Thread: Are there any Esim Hot Spots ? or 5G Hotspots ?

Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score

Are there any Esim Hot Spots ? or 5G Hotspots ?

Are there any Hot spots that will work with an Esim ?

or 5G Hotspots ,

I was thinking the Esim would be nice to have when we get back to traveling
    not sure why I would need a 5G one , but thought I would ask

Thanks for the info

I do have a free Tmobile Hotspot when they were giving them away last year ......
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

Feedback Score
    any specific reason for a dedicated hotspot versus a phone with hotspot capabilities? with eSIM typically provisioned with iOS and Android apps a phone would provide the most flexibility and can typically use data only eSIM's and physical SIMs

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trackVW View Post
    Are there any Hot spots that will work with an Esim ?

or 5G Hotspots ,

I was thinking the Esim would be nice to have when we get back to traveling
    not sure why I would need a 5G one , but thought I would ask

Thanks for the info

I do have a free Tmobile Hotspot when they were giving them away last year ......
    I don't think there's much traction for eSIM on hotspots at the moment, but for 5G hotspots, there are a few options, typically needs the right plan and are often carrier-specific and a bit expensive:

T-Mobile and Verizon both sell an Inseego unit:
    https://www.t-mobile.com/tablet/inseego-5g-mifi-m2000
    https://www.verizon.com/internet-dev...i-m2100-5g-uw/

T-Mobile allows it and 5G on all their mobile internet plans (even prepaid), which includes the $50/100GB option.

AT&T seems to be team Netgear with this one:
    https://www.att.com/buy/connected-de...pro-black.html

They have their own prepaid 5G data-only plans, too: https://www.att.com/prepaid/mobile-hotspot-tablet/

Just curious, but what T-Mobile hotspot do you have? Those have typically not had carrier aggregation and been on the cheap side of things (which is fine for a giveaway to show "coverage"), but if it's the T9, it supports quite a few LTE bands and is fairly easy to unlock, which could offer you some flexibility in the meantime.

Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    any specific reason for a dedicated hotspot versus a phone with hotspot capabilities? with eSIM typically provisioned with iOS and Android apps a phone would provide the most flexibility and can typically use data only eSIM's and physical SIMs
    Thanks for your reply ,

The Esim Hot spot would be used by a couple people with phones and tablets ,

I guess I could also use a phone with Esim as a Hotspot but I do not see many cheap $100 phones with Esim ,

Cheers

Feedback Score
    Why the focus on eSIM versus a chip SIM?

If you set up a T-Mobile Prepaid hotspot, you can let it sit inactive up to a year and activate a monthly or short term data pass as needed. Fine print at the bottom of this page:

https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/prepaid-internet

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work phone / T-Mobile (iPad) / Sprint (personal phone) / AT&T MVNO (for fun)!
    Feedback Score
    I think the attractiveness of eSIM is when traveling outside the US and the ability to buy a local data plan without having to find a store. I’ve not seen a mobile hotspot with an eSIM and I’d guess we’re not likely to see one that has the same ability to buy right on the device like the iOS devices can do right now.

I say that because it probably takes some coding and infrastructure to get the carriers to participate and a company like Inseego or Netgear isn’t likely to make that investment for a very small market. It makes sense for Android and iOS to offer this given the large installed user base.