Thread: HSN/QVC bundle, then back to old phone

Device(s)
    Moto g6
    Feedback Score

Question HSN/QVC bundle, then back to old phone

So for the past few years, I've been buying a new phone from either HSN or QVC, which always come bundled with the 1200 or1500 + 365 days of service. This year I actually want to keep my g6, as nothing currently being offered impresses me.

The most economical way for me to get another year of service is to purchase and activate one of the cheap $50 bundled phones. That seems pretty straight forward, just activate the new SIM with the "keep my existing number" option.

The part that I'm less familiar and comfortable with is going back to the g6 after I get the bundled year + minutes on the account. For those of you with recent experience doing this, what is the most foolproof way to go about it?

All of this will take place using Tracfone branded phones with VZW SIM cards, no change of carrier network involved. The g6 is not unlocked. I've heard that VZW has been cracking down lately on swapping SIM cards without the second phone's IMEI being properly married to the SIM, so I don't want to simply move the SIM back to the g6, potentially getting screwed in the process.

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tracfoner69 View Post
    The part that I'm less familiar and comfortable with is going back to the g6 after I get the bundled year + minutes on the account. For those of you with recent experience doing this, what is the most foolproof way to go about it
    Use chat. First ask for your current balance to have it in the transcript. Then ask the rep to (re)activate the G6 with a transfer from the new phone. After that's done, ask for a ticket number, then copy-and-paste the transcript to a file and save it for record.

Device(s)
    LG 290C
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Personally, I would just have both phones in the same online Tracfone account and do both transactions online through the automated system. It should be foolproof and I like to avoid using a Tracfone rep at all costs.

1. Activate the new phone and keep the number from your current one. Everything should transfer almost instantly and you'll be up and running with the new balances.

2. After everything looks settled in the online accounts, click activate on your G6, select your number as the one to keep, and it should all slide nicely back--again pretty much instantly.

I understand the concern folks have of losing balances, but personally, I still see that as a risk with an agent, but practically 0 chance with the online system.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfoner View Post
    Personally, I would just have both phones in the same online Tracfone account and do both transactions online through the automated system. It should be foolproof and I like to avoid using a Tracfone rep at all costs.

1. Activate the new phone and keep the number from your current one. Everything should transfer almost instantly and you'll be up and running with the new balances.

2. After everything looks settled in the online accounts, click activate on your G6, select your number as the one to keep, and it should all slide nicely back--again pretty much instantly.

I understand the concern folks have of losing balances, but personally, I still see that as a risk with an agent, but practically 0 chance with the online system.
    I'm all for the 'less human' touch, but I'm missing something. In step 1, the New Phone is activated with old number and balance. Are you saying that the automated system will automatically add on the 'extra' service bought (the 1 year 1500talk/text/data) when it consolidates your existing balance? Have you done this succesfully? I guess most people are concerned that the service gets 'lost in space' upon activating an old account.

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Not using a rep to do a transfer/activation is similar to not carrying insurance for your own car. If it's a junk car/throwaway number or has little value and you don't care what happens to it, fine. Otherwise, when/if something bad happens, you will wish you had used a rep.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pitflyer View Post
    I'm all for the 'less human' touch, but I'm missing something. In step 1, the New Phone is activated with old number and balance. Are you saying that the automated system will automatically add on the 'extra' service bought (the 1 year 1500talk/text/data) when it consolidates your existing balance?
    Yes.

Have you done this succesfully? I guess most people are concerned that the service gets 'lost in space' upon activating an old account.
    Yes, I have done this several times with no problems by chat and the online web system. I only did it online with a donor phone that had trivial service units and service time. If you do it online and something goes wrong you have no recourse other than dealing with the BBB and executive resolutions. That is an exceedingly tedious process.

If you do it by online chat after having the agent document your existing balances, they may be able to fix it if something goes wrong.

It is much better than it used to be a few years ago. We rarely hear of transfers going wrong anymore.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm all for the 'less human' touch, but I'm missing something. In step 1, the New Phone is activated with old number and balance. Are you saying that the automated system will automatically add on the 'extra' service bought (the 1 year 1500talk/text/data) when it consolidates your existing balance? Have you done this succesfully? I guess most people are concerned that the service gets 'lost in space' upon activating an old account.
    I've done several transfers like that using the online (app) system. I activated byop sims with a year of service, then transferred to a bundle phone. All were ATT or TMO to Verizon, and they still went perfectly. All airtime appeared (2 years total) and number transferred. I did wait at least a day between activation and transfer. My superstition-level belief is that Tracfone can handle one single change at a time, but gets easily confused with two or more changes.

Device(s)
    LG 290C
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I have done many many transfers online in the past year. The only transfer that you should not do online is from an unlimited line to a sim/phone preloaded with the standard buckets. Every other transfer is smooth and seamless. And you can swap between devices easily, too.

I fully appreciate the sentiment folks have for insurance/assurance. And I believe this was much more true in the past. However, lately my experiences have led me to trust the online system far more than the chat. The chat is still very reliable overall—I’ve used them a lot too in the last year—but for speed, efficiency, and a predictable outcome, I’ll go with the website whenever possible.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Has anyone tried chatting with Tracfone and asking the CSR to detach the newly activated phone`s IMEI from the newly activated SIM and then attach the newly activated SIM to the old phone`s IMEI? Then you SIM swap from the new phone to the old phone.
    This seems simpler than a transfer of service... except if it is all-new and scary for the CSR to attempt. But isn't this what they do if you SIM swap, the phone stops working, and you contact CS to fix it? Maybe Tracfone would see this is easier/safer than a service transfer, once the CSR`s become familiar with the process.
    Now for your thoughts!

Feedback Score
    So an IMEI swap. They would have to do this if someone got a new phone. Page Plus does this automatically, I hear. So it must not be a big deal.

Device(s)
    Moto g6
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfoner View Post
    This is exactly what I was planning on doing. Glad to hear that the online process has been smoothed out over the years.

Device(s)
    Moto g6
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I've done it numerous times over the past few years with pre-loaded phones from both HSN and QVC. The bundled balance is tied to the new SIM that comes with the phone, and when you transfer your existing number to the new SIM, it carries with it your existing balance plus the pre-loaded balance. I have never had an issue with losing any balance or getting screwed out of the bundled/pre-loaded balance in the process.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    At least chat and get your remaining airtime documented and then immediately do the transfer-activation.