Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

Thread: hangouts diaer to "Google Voice"

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    14,313
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_D View Post
    I still can't make a call on both phones and tried app's every settings. I can text, but dialer icon is missing on both phones. And even downloaded the new version of Hangouts from app store and dialer icon is still missing.

    May be it have something to do with me using Hangouts app with the same number on two different phones.
    Did you accidentally uninstall Hangouts Dialer by chance? https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hangoutsdialer

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    110
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Did you accidentally uninstall Hangouts Dialer by chance? https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hangoutsdialer
    I downloaded the app from your link and dialer icon is still missing. When I opened it, it came with a warning that this app was made for older version of Android and may not function properly with new android version (my phone is Android 10). That might explain the missing dialer function.

    It seem Google wants everybody to switch over to Google Voice app. I been using it for few days and like it better than Hangouts app. It is more functional.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    14,313
    Feedback Score
    0
    That's interesting. I'm not sure what's happing in your situation.

    I use Hangouts with no issues on a Pixel 3a XL with Android 11 daily and a Moto E4 with Android 7 occasionally.

    There are some extremely annoying issues that Google refuses to fix in the GV app that will keep me using Hangouts until I no longer can.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    BFE
    Posts
    8,636
    Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_D View Post
    It seem Google wants everybody to switch over to Google Voice app.
    Exactly that. They have made it clear.
    Hangouts is going away.

    Just another in the long line of services/apps Google has launched then killed off.

    https://www.slashgear.com/as-google-...fare-15642824/

    This has been a slow death going back to 2017 at least.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    14,313
    Feedback Score
    0
    Tony_D:

    Are you using your GV # through Hangouts to try to place calls? In other words, are you signed into the Google account associated with your GV # in Hangouts when you try to place calls?

    Part of the article ST Dog posted reminded me that Hangouts has/had a feature that I never personally used where real phone #s could be called without actually using a GV #, so I'm just wondering what you were actually doing. Thanks!

    "From early in 2021, Google plans to remove the “call phones” feature in Hangouts. There’ll be notifications warning users of that deadline from this month, along with instructions on how to get a refund on any calling credits you might have in the app. Google says it’s a reaction to the upcoming telecoms regulation changes that the EU and US are bringing in come 2021."

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    225
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Part of the article ST Dog posted reminded me that Hangouts has/had a feature that I never personally used where real phone #s could be called without actually using a GV #,
    I have used that feature. It is very useful because it shows "Unknown caller" on caller id. You can only use it if you have a gmail account WITHOUT a GV number associated with the account.

    On a slightly different note - regarding Google Voice - is it possible for the GV app to turn on your LTE data if/when you're not connected to wifi? So kinda like the app wants to do some background sync or whatever, and you're not on wifi, so it turns on your LTE data?

    I ask because I changed the sim card in my phone recently - I moved from FreeUp's free plan (that had zero data allotment) to Tracfone-AT&T byop bundled minutes/texts/data. I religiously keep my data off, and I am on wifi almost all the time. But I noticed on a couple occasions that my LTE data had switched on by itself. Which was pretty spooky. I thought maybe my wifi dropped for some reason and GV wanted data to do some backups or whatever, and so it turned on my Tracfone data? Is that possible? Or is there some other explanation?

    TIA for any help.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    14,313
    Feedback Score
    0
    I haven't heard about the GV app being able to turn on cellular data, but I don't know for sure.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    110
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Tony_D:

    Are you using your GV # through Hangouts to try to place calls? In other words, are you signed into the Google account associated with your GV # in Hangouts when you try to place calls?

    Part of the article ST Dog posted reminded me that Hangouts has/had a feature that I never personally used where real phone #s could be called without actually using a GV #, so I'm just wondering what you were actually doing. Thanks!

    "From early in 2021, Google plans to remove the “call phones” feature in Hangouts. There’ll be notifications warning users of that deadline from this month, along with instructions on how to get a refund on any calling credits you might have in the app. Google says it’s a reaction to the upcoming telecoms regulation changes that the EU and US are bringing in come 2021."
    Going by paragraph you quoted from the link ST Dog provided, I was thinking that one reason you are still be able to make phone calls using Hangouts might be that you may have an monetary account with Google with calling credit. Thus Google have to notify you "officially" as to date of Hangouts calling protocol termination.

    I didn't have an account with Google, so that maybe why mine was terminated without any warning.

