Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Accelerating Push to Digitalize Sales: Layoffs, Severances and Store Closures Coming

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Verizon Accelerating Push to Digitalize Sales: Layoffs, Severances and Store Closures Coming

Name:  IMG_0126.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  61.2 KB

Jeff Moore (@wave7jeff) Tweeted:
    . @verizon CEO Hans Vestberg recently said that companies "leapfrogged five to seven years in the digital revolution" due to the pandemic. The consequence of this is a big retail cutback, as detailed in a Wave7 report out today. Worse than it looks.

https://t.co/8sWbgO267M https://twitter.com/wave7jeff/status...727391237?s=20

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Verizon Accelerating Push to Digitalize Sales: Layoffs, Severances and Store Closures Coming

Anyone think that the potential $40+ billion dollar C-Band spending spree along with the multi-billion Tracfone acquisition is spurring this?

https://youtube.com/c/Techlifechannelwelcome

Device(s)
    OnePlus 8T, Apple iPad Air 4th Gen (WiFi), Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Anyone think that the potential $40+ billion dollar C-Band spending spree along with the multi-billion Tracfone acquisition is spurring this?

https://youtube.com/c/Techlifechannelwelcome
    Likely helped, but even at that retail jobs have been on a losing streak even before the pandemic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    So Verizon prefers the small kiosk model over the brick and mortar in an effort to cut costs and plans to improve the online experience for more self service options.

I wonder if the other 2 will follow suit?

Feedback Score
    The pandemic just accelerated a trend. Work from home for a lot of support staff is now a lot more normal.

My wife got a job last year on a former "call center" position, but working from home. She received an VPN hardware adapter, a desk phone with headset.
    She uses our office room, our internet, our laptop (they sent only a memory stick to boot up on the company VPN remote Windows 10).
    So that company saves a ton of money on rent, maintenance, HVAC and utilities... They just have to maintain a server with a bunch of virtual Windows 10 machines.

Device(s)
    Samsung N9
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Some folks don't have good broadband. Some folks suffer from horific docsis or worse . If fios/ FTTH were available in more areas then yes I can see Work from home a permanent solution .

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    LTE its the network !

Feedback Score
    I kind of agree with that. I have used at my residence both Coax (DOCSIS 3.0) and FIOS multiple times (taking advantage of "new subscriber" offers to jump between them).
    My FIOS two year contract expired last year, but I stayed with them because their high limit and stable upload speeds than makes work from home possible. The cable cannot even start to compete, unless they change their plans.

Feedback Score
    I kind of agree with that. I have used at my residence both Coax (DOCSIS 3.0) and FIOS multiple times (taking advantage of "new subscriber" offers to jump between them).
    My FIOS two year contract expired last year, but I stayed with them because their high limit and stable upload speeds than makes work from home possible. The cable cannot even start to compete, unless they change their plans to include more upload speed.
    I am looking at 35Mbps now, even for their "Gigablast" plans... ridiculous. Cheapest FIOS plan has 200 Mbps symmetrical.
    The DOCSIS 3.0 can do up to 200Mbps and 3.1 up to 1Gbps uploads.

Device(s)
    Iphone Xs, Ipad Pro 11"
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Not surprised, they have been pushing for this for awhile with fees in store being more than online.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    My FIOS two year contract expired last year, but I stayed with them because their high limit and stable upload speeds than makes work from home possible. The cable cannot even start to compete, unless they change their plans to include more upload speed.
    I am looking at 35Mbps now, even for their "Gigablast" plans... ridiculous. Cheapest FIOS plan has 200 Mbps symmetrical.
    The DOCSIS 3.0 can do up to 200Mbps and 3.1 up to 1Gbps uploads.
    You do realize that cable can't do symmetrical uploads like 200/200 currently. It's technical issue. cable is several years away form a solution that offers much more than 50 Mbps on upload

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    You do realize that cable can't do symmetrical uploads like 200/200 currently. It's technical issue. cable is several years away form a solution that offers much more than 50 Mbps on upload
    Ahh so that’s want Spectrum only gives me 400/20!

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max / iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Jeff Moore (@wave7jeff) Tweeted:
    . @verizon CEO Hans Vestberg recently said that companies "leapfrogged five to seven years in the digital revolution" due to the pandemic. The consequence of this is a big retail cutback, as detailed in a Wave7 report out today. Worse than it looks.
    Covid 19 is accelerating the online sales/retail, remote work, curbside pickup/drive thru, and smaller footprint for in-store retail models.
    With online sales/retail, remote work, curbside pickup/drive thru and smaller footprint for in-store retail you don't need the overhead of a large workforce and physical space and can accomplish the same (if not more) amount of work, I think it was going to eventually happen as companies learn to automate and find ways to reduce their fixed costs, but the pandemic has made it faster in order to reduce the contagion. Permanent layoffs were bound to happen, but the rate at which it is happening is also placing stress on our unemployment agencies as they struggle to process claims and deal with fraud at the same time.

I can see the remaining corporate stores turned into either mini-distribution points for the sending of online orders or "experience centers". Once holograms/AI can do stuff like sales and tech support, then you'll more jobs go away, but for now, they're simply adjusting to less customer traffic in their retail stores.

Feedback Score
    This is a mistake. Real customer service is people with equipment and skills who can interact DIRECTLY with customers and devices, in-person, LIVE.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    This is a mistake. Real customer service is people with equipment and skills who can interact DIRECTLY with customers and devices, in-person, LIVE.
    Thing is people helping you with your problem cannot make a sale as they're busy "helping" you.. so they're not making money on you interacting with that person.. thus they just want that problem to "go away"

Ahh so that’s want Spectrum only gives me 400/20!

Yup.. right now you're sharing ~120-150Mbps upload on your entire node, for your entire block (or however many Spectrum/Comcast/whatever has connected to that particular point.. usually anywhere from 50-250 houses)

They just hope not everyone needs to use upload all at once.

Cox has been doing some "mid split" enabling ~250Mbps upstream in some areas (i've seen it in Phoenix) but they're on the high end of "houses per node" than Spectrum and Comcast.. so it does not surprise me one bit they're employing it to get out of plant upgrades.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Feedback Score
    brad15 gave response:
    Thing is people helping you with your problem cannot make a sale as they're busy "helping" you.. so they're not making money on you interacting with that person.. thus they just want that problem to "go away"
    Yes and that is how the company running the brick and morter store loses customers, so another company (even if without any brick&morter store) MAKES A SALE - OR TWO ---

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast