahead to meet the data needs for future customers as well. The fact that apologists will excuse this behavior from Verizon is mind boggling.

Feedback Score

Depends what areas though. What’s more pathetic though is that the coverage claims can be so close. As stated in an earlier post, Verizon spent twice, and sometimes triple what T-Mobile spent yearly on their network over the last 10 years, not to mention T-Mobile didn’t have any low band spectrum at all until 2014, and yet, Verizon did nothing to separate themselves in any meaningful way with that huge financial advantage. Verizons network performance has decreased, all without any huge gain in subscriber count, and they did nothing to try to remedy this situation before now. This is also all while having the strictest deprioritization practices in the industry. This is what’s truly pathetic. That they sat there and did nothing, while the (at the time) last place carrier, found ways to not only improve their network on a shoestring budget, but also planned ahead to meet the data needs for future customers as well. The fact that apologists will excuse this behavior from Verizon is mind boggling.
    I only go by my experience . I rather have consistent coverage and 20-30 mbps all day, than claims to be the “5G” leader when coverage craps out traveling. AT&T and Verizon don’t do that. That’s why extensive Rootmetrics testing tells the story. T-Mobile needs to build more rural sites. I’m rooting them on....

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    I only go by my experience . I rather have consistent coverage and 20-30 mbps all day, than claims to be the “5G” leader when coverage craps out traveling. AT&T and Verizon don’t do that. That’s why extensive Rootmetrics testing tells the story. T-Mobile needs to build more rural sites. I’m rooting them on....
    Funny you bring up AT&T, because with both at&t and T-Mobile you see a plan, and you see an execution of that plan. Both carriers have improved their networks drastically on a national scale. Verizon on the other hand, sat there, took in billions, and put up some 5G nodes in a few cities so you have to stay within feet of those blocks to see any improvements speed at all, and called it a day. As I originally said, it’s pathetic. Yes, root has its place in testing, if you take into account what it actually is going into it. It’s a set number of people, running a test in a set number of locations. Where other tests show data from millions of users, in millions of locations.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    As stated in an earlier post, Verizon spent twice, and sometimes triple what T-Mobile spent yearly on their network over the last 10 years, not to mention T-Mobile didn’t have any low band spectrum at all until 2014, and yet, Verizon did nothing to separate themselves in any meaningful way with that huge financial.
    Not all of Verizon’s CAPEX goes into new towers. Verizon spends a ton of money on redundancies like additional fiber lays, back up servers/data centers, and generators. This spending is not seen until there is some type of disaster/emergency and the network stays running.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score

One plan I certainly disagree with is T-Mobile backing off on small cells. They’ve admitted to it. Verizon and AT&T have linked deals with companies to deploy thousands in the coming years. T-Mobile is busy with n41 and the deployments have been rapid. However you can’t just deploy n41 on macro sites and call it a day. Macro capacity is finite and it’s a must for T-Mobile to deploy n41 on small cells.
    Last edited by Checker79; 03-02-2021 at 07:34 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    Not all of Verizon’s CAPEX goes into new towers. Verizon spends a ton of money on redundancies like additional fiber lays, back up servers/data centers, and generators. This spending is not seen until there is some type of disaster/emergency and the network stays running.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Valid point, but, Verizon had years to prepare for today, and did nothing but let the competition overtake them in terms of network performance. Despite them holding a huge financial advantage over one (T-Mobile) and the other being disinterested and distracted from wireless for years (AT&T). Verizon, right now, being last, and a follower in 5G is, as I said, pathetic. The other 2 being so close in any tests, and beating them in others in anything, is pathetic.

I know a lot of people want to say “who cares about 5G, 20 down is fast enough for me now and LTE serves all my needs”. This is true in today’s world, but let’s look back, 2G made mms and picture messaging possible, right when 2G was launched im sure people said they had zero use for 2G. 3G made the modern smartphones and the world of apps possible, without 3G networks to support them, you don’t have Facebook, Twitter, you tube, Instagram, or any of the millions of apps that became popular during the 3G era gaining any type of traction, because networks wouldn’t be able to support it. I’m sure people at the time said they didn’t care about 3G, 2G was enough. 4G brought in the streaming era, you were now able to stream movies, music, whatever you wanted, right to your device. Video and conference calling took off, people were more connected than ever before. This doesn’t happen without LTE. This is why 5G is important. Yes, it may seem “useless” now, but, it will become part of our lives. This is why being a 5G leader is important as well. Verizon was a leader in 3G, was a leader in 4G, then, for some reason, never saw the need going forward to progress after that. They had ample warning data usage would only increase, that customer demand on data networks would only increase, that capacity would become an issue, they did virtually nothing. This is pathetic.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4