    As to your first question, the Hangouts app I was using was link to my Google account and number.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    110
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jettable View Post
    On a slightly different note - regarding Google Voice - is it possible for the GV app to turn on your LTE data if/when you're not connected to wifi? So kinda like the app wants to do some background sync or whatever, and you're not on wifi, so it turns on your LTE data?

    I ask because I changed the sim card in my phone recently - I moved from FreeUp's free plan (that had zero data allotment) to Tracfone-AT&T byop bundled minutes/texts/data. I religiously keep my data off, and I am on wifi almost all the time. But I noticed on a couple occasions that my LTE data had switched on by itself. Which was pretty spooky. I thought maybe my wifi dropped for some reason and GV wanted data to do some backups or whatever, and so it turned on my Tracfone data? Is that possible? Or is there some other explanation?

    TIA for any help.
    I am also religiously keep my data off. This might be cumbersome, but I went thru each app in my phone and restrict their sync and background activity. And make sure in the WI-FI setting, you limit phone app's updates to WIFI connection only.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    14,313
    Feedback Score
    0
    I use 2 GV #s via Hangouts on my phone. One of the Google accounts has a $5 calling credit, but the other has $0. I just tested both, and both still work for outgoing and incoming calls and texts.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,558
    Feedback Score
    0
    I too noticed Data being turned on for some reason. I found that the Tracfone My Account app was probably the culprit. If you have the app installed, go into the menu and find Network settings and turn off Network optimizer. That was a long time ago that I turned it off so don't know if TF changed the behavior of the app but I don't trust TF to "optimize" anything. Also, I never run the TF widget.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    US
    Posts
    5
    Device(s)
    LG V30+, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5E
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    There was a time when it looked like Obihai was going to loose access too.
    Is that a likely scenario again with this switch to the GV app from Hangouts? I don't think so but I'm always concerned as I use my Obihai via GV for all calls when I'm home. I really like having access to my cell phone's calendar, text, and email while talking on the phone, or on hold, etc. I had to replace my old Obi100 a couple years ago due to compatibility w/ GV.

    Has anyone else had a negative experience switching to the GV app? I noticed there are certain MMS w/ video that Hangouts can't display but they work fine in GV. I'm paranoid on this too, as I'm guessing Google won't let me switch back if I don't love it.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    BFE
    Posts
    8,636
    Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by charlienyc View Post
    Is that a likely scenario again with this switch to the GV app from Hangouts? I don't think so but I'm always concerned
    No I don't think so. Obi made a deal and uses the new protocol (that's why some units had to be replaced) with Google's blessing. Hangouts has nothing to do with it.


    As for switching back, no clue. But since Hangout will eventually die, I don't see much point. Get used to the new normal. I tested my usage with both for a while then dripped hangouts. It did nothing I needed that GV didn't do at least as well.

    I only even used Hangouts for the GV dialer option. Even the old GV apologize was fine for me.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    US
    Posts
    5
    Device(s)
    LG V30+, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5E
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    As for switching back, no clue. But since Hangout will eventually die, I don't see much point. Get used to the new normal. I tested my usage with both for a while then dripped hangouts. It did nothing I needed that GV didn't do at least as well.
    So I tried GV for texts. It was awful. I got no notifications when messages came in. I had to open the app to check, finding I had messages sitting there for hours. And it still doesn't support sending videos. If this is the new normal, I'm dumping GV and porting my number out.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    14,313
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'm sticking with Hangouts for my 2 primary GV #s until the bitter end. Although Google has actually been working on some of the GV app issues I've been reporting for over 2 years, and has actually fixed some of them, it's still a work in progress and has a ways to go to be as good as Hangouts is.

    I did get a 3rd GV # in early 2019 for the purpose of testing the "new" GV app. So far, it does ring for incoming calls, and I do get text notifications. I primarily use my GV #s on a Pixel 3a XL and a Moto E4 XT1768.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Another reason to have Google Voice
    By unplugged in forum Google Voice
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-04-2009, 10:34 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-26-2009, 05:20 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-12-2009, 01:45 PM
  4. Question about texting to/from Google Voice to AT&T
    By Relztrah in forum AT&T Regular Phones
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-07-2009, 11:43 AM
  5. AT&T Wants FCC to Probe Google Voice
    By Andre71 in forum AT&T
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-27-2009, 03:35 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks