Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: hangouts diaer to "Google Voice"

Device(s)
    LG Premier Pro Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone / Verizon
    Feedback Score

hangouts diaer to "Google Voice"

On looking at a voicemail from my Handouts Dialer app I was directed to "Google Voice" It appears it will take over what Hangouts Dialer did? ? I am always a bit reluctant to just jump onboard. Figured someone would benefit, besides me, on views of "Google Voice".
    Is it an app? Can it run from your laptop as well (It appears so)?

Any pitfalls to watch out for?

Does it still use the same number I had for "Hangouts"?
    I was born with nothing and have managed to keep most of it.
    When I was a kid rocks were soft and dirt was new.

LG Rebel 4(current house phone) -> LG Premier Pro Plus(my pack along)

Feedback Score
    I have had hangouts on my iPad for a few years. I recently installed Google Voice on my iPad. I used my same hangouts number. It was easy to set and seems to work just fine.

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vljenewein View Post
    On looking at a voicemail from my Handouts Dialer app I was directed to "Google Voice" It appears it will take over what Hangouts Dialer did? ? I am always a bit reluctant to just jump onboard. Figured someone would benefit, besides me, on views of "Google Voice".
    Is it an app? Can it run from your laptop as well (It appears so)?
    Google Voice is an app from Google to replace the function of the Hangouts Dialer. It works wherever the Hangouts Dialer used to work.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Well, lets get some things straight: Google Voice existed before Hangouts did (if not a full-fledged app, then at least a service).

And any phone number being used on Hangouts that can be used to call out onto the actual PSTN has to have come from establishing a Google Voice account at some point (which is affiliated with a Gmail account with the same credentials - as is the Hangouts account).

The GV service came (relatively) first, then Hangouts (which was originally and still is an Instant Messaging service), then eventually the Dialer for it came along to allow for Wi-Fi calling, being closely associated with the Google Voice account of the user.

All of these can be used on their own respective web pages if desired.

But Hangouts is now in the final processes of being phased out, which is why prompts are appearing to get calling off it and over to GV.

The IM function of Hangouts is supposed to be replaced by a new consumer version of Google Chat (there's already a version for the corporate/enterprise level accessed through Google Workspace). It's not getting very good reviews, however.

Hangouts was a pretty good and versatile product. IM (solo and group), voice calling, and video calling (and a surrogate for your native SMS app for a while).

Feedback Score
    whacker is 100% right.

The reason I and others sometimes get confused in saying the GV app is a replacement for the Hangouts app, implying that Hangouts was first, is because until sometime in 2018, the GV app had no VoIP capabilities, whereas Hangouts had that for quite a while.

I've used my GV #s over DATA ONLY for all my calls and messaging, since March, 2017, in the US, Canada, and Europe.

I plan to continue using Hangouts with my 2 primary GV #s until it's decommissioned, because there are still too many shortcomings of the GV app compared to Hangouts that somehow still haven't been fixed.

I also have a 3rd GV # that I have used for testing the GV app's VoIP capabilities since January, 2019. The primary functions of calling and texting work fine, but like I said, there are other issues that still need to be fixed.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    And I often forget that Hangouts did precede GV in its ability to do VoIP, although now that I think of it I can remember the joy throughout the land when it appeared ready for calling and the Dialer became available.

The changes keep on coming, but figuring out Google and their messaging apps has a lot of us scratching our heads.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    And I often forget that Hangouts did precede GV in its ability to do VoIP
    Except there were ways to use GV for VoIP long before Hangouts, just not the Google Voice app. I used GrooVeIP for a while in 2012. Then Google decided to not allow 3rd party apps access to the XMPP/Jabber interface I'm 2013.
    https://androidcommunity.com/groove-...nges-20131104/

There was a time when it looked like Obihai was going to loose access too.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Wow, I'd forgotten that. I used GrooVeIP for a time as well. There was one other service on that level which started with a T; can't recall the name.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    Wow, I'd forgotten that. I used GrooVeIP for a time as well. There was one other service on that level which started with a T; can't recall the name.
    Was it Talkatone? I used that with GV way back when...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Yep, that's it. Talkatone.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a (rooted) A11
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone on AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I was able to use my regular cell number as outgoing caller-id with hangouts.
    When I recently registered with GV, and was assigned a gv #, from then on that was the only allowed option for caller-id for gv AND hangouts.
    Jake

Feedback Score
    Looks like Hangouts app does not allow to make phone calls any more. I have Hangouts on my both phones and starting last night the phone dialer is missing from the app.

So had to download Google Voice app to make calls. GV app seem to be more stable than Hangouts app and it comes with caller ID as to whom you are calling to. For example I called my place of work last night using GV, and caller ID showed the name of business I was calling.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_D View Post
    Looks like Hangouts app does not allow to make phone calls any more. I have Hangouts on my both phones and starting last night the phone dialer is missing from the app.

So had to download Google Voice app to make calls. GV app seem to be more stable than Hangouts app and it comes with caller ID as to whom you are calling to. For example I called my place of work last night using GV, and caller ID showed the name of business I was calling.
    Hangouts hasn't changed, at least not as of today. I use Hangouts every day, including today, for all calls and texts on my cell phone.

Feedback Score
    I just successfully placed another call with Hangouts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I just successfully placed another call with Hangouts.
    I still can't make a call on both phones and tried app's every settings. I can text, but dialer icon is missing on both phones. And even downloaded the new version of Hangouts from app store and dialer icon is still missing.

May be it have something to do with me using Hangouts app with the same number on two different phones.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast